Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 When you're riding, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. 
    Was just watching the the Steve McQueen movie "Le Mans". While the movie is about racing, it was an awesome reminder of why we ride.

When you're racing (or riding), it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

Michael Delaney: This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional bloodsport. And it can happen to you. And then it can happen to you again.
    Lisa Belgetti: When people risk their lives, shouldn't it be for something very important?
    Michael Delaney: Well, it better be.
    Lisa Belgetti: But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
    Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

Le Mans (1971)
    106 min, 23 June 1971 (USA)
    Almost in breadth and depth of a documentary, this movie depicts an auto race during the 70s on the world's hardest endurance course: Le Mans in France

Director: Lee H. Katzin
    Writer: Harry Kleiner
    Stars: Steve McQueen, Siegfried Rauch and Elga Andersen

2. #2 Re: When you're riding, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just wait 
    Would like to see this. He was a student of Bruce Lee as well.

This link is to an old magazine article of Bruce describing Steve. Good reading and interesting insight into the man. Steve apparently invested in motorcycle production in Italy as well.

http://www.mcqueenonline.com/bruceleefeature.htm

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: When you're riding, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just wait 
    CC - Thanks for sharing this.
    I wasn't aware of their special friendship. Interesting!

4. #4 Re: When you're riding, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just wait 
    this video moved me, hope you like.
    Sundown 200cc STX motard

5. #5 Re: When you're riding, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just wait 
    Yeah, I liked it too, thanks. I try and find a bit of that every day.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #6 Re: When you're riding, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just wait 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Luis Carlos,

Many thanks for posting. Very powerful short film! It's definitely making the rounds of motorcycle forums around the world, as I've received several notices. It's so good the final image is forgivable. Given that I started riding at 52, it'll come as no surprise that I shed a tear or two (but I'm a sentimental bastard...).

Though this clip is a dramatization, it's based on a true story of a group of oldsters in Taichung, Taiwan, who decided retirement was not quite fulfilling enough and banded together for this circumnavigation of Taiwan. The story of the wife who died too young apparently is true. A few days ago someone posted links to some youku clips about a movie called Go Grandriders. The video quality made those clips almost unwatchable. But I've found another that's much, much better -- a trailer for the Go Grandriders film, which I'm assuming is a feature. Here's the clip in youtube, which, as always for mainland residents, will require a grannybuster (VPN, proxy tunnel, etc).

I'd love to see the full feature!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: When you're riding, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just wait 
    this is another from Euphonius
    Last edited by jape; 02-14-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

8. #8 Re: When you're riding, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just wait 

9. #9 Re: When you're riding, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just wait 
    Steve McQueen aka Harvey Mushman also raced on the American Team in the ISDE in the sixties.The guy sure could ride.I like his saying "If I'm not racing I'm thinking about it" He also could drive.Did all his own stunt driving in the film Bullitt.Best car chase movie in history.

Here's another legend
    On Your Bike
    14/02/2011

Introduced by Wayne Gardiner, former motorcycle world champion

This week's program charts the adventures of an octogenarian motor bike rider who's suddenly become the centre of a social networking phenomenon.

When Doug Sunderland succumbed to the blues after losing his wife and being diagnosed with cancer, his GP told him to 'get back on his bike'.

He did... and it 'saved his life', so much so, that he decided to ride around Australia solo, surviving on tinned food and sleeping by the road.

Then, unexpectedly, the 85 year old was befriended by young bike rider Kris Growcott who started a Facebook page to rally support for the veteran.

Suddenly fans were joining up in their hundreds and, for Doug Sunderland, everything changed in the most delightful way...

http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2011/s3138700.htm

Just shows your never to old to ride.

10. #10 Re: When you're riding, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just wait 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Speaking of wonderful and inspiring videos, this one is timely and beautiful and moving -- something to warm your heart on a cold day when you can't ride.

I'd love to understand the lyrics (help us here, Slabo!) but I doubt anyone will miss the meaning.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast