Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Listed in the USA EPA certifications for 2007 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    2007 is the latest data that the EPA has made public. This covers road legal motorcycle and motor scooter models up through about a year and a half ago. Road vehicles must be certified to comply with EPA Emissions requirements to be legally sold in the USA.

Chinese manufacturers with one or more models certified as complying with USA emissions requirements for 2007: American Jiajue, American Kayak, American Lifan, American Qianjiang, Benzhou, CFMoto, Chuanl USA, Dafier, Hensim USA, Jiangsu Baodiao Locomotive, Jinli USA, Jonway, Kenbo, Kangchao Group, Kangxin, Loncin, Peace Industry Group, Qianjiang, Sukida USA, Tomoto Industries, Xingyue USA, Zongshen. (23)

Private label importers of Chinese built motorcycles and motor scooters with one or more models certified as complying with USA emissions requirements for 2007: Activmo Auto, Avanti, Bajaj USA, Baron, Caltestco, Carter Bros., CMSI, Devon, Eagle Craft, Freedom Motor, FYM-USA, Goldenvale, GMI-RSM Ventures, Italica Motors, LS Motorsports, Johnny Pag, Marathon, Mod, Motofino, Motorscience Enterprise, Metro Rider, Pacific Cycle, Pioneer Motors, QP Sports, Rhon Powersports, RTM, Runmaster, JM Star, SunL Group, Sunright, Tank, United Motors, Vento N.A., Yamati, Zen Powersports. (36)

tcs
    Last edited by PresterJohn; 06-05-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Interesting lists. Pioneer Motors seemed to be re-labelers (don't quote me if that is a real word or not ) of Qingqi, but made an exit in the US, as the Pioneers USA site redirects you back to their Chinese site .

I see Italika all day long, but only because I work about a mile from the Mexican border, and the Mexicans who commute to the US to work ride them--as far as I can tell, they are only available in Mexico. Goldenvale is Roketa (I think Shineray manufactures alot of their stuff). LS is Diamo. United Motors relabels Skyteam stuff. Kayak has some very nice, Lifan-twin machines (their GY-7 looks identical to the GY-5 Lifan, but has a 250cc motor, and their GY-6 looks like the Lifan GY-6--however the only Kayak I have seen in the US is on Ebay, and is one fugly 250 enduro, so have no idea what drugs the importer was on when they ordered a container of them, and not the Lifan twins ) Tank and Vento seem to be re-labled crap from some low-end manufacturer . Runmaster is Kinroad. The other relabled stuff I am not too familiar with, although I had thought Bajaj was from India, but they probably didn't have the technology or something.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Bajaj is Indian. Bajaj USA was importing Chetak scooters and then Bajaj of India quit building them. Bajaj USA is now selling Chinese mfr. scoots with Loncin engines under the Argo brand.

tcs

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    This isn't all the legal China bikes and scoots in the USA - there are others on the 2005 and earlier certification lists, and the EPA hasn't made public the 2006 and 2008 lists. (I'm thinking about Hi-Bird, QLINK and a few others missing from the '07 data.)

But I think it's interesting that for each of the bike models (brand + engine family) these 59 companies are importing, somebody paid the money to have a certification test performed and the data and results sent to the EPA. The plan of course is to make that money back with sales.

tcs
    Last edited by PresterJohn; 06-05-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Wow, that's a lot of small motorcycle manufacturers! Interesting to see Bajaj in there and to find out they're selling Chinese scooters?!?!?

I was also curious about some missing companies like QingQi (Qlink) and Jialing as they've been selling bikes in the US for at least a year now.

Can you pass on where you got the info from Prester?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Right here:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/crttst.htm

Best,
    tcs