Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    If you have an early iphone,
    ChinaV
    It's the 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    MapABC (a chinese company) ... offset the coordinates. ChinaV
    That seems to the clue. Thanks a lot for the info.

I have a garmin nuvi 200 It's a great little unit that works well for my local area. I usually have no problem finding rural addresses with it so far..

CNFool,

Is the Nuvi200 waterproof? Do you use it on your atv?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    CNFool,

Is the Nuvi200 waterproof? Do you use it on your atv?

CC
    No I only use it on my truck....

I have taken it on my bike a couple of times...But I don't have the bike wired for it

I don't think it's waterproof there are way too many holes in it!!

Thought I'd add my two cent's worth. I've been using a Garmin GPSMap60csx for about two years. IT's worked very well on the bikes and has proved to be sturdy. It flew off the bike at 55mph one day and when I picked it up I expected it to be dead. Just a scratch or three on the case (Luckily not the screen) but working normally ever since. It's a great, very user-configurable unit. Screen is a bit small for my 47 year old eyes, but still usable.

A few weeks ago I bought the new Garmin Nuvi 500. This is the waterproof model that comes pre-loaded with both road and topo maps (USA). I just got the R.A.M. mount for it yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to use it on the bikes yet, but I've been using it in the car and so far I like it very much.

It's got a much larger and brighter screen (Looks just like the other Nuvi models) and it is a touchscreen unit. The only thing I am less than happy with is that the information displays are much less user-configurable than the 60Csx. It doesn't look nearly as ruggend, but it has the same waterproof rating as the 60Csx.

Also, I just got my hands on Garmin's newest City Navigator NT China 2008 and loaded it. << Scratch that, I've got China City Navigator v6, not the new NT 2008. The maps work on the Nuvi 500.

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Black Hawk, CO
    Last edited by DanKearney; 12-10-2008 at 01:58 AM.

6. #26 Re: GPS Buying Tips 
    Hey I'm looking for a cheap GPS with good features :p. I want to be able to store about nine provinces of China worth of maps and be able to track a significant amount of data (will try to set a world record for sh8its and giggles). Someone told me about a good gps for only 400rmb but I cant remember the brand and from looking around I'm coming to terms with the fact that I am going to drop at least 1500rmb.

The GARMIN GPSMAP 60CSx looks like the best cheapest option available on taobao. I'm a bit worried about two things. First it only allows one 64rmb sd card. How big is this really, will I have to how many cards will I need for a three week trip and how much route tracking would this give me?

This product has been discontinued according to the garmin website. Does this mean that I may have software compatability problems?

Also what's wrong with something like this? http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8545185302

Cheers
    Last edited by corporal_clegg; 06-21-2011 at 05:06 AM.

7. #27 Re: GPS Buying Tips 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by corporal_clegg View Post
    Hey I'm looking for a cheap GPS with good features :p. I want to be able to store about nine provinces of China worth of maps and be able to track a significant amount of data (will try to set a world record for sh8its and giggles). Someone told me about a good gps for only 400rmb but I cant remember the brand and from looking around I'm coming to terms with the fact that I am going to drop at least 1500rmb.

The GARMIN GPSMAP 60CSx looks like the best cheapest option available on taobao. I'm a bit worried about two things. First it only allows one 64rmb sd card. How big is this really, will I have to how many cards will I need for a three week trip and how much route tracking would this give me?

This product has been discontinued according to the garmin website. Does this mean that I may have software compatability problems?

Also what's wrong with something like this? http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8545185302

Cheers
    meh... who buys pure gps devices anymore? I've never had one so I'll go ahead and pretend to be an expert.. get a phone instead. something running andriod 2.2 or higher. these can be as cheap as 1500 rmb.. you get your anki fix anywhere plus a spare camera .... and then some more. for good place to buy phones in China try http://www.ch999.com.cn/ anything htc + android >= 2.2 and really you can't go wrong.
    I've had my HTC hero for more than 2 years and still serves me well.

8. #28 Re: GPS Buying Tips 
    indeed. do I have to get a "g" (2,3,.35 whatever) simcard to use gps? why do you say HTC? theres a samsung there that looks cool also http://www.ch999.com.cn/products6438/ a bit cheaper than the HTC

9. #29 Re: GPS Buying Tips 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Why htc? because I have one and we could be htc bro's.. err..

10. #30 Re: GPS Buying Tips 
    C-Moto Guru
    I've got the Garmin Nuvi 1255, works fine for me so far and it's only about RMB 500 including delivery!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast