Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: GPS Buying Tips

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. #41 Re: GPS Buying Tips 
    C-Moto Regular
    If the phone has GPS - then the clear view of the sky is enough - but without a data connection, it won't be able to load maps, give directions, etc., just spit out your lat/lon. There may be applications that give you a bundle of maps that are already stored on the phone, and thus not be reliant on downloading them - but definitely experiment with this before heading out on the road!

2. #42 Re: GPS Buying Tips 
    Oh, I almost forgot I am a native. The Gaode高德 navigation only has Chinese language system. If you are confident with it, read on.

(I don't want to mislead someone or turn the thread to Garmin VS smart phone, the Garmin seems to be safe bet)

They are currently testing new version (软件版本v1.1.8828), licences to one phone cost as little as 58rmb. Downloadable maps, system upgradable OTA. My test has found a deal-breaker bug, there hasn't been an option to total avoid hightway/motoway (hopefully the company can address the issue soon). But what SZ seller install probably was previous stable version(软件v1.6.5012), which CAN avoid highway. I have tested it, you can mark my word.

3. #43 Re: GPS Buying Tips 
    Quote Originally Posted by corporal_clegg View Post
    so the gps is reliant on the phone network? I would've thought it independant. I would not be getting 3g, just using a normal sim and hopefully be able to get gps and wireless in starbucks or at home.
    Depends on which maps/service you use.
    Google Maps for example requires a data connection to load and update maps, which can get pricey.
    Ovi Maps (Nokia) allows you to upload any and all maps to your mobile phone/SD card through a PC with Ovi Suite software installed.

I have uploaded the maps for provinces and countries that I frequent most often (including speedcams and the like) and adjusted the settings on my C6 to stay offline while the navi function is active. You would of course need a data connection if you need live traffic/weather updates, but I'm not sure that traffic updates are available in China yet.

4. #44 Re: GPS Buying Tips 
    C-Moto Guru
    If I enable GPS at my HTC phone the battery will be empty in no time...
    So you will need recharging/power supply possibilities an the bike - doesnt matter if you use a phone with GPS function or a standalone unit.
    ChinaV posted about a simple DIY solution he installed:
    --> http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ing-it-charged

I oped for a plug and play setup I bought in Germnay, more expensive though, but more suitable for my skill- and mindset.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 100, simplest one I found at that time (4 years ago). It came with PinYin Map and update was easy through their Beijing office. It's not weatherproof - I take it of when it rains and just check the occasional crossing if needed. A simple plastic bag will give some protection as well - and who wants to ride in the rain anyhow. I'd try to avoid that

5. #45 Re: GPS Buying Tips 
    I'm a fan of Garmin, as by tweaking a bit via a computer you can also add routes and destinations using Google Earth co-ordinates (old model had also the "input co-ordinates" option, but for some reason it's gone). As I can't write Chinese, that's my indipendence

I've just finished my GPS waterproofing project on a NUVI 1455.
    I found on taobao a waterproof box that was the perfect size, then went on with a mobile phone mount (also from taobao) here is the result. I just need to install it on my bike (coming soon). The battery charger will be placed under the seat, where I've bought a plug and a fuse.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345