Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: petrol run or blue plate run ? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    By the way, welcome Steve_R. Who are you and where have you been lurking with all your expertise? Look forward to reading more of your posts.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #52 Re: petrol run or blue plate run ? 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks, euphonius. I've been in Shanghai for 6 years off and on. Nowadays teaching math for the international program of a downtown high school. It's a great board here -- the best information I've seen on legalities and police, which is what I focus on. I ride a black Yamaha 125, used to be a humble scooter but upgraded. I've got lots of riding experience both downtown and the outskirts of Shanghai as I used to work for a school way out there past Qingpu. The best thing about riding is the freedom, and also the time savings. My riding career all started because a 3-hour convoluted transport journey to get downtown (one-way trip) was reduced to just over an hour with a bike.

3. #53 Re: petrol run or blue plate run ? 
    Glad you finally came out of the, err, garage. I'm more of a weekend rider, as I don't need to ride to get to work (I walk down the hall from my bedroom to my study). Guys like you who ride daily are hardcore, and have so much to offer in terms of understanding the nuances and changes of the street. Please feel free to post early and often. I'll echo Jape's accolades. Great first post, filled with evidence-based knowledge.

We've got a nice group of Shanghai motozens (new coinage) and we've had one gathering in recent weeks. I'm keen to make this a regular thing, maybe once or twice a month as the weather improves at some outdoor place where we can park our steeds, shoot the sheet and nurture friendships. I'd be happy to have both Bike Nights with coffee or other non-adult beverages and (No-)Bike Nights with adult libations. Just really leery of mixing bikes with tipple.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

4. #54 Re: petrol run or blue plate run ? 
    I speaking with my tailor, a local last week. He said he lent his bike to a friend who got it confiscated. Basically the friend was riding around downtown and two police cops came up behind him. He and the other scooters around him got "herded" into a group of policemen awaiting him in the front. Basically nowhere to go. So he lost his unplated bike.

5. #55 Re: petrol run or blue plate run ? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
    As for the petrol situation, there was a post sometime ago that said the petrol ban for bikes was only within inner Shanghai -- the boundary being defined as the second ring road, or the S20.

To confirm whether this was true or not, I rode out a few km past that border on a major road. I attempted to get the bike filled, and it was a failure. They took a look at the (lack of) plates, asked for my registration, and politely apologized, saying they could not fill the bike because of a rule. I then asked if this rule extended beyond the outer ring road, and they said it is the same rule whether in downtown or the suburbs. I was told the traffic police made it up. Again they were nice and cordial about the whole thing, which took place in Chinese. No hard feelings felt, but also no fuel. I figured this was because I was still within Xuhui district -- considered primarily as a downtown district.

So I kept going further out, by now this was Minhang district, and easily got the fuel no problem.

The clue to whether or not the particular gas station enforces the rule has to do with a sign in Chinese near the pumps that says 'Forbidden to ...... fill gas' and two characters in the middle that I can't make out.

While the ring road is a guideline, I also think the distinction has more to do with downtown vs. suburban districts. In other words, you need to pick districts that are considered suburban ones, and you also need to be outside of the ring road. The following would work, based on this theory:

-- Minhang (outside the ring)
    -- Songjiang
    -- Qingpu
    -- Baoshan
    -- Jiading
    -- Pudong or Nanhui (outside the ring)

Then again, I'll need to investigate more to see if those signs are present at the gas station or not, as that will test if the theory is really true. For the next attempt I'll try the 'TOTAL' gas station on Caobao Road near Qibao, first one as you go past the ring road. That's a 20 minute ride from my apartment in Xujiahui area -- not far.

As for getting the fake plates, it's an option worth trying to get the fuel downtown, but there's no real benefit in terms of the police letting you go if stopped. In fact, it is probably worse with the fake plates. Let's face it, to be on the safe side, you'll still be playing the same ol' cat and mouse game with fake plates, as if you had no plates.

The reason why the suburban districts are your best for fuel is because those districts are effectively the countryside where ordinary folk and farmers need the gas to make a living. Denying gas to them is not likely to happen. So make the most of it, go for a suburban run when your tank is 1/4 full, plan ahead, and you're fine.
    Just to update people, I live in Songjiang and without Blue plate....NO PETROL.. will be trying outside of city for fuel.

6. #56 Re: petrol run or blue plate run ? 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Falloffalot View Post
    Just to update people, I live in Songjiang and without Blue plate....NO PETROL.. will be trying outside of city for fuel.
    I suppose outside the city means in another province. But who wants to go into Jiangsu or Zhejiang just for fuel, and then risk getting caught at the border checkpoints?!

This is worrisome news. I got checked for plates out in Qingpu the other week, and we're not talking the district center either. It was the first SINOPEC gas station on the Huqingping after crossing the provincial line. Since I've recently got fake plates installed, those passed the cursory check and I got the fuel.

Then again, the last fill-up was in the middle of town, right on Hutai Lu in the north part of the city. So it probably depends from gas station to station.

Best bet is to go to private gas stations (TOTAL or EASYJOY), where they will let you fill up if you agree to purchase goods at the convenience store. I got this information from the local Chinese papers and friends who have successfully used this tactic.

7. #57 Re: petrol run or blue plate run ? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Yes, even if theres some ways to get petrol in black market its being a pain in the ass to drive lilke this, always worried and controlling the fuel level. I see different clients everyday in diferent parts of shanghai and by subway or taxi i spend to much time and much more money. Does anyone know any super Ebike seller, not that expensive and that runs more than 60 kilometers with one time charge?? Looking for it.. thanks

8. #58 Re: petrol run or blue plate run ? 
    I bought a 'super-ebike' from the shop on xietu lu & damuqiao lu. (exact address is 斜土路1360号) Here's their taobao shop:

http://dianmozhijia.taobao.com/

The standard specs are usually 800W motor, 48V 20amp battery (4 cells). That'll get you up to 45/50khp and a range of about 40km. If you want longer range, get an extra 4 cells (around 800 rmb) added bringing it to 48V 40amps. It'll be heavier but will take you the distance.

It's not as much fun as a scooter or motorbike, but the peace of mind is really nice. Don't have to worry at intersections, do u turns when you see police or plan weird routes just to avoid certain intersections.

You can even ride it home drunk from the bar without risking your license or career. I'm not saying it's a good idea, i'm just saying...

9. #59 Re: petrol run or blue plate run ? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Heyyy man, thanks so much, i will check there. I live in xietu lu, close to luban lu, so its very close for me. Didnt know they could add and extra battery and actually never stop in this store coz passing by, i never saw some a litlle bigger ebike, once im 1.88m and sometimes drive with my girl on the back... Anyway, looks like this extra battery can solve my problems, and i can keep my petrol one fueled up for special occcasions...

Thanks

10. #60 Re: petrol run or blue plate run ? 
    Are these bikes that Felix introduced similar to the models you saw in Alibaba?

Anyway, please report back what you buy, and let us know how you get on.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast