Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: GPS Buying Tips

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 GPS Buying Tips 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob Just Charlie's Avatar
    I'm in the market for a GPS and have found a lot of options, but I'm not sure which one to decide on. I've narrowed it down to Garmin since everyone I've spoken to personally says that's the manufacturer to stick with. If you use a GPS, what kind do you have and which features are really useful for riding? Do you have yours wired to your bike or do you run it on batteries? Is vibration an issue?

I noticed that Garmin makes a few models specifically for motorcycle use, but they're large touch screen units meant to be used with gloves. That's cool but I'm thinking I might opt for something smaller and less expensive like a hand held unit that can also be used for camping or trekking. Thoughts?

I have just purchased a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX and I am still learning how to use it.But From other Forums and speaking to people this is the one for me it can be mounted to the handle bar it has a micro SD card which I can load maps on to and up load as well you can get the City navigator maps(do not know about China city navigator)It can take a fair bit of abuse.Try this site for explanation of GPS
    http://www.gpstrailhead.com/
    You might want to look at Delorme they say they have better topo maps but Garmin have better street maps I do not know as i have never seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Charlie View Post
    ... If you use a GPS, what kind do you have and which features are really useful for riding? Do you have yours wired to your bike or do you run it on batteries? Is vibration an issue? ...

I am using different kinds of GPS receivers or systems.

I have a Garmin Street Pilot 2610 with a motorcycle cradle wired to the bike. It has a touch screen and some additional buttons on the cradle, easy to use, even with gloves. The tracklog memory is a bit small - it is only good for half a day of riding or some 300 kms. Newer models, like the 2820 have a larger memory good for approx. 3 days.

To record my tracks I use a tracking device (Trackpicker 120) without any display (just a power LED) but a very large memory good for many days or weeks of riding, depending on resolution settings. Disadvantage of this one is that I have to connect it to the bike's battery or a car's cigarette lighter. There are newer devices, such as the Qstarz 1000P, which works close to 24 hours with one charge and which has a large memory too.

The third one I am using is a HTC pocket PC - phone and a bluetooth GPSr. Very nice to use it with Google maps and a GPS software called Pathaway. It allows the use of scanned maps and can send your current position via SMS to a remote computer or a tracking gateway. Disadvantages: It is not rugged enough for bike use and the screen isn't too bright in direct sunlight.

No. 4 is my notebook computer where I connect a bluetooth GPSr to. With Touratech QV4, probably the best GPS software currently on the market, it makes it an almost unbeatable system if there wasn't the size and weight.

I am also considering to buy a handheld and almost decided to go for a Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx. Disadvantages for bike use are the small screen an buttons and you have to do the mount by yourself.

Unfortunately there is no perfect solution to cover all needs, that's why I am working on a "bike-pc", which will hopefully fulfill all my fancy GPS needs.

Finally one important point: MAPS
    There is a lack of good maps in China, which are usable for Garmin GPSr's. So check out map availability for your area / country or the places your planning to go.

There are some free maps around at cgpsmapper, but only for a few places in China (they have maps from all over the planet).

Yunnanexplorer offers some free TOPOs of Yunnan

Topographic maps are important for trekking, street maps for riding. If you buy a Garmin here, you may get a quite updated China street map.

I hope it's not too confusing, but GPS, which goes along with cartography is a huuuuuuge topic.

For your case I think the best solution is a Garmin mapping handheld.
    Also consider that it runs with standard AA size batteries.

Andy

To record my tracks I use a tracking device (Trackpicker 120) without any display (just a power LED) but a very large memory good for many days or weeks of riding, depending on resolution settings. Disadvantage of this one is that I have to connect it to the bike's battery or a car's cigarette lighter. There are newer devices, such as the Qstarz 1000P, which works close to 24 hours with one charge and which has a large memory too.
    I've seen some of these trackers with track log memory, integrated solar panel and bluetooth support for less than 1000RMB ($150).

Also for those like me running Linux, they should look at Viking GPS Viewer. It allows download of Google Maps and satellite images, Terraserver, Openstreetmap and to use them with a GPS even if not online. No routing though. For China it doesn't work yet with ditu.google.com.

There are also few open source software that allows synchronization of your GPS tracks with Google Maps/Earth and your pics (Exif info).

That's a great summary of options chinabiker, thanks for the detailed input and links.

A couple additional points that may be helpful. This is from a very long e-mail exchange with Vincent Hoe of Garmin China.

#1 Because of China's defence policy, the China map has been encrypted so that only the Garmin devices which are on sale in China marketplace are compatible with the China map (Our map supplier is NAV2, NAV2 is a Shanghai-based joint venture between two mapping leaders, NavInfo and NAVTEQ.), that is also the reason why you can not find any China map infomation on Garmin's official website. Our devices also can be used with other maps you can find on Garmin's website.

#2 Available models and prices as of January 2008
    Garmin Nuvi 610: 6480 RMB
    Garmin Nuvi 310: 4980 RMB
    Garmin Nuvi 300: 4480 RMB
    Garmin Nuvi 200: 2980 RMB
    Garmin Nuvi 200W: 4480 RMB
    Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx: 10500
    (They do have some other models, but most have been discontinued)
    Unfortunately, we do not represent the whole range of Garmin products, you know it depends on Chinese average expenditure, so Zumo is not available.

#3 You can change the device language between English and Chinese

#4 NAV2 maps are in Pinyin and Simplified Chinese, and it is very easy for you to toggle between these two maps.

So.....the only model that's probably worth purchasing is the GPSMAP 60CSx because it's weatherproof and has a good battery. The other models are not really robust enough for motorcycle touring. Main drawback to the 60CSx is the small screen and it's looking a little old compared to other units on the market.

One possible option would be for a group buy from MyChinaMoto. If we could get 5-10 members to agree on a single model, Garmin will import it and install the NAV2 maps. I think the Zumo 450 would probably be the best unit, but the $750 USD price tag is a bit more than most people would want to spend.

I'm currently using the Qstarz BT-Q1000P as a tracker. They cost about 1000 RMB and can store 200,000 track points. You can change the timing of the track points, so it's pretty easy to store a couple weeks of traveling before you need to download. Battery life is fantastic, well over 30 hours between charges, and it's the same model used in many Nokia phones. It also comes with geo-tagging software for your photos.

For navigation, I use a Dell Axim X51v PDA running Windows Mobile with Bluetooth GPS unit and GPSTuner software. This is enclosed in an OtterBox waterproof case.

The benifit to this setup is that I can scan in maps of the region and then calibrate them on the Axim. I can also cache huge parts of google earth on my SD card and view my location without needing an internet connection.

I also carry an Asus eeePC with CDMA/GPRS data access. This will allow me to explore locations realtime on Google Earth when I am on the road.

I would like to build a complete "Motorcycle Computer" using the eeePC motherboard and a weatherproof touchscreen LCD. Anybody want to brainstorm with me on this?

If you would like to see a good example of tracklogs, go to:
    http://maps.google.com or http://ditu.google.com
    In the search bar, enter the following http://www.contactdi.com/random/chinav.kmz

You should be able to see lot's of tracks from various trips I have made around Guangdong. If other people have some good ride areas, please post your tracklogs.

bigdamo: Did you get your Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX here in China?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    ... I would like to build a complete "Motorcycle Computer" using the eeePC motherboard and a weatherproof touchscreen LCD. Anybody want to brainstorm with me on this? ... ChinaV
    I want to go for the fanless VIA pico ITX board and SSD drive(s) in a water and dust proof fanless housing fitted to bike.
    I am still looking for a suitable (rugged, bright) touch panel.

Currently investigating China sources for purchasing those items ... any ideas?

Want to stay with TTQV, a nice piece of GPS software. You can download the complete setup and give it a 25 day free try without limitations on the functions. English manual and helpfile available for download. After downloading and installing the complete setup, you should also install the latest update.

QV reads a lot of different maps (including Garmin imgs) and does an automatic GE import without the need of manual calibration. It works nicely together with Patahway (similar to GPSTuner).
    If you need calibrated scanned maps to test or any other hints, let me know.

Andy

ChinaV I bought my GPS60csx from Ebay USA for $300.00USD.

What about these maps of China They have digital raster topo or georeferenced raster topo maps of china.
    /www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/china2.htm?1653,773#p2
    or i think I saw a program where you can scan maps and convert to put on your computer and down load to my GPS60csx.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    ChinaV I bought my GPS60csx from Ebay USA for $300.00USD.

What about these maps of China They have digital raster topo or georeferenced raster topo maps of china.
    /www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/china2.htm?1653,773#p2
    or i think I saw a program where you can scan maps and convert to put on your computer and down load to my GPS60csx.
    Maps for the GPS60csx must be in Garmin img format. All these maps are vector maps, while scanned maps are raster maps. Unfortunatelt there seems to be no - or at least no affordable - way to convert raster into vector maps.

There is still mapcenter (see above) for free Garmin maps, which are loadable to Garmin GPSrs.

China raster maps for free download

Andy

//moagu.com/
    These they say will convert raster maps to use on your Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    Maps for the GPS60csx must be in Garmin img format. All these maps are vector maps, while scanned maps are raster maps. Unfortunatelt there seems to be no - or at least no affordable - way to convert raster into vector maps.

There is still mapcenter (see above) for free Garmin maps, which are loadable to Garmin GPSrs.

China raster maps for free download

Andy
    Maybe thats why some people like the Delmore GPS?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast