Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Great Ride Forward 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi All,

Just wanted to make a quick introduction. Been following the community here for a while now, been a world of help as I prepare for this:

Great Ride Forward www.greatrideforward.com

Next week, my colleague Hans and I will set off on a two-month journey through southern China and SE Asia. Starting from Kunming, we hope to cross through 5 countries before heading back north to Shanghai.

We're riding Shineray GY-7s, thanks largely to the tales from SuperSignet on this site. We've had the bikes for around 3 months and have hammered on them during a few day trips outside Shanghai (never expected to see sand dunes around here..). We'll be shipping the bikes out to Kunming later this week before starting our journey on the 24th.

We'd love to connect with any riders out there in Yunnan or SE Asia, just pass along a note here or to pbwinter @ greatrideforward.com We're lucky enough to have very few obligations during our ride, so if you are anywhere near our intended route, let us know. Any tips for great sites and rides, we'd definitely appreciate them.

While our equipment isn't as extensive as the MK Ride guys (cheers to Ryan for helping us plan our journey!), we do hope to get enough footage/pics/stories for a short documentary or series of articles. We plan to update the website consistently during the trip and will be sure to keep the MyChinaMoto community updated as well.

Best,
    Pete

2. #2 Re: Great Ride Forward 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Welcome to MCM. Wish you the best of luck.
    GY-7s.. I have the same bike! I see your's is still clean, for now at least. I'm also very interested to see what preparations you've done for your trip.
    Hope to see you soon, emailing now..

Great Leap/Ride forward.. interesting name, what's the connection?

3. #3 Re: Great Ride Forward 
    NICE!

Good to see others doing a big ride like this, and on chinabikes this time! Fair play! Are ye planning any mods on your Long Marches before setting off, apart from caking it in stickers?

Your website is very nice, i'm looking forward to following your Se Asia tour. You seem well versed in photography too which is always a pleasure in ride reports!

This Hans chap knows what he's doing it would seem! Have you gotten the knee down on the long march yet?

4. #4 Re: Great Ride Forward 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Good to see others doing a big ride like this, and on chinabikes this time! Fair play! Are ye planning any mods on your Long Marches before setting off, apart from caking it in stickers?
    We have ordered a bunch of parts from the Shanghai Shineray dealer Shao Min (a great guy if you are in the Shanghai area, always organizing rides!) and they have just got in. I plan on taking the bike over to his shop and getting some photos of us fitting them out in the next couple days so be sure to check back on the site! So far we have only outfitted a new headlight bulb and ultra-bright LED high-beams, along with a GPS mount.

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    This Hans chap knows what he's doing it would seem! Have you gotten the knee down on the long march yet?
    :P

5. #5 Re: Great Ride Forward 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Fantastic - and I affirm Felix's comment that it is wonderful watching people get around on Chinese mounts.

Best wishes to you - I'll be watching closely and with great interest.

6. #6 Re: Great Ride Forward 
    Hi folks and another welcome from the Chinese capital.

I will follow your story and I am curious about how you'll get into Vietnam and re-enter China.

All the best

Andy

7. #7 Re: Great Ride Forward 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Vietnam is indeed the big question mark. From what we know, the country has very strict vehicle import laws, so unlikely to get our bikes in there. If anyone has done it or has some thoughts, let us know.

Much of this trip is just a get-up-and-go kind of thing, we'll just take what comes our way - if we have to sell the bikes in Cambodia, cross the border, and get something else in Vietnam, we'll consider it.

The bikes are Jiangsu plated and registered.

8. #8 Re: Great Ride Forward 
    Hey i have a question just out of curiosity, because i've seen other people do this too and don't quite get the point: why make a website for a bike ride? Clearly you've spent a bit of time thinking about, designing and building it; and it's nice too. Is there a commercial aspect to it, or is it a place for family and friends to see what you're up to while you're gone, or is it something else i don't get?

Looking forward to the mods!

9. #9 Re: Great Ride Forward 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Other than just a fun way to document the ride, I hope to publish some articles and photos during the trip. We're also hoping to capture enough footage for a short documentary, already spoken with a few interested parties. A site is just the easiest way to show it off.

10. #10 Re: Great Ride Forward 
    Thanks for the clarification. Best of luck to both of you on the trip, i like your happy-go-lucky attitude!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast