Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Yamaha TT-R 250 Raid 
    Long time no talk hao peng yous.

So I made the work decision to move up to Baotou, Inner Mongolia. I'll miss the weather and the roads in the south, but I figures this gives me a chance to see something new. Any peng yous up in Inner Mongolia, give me a shout.

ANYWAY! Enough about me, now about the bike. I decided to not go Chinese because I found that there is a plethora of decent bikes up in Baotou that seem to be in good repair. Many of them are enduros and dirt bikes as well, which is something I was looking for.

http://bt.58.com/danche/3650528441730x.shtml

I found this 2006 tt-r in pretty good nick, but haven't had a chance to look at it. I guess it's unmodified, and the guy that owns it really loves it. He said it's quick, does great offroad, handles the inner Mongolian roads well, and it's very reliable. Now I have a few questions for you folks!

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this bike? What are the chances I will be able to modify and repair it with any confidence (reliable mechanics/dealers etc) Should I bargain it down from 16,000? What price would you think is acceptable?

I've been doing a lot of reading about this thing, and it seems like quite the little machine. Maybe even a possible long term touring bike. Thanks guys!

2. #2 Re: Yamaha TT-R 250 Raid 
    Looks almost like the XT250, I have the previous version, the XT225 and it is a rock solid bike.
    http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #3 Re: Yamaha TT-R 250 Raid 
    Do you use it in China? Or are you currently in Florida? I am just a bit worried about the expense and availability of parts, not to mention someone I can trust to fix it up when it inevitably gets ripped to shreds in inner Mongolia.

4. #4 Re: Yamaha TT-R 250 Raid 
    Never been to China but after spending time on his forum I want to go. If I was riding in China I'd get a Chinese bike. My Qlink XF200 (Qingqi) seems as well built as my Yamaha XT225.
    I winter in Florida and summer in North Carolina.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

5. #5 Re: Yamaha TT-R 250 Raid 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Looks very tempting.
    Whether you get, Chinese or Japanese, be ready to either lower your performance expectations or take on the maintanance jobs yourself. I've never been satisfied with the service I got on my bike here, and in general I had to check what mechanics are doing and tell them were they've missed grease, where to use new washers. I had to replace a sprocket today. Sellers said no problem, it will fit.. I have a Chinese bike, and they still had no idea. I had to take off the wheel by myself, compare and eventually somehow got the job done. There are some issues I'm not sure about, so I'll ask here see if someone can help out. But I've seen all types of bikes around, mostly japanese. Can't remember ever seeing a KTM anywhere.. So they must be getting parts somewhere.
    Good luck man.

Edit:: Found this, maybe a better choice? You can literally take it anywhere! Yours for only 24RMB, shipping included!! http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8797933427

Last edited by slabo; 01-19-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: thought it's funny

6. #6 Re: Yamaha TT-R 250 Raid 
    ^

7. #7 Re: Yamaha TT-R 250 Raid 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    Looks very tempting.
    Whether you get, Chinese or Japanese, be ready to either lower your performance expectations or take on the maintanance jobs yourself. I've never been satisfied with the service I got on my bike here, and in general I had to check what mechanics are doing and tell them were they've missed grease, where to use new washers. I had to replace a sprocket today. Sellers said no problem, it will fit.. I have a Chinese bike, and they still had no idea. I had to take off the wheel by myself, compare and eventually somehow got the job done. There are some issues I'm not sure about, so I'll ask here see if someone can help out. But I've seen all types of bikes around, mostly japanese. Can't remember ever seeing a KTM anywhere.. So they must be getting parts somewhere.
    Good luck man.

Edit:: Found this, maybe a better choice? You can literally take it anywhere! Yours for only 24RMB, shipping included!! http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8797933427

slabo,
    You got me there for a minute. Not nice to fool your elders. I was getting ready to ask about tubeless tires......
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

8. #8 Re: Yamaha TT-R 250 Raid 
    the chinese version:

available here

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4446
    Last edited by jape; 01-20-2011 at 02:08 AM.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

9. #9 Re: Yamaha TT-R 250 Raid 
    Hey Matt, there must be some great riding up where you are,eh? A friend of mine did a tour around Mongolia this summer on ktm 450's and the company was selling their
    yamaha wrf250 off i think?? I'll get a number for you, or do a tour company search and call the companies direct, you might get lucky
    i had a ttr250 raid about 10 years ago in England and it was a great trail bike, big tank, great looks and electric start, at the time it was better than my mates honda xr250's, a bit heavy though!
    My advice is this.. i saw one for sale in Guillin about 2 years ago and it was 12000rmb and like new, immaculate, and my friends said it had been for sale about a year, it was parked outside a restuarant in the main shopping street. So 16000rmb sounds a hell of a lot of money when you can buy a Galaxy TGR for 11500rmb delivered to you.
    If you do go with the yamaha check everything like swingarm bearings, steering bearings, clutch, startermotor and tyres, brakes and sprockets.. i don't mean that they work but they are like new and don't need replacing. pretend you've bought it and try to order some parts and see if anyone can help. Make sure the vin mumber is present on the frame and the doc's are in order. This bike looks to me to be a mid to late 90's bike so will be between 10 and 15 years old!!
    Just my 2 cents.. cheers
    Rich

10. #10 Re: Yamaha TT-R 250 Raid 
    C-Moto Regular
    ya, that price might be a little high

http://bj.58.com/danche/4788362834051x.shtml
    Beijing: 2008 125cc Qingqi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast