Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: bloody rain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 bloody rain 
    I've had a few emails from people a bit geographically unaware, asking if I am OK with the floods in Australia having tragically killed a few people last two days and in the current process of flooding an area the size of many countries. Thanks for the concern, appreciated, answered singly but I thought I would post this too.

I am 1700 km away and safe. The weather has arrived down here though, 5 inches (125mm) in a day, emptied the raingauge and it filled another 25mm in the last shower half an hour ago. I am sure plenty of places see this kind of rain, but not round here, usually we are worrying about totally dry forests and raging fires. Now we have flash floods across a continent. Global warming?

Even in rich countries with technology and infrastructure, fires and floods kill the old, unaware, unlucky and the young, that is the horror of it. The deaths came from a combination of factors that created and pushed an 8 meter high wall of water through a valley and smashed into small towns like a tsunami, no warning, just seconds to escape - or not.

Helicopters and rescue boats cannot handle those conditions and most of the army is away busy killing people elsewhere but the wonderful and highly trained Voluntary Emergency Services Australia relies on in fires and floods, and some army reservists, will get in there.

And the run off from those type of events over a couple of days is flooding out Brisbane, a major state capital. Anyway, you will see it on the news. And in a few days if I can get on the m'bike, I will be riding mud again!

We can deploy armies around the world, we can go to the moon but we cannot work out how to live with fire and water. Gonna cost many billions of dollars this one.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

2. #2 Re: bloody rain 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Deepest condolences on Austrialia's losses. What a way to break a decade-long drought.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: bloody rain 
    thanks Jeff. tragedy is always real for the familes involved,a nd the homes and business ruined are many, but many of us also feel a deep anger. We know what this country is, but people still die and the economies are ruined while we sell off the assets cheap. And buy them back as chinabikes and cheap electronics, I know. We are all feeling a bit helpless and guilty too. Apart from the looters, there's always a few of those mongrels.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

4. #4 Re: bloody rain 
    C-Moto Senior
    Always a tragedy as we see this unfold on our TVs, you keep safe mate

5. #5 Re: bloody rain 
    I'm glad you're safe Jape, this is indeed a major tradgedy.

Members of my family are in Brisbane and are safe, but they have lost a lot. No flood insurance on their business and so far they estimate over 1 million in damages and destroyed inventory

ChinaV

6. #6 Re: bloody rain 
    Blimey Lorne! Sorry to hear that, glad they are Ok though. There's a lot of bullshit spoken about the 'aussie spirit' but strangely in the main it is true for so many people here even if not born in Oz and especially in times of disaster! They'll get through. Maybe we'll see you and the missus over here with a shovel and bucket?

They must be so pissed of that despite 6 million dollar weather computers and modelling software, one fukkin rain storm and all of a sudden they cannot predict or prevent, or even give warning for a major city. This will change everything if we don't let the pollies spin it; fires last year cost a 170 lives but they've done very little. I guess while it is so close to the tragedy we shouldn't spew about it, but everyone is!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

7. #7 Re: bloody rain 
    I have been sitting quietly this evening, fed up with crap TV. Had six inches of rain as I said before, usually that can take six months! Floods into my State now, local rivers over the banks but slowly and not (fortunately) in my direct area yet. Not a lot of flash flooding except in small areas where we expect it. And a very violent 'storm cell' just flash-flooded through 70 properties just 15 km away but I am above them ...

The creek just 30 metres away is roaring through the block loudly enough that I can hear it in the house, it is up a meter and rising but slowly enough that I think where I live there couldn't be enough water from the slopes around to get it up the 2 meters to me as only a couple of inches more rain due next two days ... I guess a few have been saying that and finding out otherwise. Oh well, maybe my blow-up doll can act as a kayak ...

The strangest thing is hearing 60 foot trees fall over in the bush around me, hell of a thump. Nothing close to the house though, being lazy and worried about bush fires the closest were the first I cut down for firewood! They survive decades of drought and grow for a century, but once the soil is waterlogged they can go over without any wind. I think about the animals too. A few tiger snakes and brown snakes wandering about looking for a dry spot. Will have to keep the doors shut, they like warm beds.

Good news, my ex GF who lives in Warwick, Queensland in an area which is badly flooded out, she was missing for two days but has finally managed to get her mobile phone charged from a neighbour's generator and let us all know she is OK. The creek was a hundred meters from her but only rose 8.2 meters ... I checked on Google Earth and her house was at 8.4 meters! Landlines and power were out so we were concerned.

ChinaV, I just saw on the news that $15,000 grants will be available for affected primary producers and small businesses and $100K low interest loans. All helps.
    Last edited by jape; 01-12-2011 at 12:31 PM.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

8. #8 Re: bloody rain 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    My sincere condolences to Australia's loss. It's at times like these that we remember what's important for us, at least I hope we do.
    On a separate yet somewhat related issue, here's to people who don't believe the green house gas effect is not real.

Nice clear blue sky, then look at that gray layer on the horizon. I'm sure this is not only in China. I suppose you have to be an an a certain elevation relative to the mountains you're looking at to see this. Now think of it as a plastic bag wrapped around us.

9. #9 Re: bloody rain 
    Just a quick update as I am on battery power. Been without power and internet for 18 hrs. Had another six inches of rain (not forecast as anything like that) and 100 kph winds. Finally clearing and I have been able to get generator and things going. Disappointed in some of the back-up devices, storage batteries and inverters etc. that I relied on being bloody useless, more on that another day, however I am always cautious so have candles and longlife milk and tins of food. Which is good because the freezer and fridge contents are lost, I shall have a big cook up tonight of some stuff that is cold but not frozen so it isn't totally wasted! Having to light the fire for the first time in summer in twenty years, just to dry out the air a bit and give me a water heating source and cooking ability.

Can't get out anywhere, waters still rising in plenty of places and the local village is totally isolated by water. The good thing about it all is the Kinlon took me 40 meters through 2 foot/600mm flooded creek without any problems, however other places were much deeper so I had to return. Dammit, out of cigars!

This gave me a chance to check out emergency gear, as I said disappointed in somethings, but more than anything my new waterproof rucksack, new waterproof tool-bag and so on got soaked and the tools are now drying out before they turn to a mass of rust. I had them oiled up so not too bad. And my expensive new storm gear soake dme from head to foot. Bloody useless waste of money. It isn't too bad being wet in summer, just glad I found out before winter rains.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

10. #10 Re: bloody rain 
    Bloody hell Jape, i'm actually starting to worry about you. Running out of things to smoke is a massive bummer! I sincerely hope you make it through intact, there are many beers to be had when you get here and many robots to slaughter before that. Soldier on sir. Oh and congrats on the waterproof gear; i still haven't found ANY gear that can match an upside down bin bag for waterproofness.

Slabo, that picture is terrifying. Thank you for reminding us all what we are breathing everyday in china. Thank god there is nowhere near shanghai to take a picture like that, seeing it might make me rethink my life...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast