Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Motorbike in Shanghai & getting legal 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Pal,

Sorry, but I fail to understand your venom in replying to a new member's very first post. To my eye, Jalgo's asking precisely how to become a legal, law-abiding motorcyclist in Shanghai. Did your mum beat you as a child?

cheers
    Looked like sarcasm to me.

2. #12 Re: Motorbike in Shanghai & getting legal 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Jalgo, short answers to questions: L visa = no license, you need a Z visa and working permit. However, where in jiangsu is your visa from? If it's suzhou i might know someone who can help, but if he can it'll be expensive. For the plate, first you need to know if that model is legally registerable in china. If it is, then shanghai plates will cost around 44000 RMB. For the long answer, use the search button!
    Not exactly sure about Shanghai, however most other parts of middle earth, including Beijing. Government relaxed policy in 2006. Pre 2006 you needed a Z visa and work permit to get a license. Post 2006 you need a visa with 90 days left before expiry, any visa. You can get a foreign drivers license transferred thru an agency such as FESCO. I found this was very difficult, seems easier to get a drivers license the same way as Chinese Nationals do. Find out where in your area you can take a driving course for motorcycle. Find out what process you must go thru and get your license. Recently someone in Beijing was kind and posted the Beijing process on thebeijinger.com. Cheers.

3. #13 Re: Motorbike in Shanghai & getting legal 
    Hello guys....

I am just got my first bike ( Yamaha TZM 150 - in shi**y condtion ), but with the help of one of the great members here, it will be running on the street soon...

But i am so Fu***ng afriad of the police...
    I do not have driving license and my bike has fake shanghai plate... ( i also have Zhejiang palte - but i think it not valid any more - attached )

so i want to make things better
    Is it correct that my plate is expired.... How can i renew it???
    If i got my driving licesne, how bad it could happen coz of the Zhejiang plate ( after i renew it if expired )

Thats would be all

Note: i did search in the fourm about what i asked for, but i did not really find the correct topic...

Cheers
    Hany

24072011105.jpg

4. #14 Re: Motorbike in Shanghai & getting legal 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Hany,

Hate to break the news to you, but that registration card you posted says that your "mandatory scrapping deadline" passed on 22 February 2011. Whether the card is legal or fake, I'm assuming a cop would have every right to send the bike to the impound yard for recycling.

What year is the bike? Surely it can't be 11 years old?

cheers
    Last edited by euphonius; 07-29-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #15 Re: Motorbike in Shanghai & getting legal 
    Dear Euphonius

I did not really got it,.... are you saying that. Can not ride this bike in china, coz its 1998 model???

And if by any chance I got quoted by the police they can take it for recycling!!!!!

Oh crap..... is there is any thing can be done, to avoid this?????

6. #16 Re: Motorbike in Shanghai & getting legal 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Not sure what advice to give you. I suppose that fake plates are better than no plates, but they offer you no protection if indeed you are stopped by police. Is it possible to get this bike legal? Probably, but it won't be easy to do in Shanghai. There are people in Shanghai who may be able to make your bike legal in places like Huzhou, Zhejiang, though I doubt whether it would be in your name. With legal Zhejiang or other waidi plates, you could ride in suburban Shanghai with little problem, and even into central Shanghai without fear of confiscation, though you'd be eligible for 200 rmb fines if stopped inside the Inner Ring (Zhongshan Lu). I have no idea how to get a Huzhou or other Zhejiang plate, but I know people who know people who do know how. PM me if you'd like more guidance.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #17 Re: Motorbike in Shanghai & getting legal 
    C-Moto Noob
    I had a 125cc scooter that I've been riding around for about a year. Fake plates, no license. Never been hassled.

Yesterday at about 2pm i rode right into it. Zhongshan Lu and Caoxi lu checkpoint (near IKEA). I was careless. Stopped, confiscated the bike and said I could get it back if I pay a 500 RMB fine. It was a beat up bike and not too reliable anyway, so I'm not even going to bother.

I feel like they still don't care too much, just don't ride into the checkpoints. I'd like to go legal though, just to avoid the hassle. Do you need a license to ride a LPG bike?

8. #18 Re: Motorbike in Shanghai & getting legal 
    Thanks alot for sharing....

i also have related question to the LPG... i see many gas scooter using this LPG with number as a plate... but i do not know what in H**L they use it for..

so the question here: can i use this LPG plate as a licesnse plate?? of course not for my big bike.... but for normal 125~150CC scooter!!!!

Regards
    HanY

9. #19 Re: Motorbike in Shanghai & getting legal 
    Similar question here...

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...er-in-Shanghai

"can i use this LPG plate as a licesnse plate?? of course not for my big bike.... but for normal 125~150CC scooter!!!!"

I've met an ABC guy doing something alike, he converted his LPG to regular gas, told me he just don't pull on the throttle near the coppers so they don't hear it's gas powered...

Better than what u suggested because a control would show authentic LPG vehicle registration...

There has been LPG ban rumors.

Some senior member will come and tell u what.

Now, is there any smaller category of licence allowing circulation with <50cc engine?

There was, dunno about now.

See this document:

http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog...838ce99da2.jpg

I dunno which one it is, but seeing the prices differences, u might want to go for the E licence anyways...

Find a good "How to get the licence?" guide at the bottom of my post.

To agong029:

Shanghai is in the middle of the latest "punch" operation to filter out as many illegal vehicles as they can.

They do this every few months, and then it relaxes. But this one lasts longer it seems.

Good friend of mine lost his scooter the same way as u did, couple weeks ago, as I also know how it feels; sincerely sorry for u.

Now, I feel like u've been lucky; he's been told:

Penalty for no plate: 700RMB (only if u want it back... Must present valid E/D driving licence too)

Penalty for fake plate: from nothing to 2 weeks in jail + deportation if they feel like it (probably depending on: do u have valid license/resist arrest/cause accident/drunk drive/etc...), unsure if u can get the thing back, but it seems u can as they offered u 500 RMB for it...

Times are tough.

Anyways, u're better off without plates than with fake ones.

Ur Laowai status offers some "DingBuDong" protection plan, but it's not as workable as a few years ago, when some cop will let u go, some will give u all the trouble he possibly can...

My friend was putting them on before to go get gas, then removing them...

Dodgy again as some coppers have been reported to wait in the dark near gas stations...

Yea...

How to get a licence guide:

http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog...-from-scratch/

If u're lucky and have a foreign moto licence (any cc will do as it's all the same for CH gov), u won't need to pass the practical test (where u drive the bike), the theoretical test will do in addition to going translate ur foreign licence at an official translation office and passing a physical examination. It is a bit time consuming. It is totally worth the effort though.

Here u can download the questions u'll be asked:

http://www.shjtaq.com/wsbs/more.asp

Click on this:

道路交通安全法律、法规和相关知识考试--英语版

That's the english version, click it wherever u're from cause the French & Spanish version were showing different answers to the same questions, while the English was the one making most sense, then they'll ask u in what language u wanna pass the test, say ENGLISH.

Takes about 2 weeks between making test appointment and actual test.

Yea, there are more than 1000 questions, a computer will select 100 randomly out of it, and good luck with those.

Read it thoroughly twice it should suffice.

U know as much as me now,

Let a senior member confirm about eventual LPG ban, then u'll know more...

Peace.

10. #20 Re: Motorbike in Shanghai & getting legal 
    C-Moto Noob
    braillce, thanks for the info.

Yes, it seems that they're really out to get gas bikes these days. I just saw a new checkpoint right at the intersection of hengshan rd and wanping rd, where xujiahui park is, so avoid that spot. I've seen other bikes being taken in passing too. Way more than in the past few months. The cop said my plate was fake, but didn't seem too interested or bother to check. He just wanted to get my bike off the road and said plainly enough that I can get it back the next day if I pay the fine. I suppose I was fortunate?

It seems like a hassle to get a license, because if I wanted to be fully legal, I'd still need legit plates, which I understand cost a fortune. I wouldn't mind an LPG bike if I don't need a license and I can figure out where to fuel up. Any answers? But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if LPG's are banned soon to

Anyway, for those interested, I pulled this address off the mudflap of an LPG bike i was walking past. 647 QuXi Road in luwan. (瞿溪路647号). I'll go check it out if I can figure out the answers to my questions above. I'm really hoping to not have to go back to electric.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast