Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Hi Gang

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Hi Gang 
    Just stopping by to say hi. I will be relocating to Shanghai for a few months this coming fall. Experienced rider looking forward to riding new areas. Put me in for your adventure trips, willing to fly to different citys and rent bikes. I don't know if I will ever be in China again so really looking forward to seeing the sights from the insiders view. Also want to fly out and riding Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia etc..........Oh yeah one question, is there any benefit to bringing over a japanese dualsport, I figure its probably easier to just buy one there. If your looking for riders interested in fun and adventure give me a shout, no worrys I can get you references and background on me.
    Thanks............Lex

There is absolutly no way to import a bike into China. You'll have to buy one when you're here.

Welcome to the site.

Welcome. China is the toughest country to tour on bike. You can't even rent a bike in China. There is no such facilities here unless you arrange a private rental agreement. Your best bet is to buy one here and sell it when you leave.

You can rent XR250s for riding in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos etc.

Well you can bring in a bike but so far the cost and time involved maybe do not
    make it worth it.Check out at the bottom of this page.

www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337853&page=6

The other Chinese Gentlemen are riding late model Japanese bikes.I wonder how they got them into the country maybe Gaunxi.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob Just Charlie's Avatar
    you can get a bike in from what I've read but there's a lot of paperwork and fees involved. you need a carne de passage for the bike which is like its passport. easier to buy one here and sell it when you leave.

Welcome to the site Yard man!

Like everyone else says, it's probably better to arrive then buy. Good bikes can be had now in a decent array of sizes and the engine displacement will continue to go up, although anything past 250cc will be a gamble.

Unless you have special needs, there is a good variety of 200cc bikes available in China and where you are in the market for one, ask some of the good folks here.

No need for references....just riding and pictures!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

7. #7 Thanks for the comeback. 
    Thanks guys.....thats what I figured. No worrys on buying one when I get there, however china is a HUGE place. I'm fine on riding any size bike, I was a bike snob until my buddy "assigned" me to a scooter in Bali complete with automatic transmission.........I was amazed at how well that thing got around and how much fun it was to ride.
    I will probably only have 3-5 day blocks to get away and ride so if I could get out and visit others around the country I could see more with less redundant riding. I go thru bikes constantly but right now I'm on a street plated xr650r my last bike a 300Exc wasn't very good for the long high speed stuff in mexico, I use a 650dr around town and mostly fire roads. I'm not strong in the pictures departmen but I'll try to attach a link to thumpertalk rides of recent. Over there I go by ABTrailers.....cuz I like trailers.
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...32#post6210132
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...90#post6051390

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    ... I will probably only have 3-5 day blocks to get away and ride so if I could get out and visit others around the country I could see more with less redundant riding ...
    You may be right with us up here in BJ. Some opportunities to rent a bike if we know that early enough.

Andy

YardS,

It really doesn't take much more than reliability to have an adventure in China and even unreliable stuff can add to the experience in certain ways.

Seems like there are a few members in Beijing. Maybe on a nice day you all could meet up and make some tracks!

Oh and...take some pictures!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

10. #10 Thanks and a question 
    Sounds great, hope to meet all of you. Just keep my in mind next fall and winter as you plan your rides! BTW one question, at the end of my stint in China will they allow me to shove my chinese bike in my ocean container to take back to the states?? Just curious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast