Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Hi Gang

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Don't worry about you ability to speak/read Chinese. Most Chinese are very friendly and hospitable. As long as you wear a big smile and show your respect. You will find the Chinese will give back more. An American friend of mine who speaks no Chinese, never been in China before had been riding a small Chinese bike for a few months in China and had a great time. All he has is a map and a big smile on his face. He is now planning a come back after the Olympic. I don't speak a word Hebrew and I managed to live in Israel for a year and half

Quote Originally Posted by Franki View Post
    A U grad should know 5000 characters, I know about 2000 but you can get by just knowing 200
    I was told I would need to learn about 500/600 characters to get by

Thats why I'm taking a GPS and map this time.

Reading and writing is harder than just talking and listening is easier again.

Quote Originally Posted by Franki View Post
    Don't worry about you ability to speak/read Chinese. Most Chinese are very friendly and hospitable. As long as you wear a big smile and show your respect. ... I don't speak a word Hebrew and I managed to live in Israel for a year and half
    +1

Most communication is non-verbal. No need to worry about it. Just ride. You may have to stop a little more to match up characters to road signs but that's not an impossible problem to solve.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    I was told I would need to learn about 500/600 characters to get by

Thats why I'm taking a GPS and map this time.

Reading and writing is harder than just talking and listening is easier again.
    There is also an electronic translator that you can buy where you key in your own langauge and out come a voice and written Chinese. I my own experience of travelling in a foreign country each I don't speak the langauge, body langauge can be very useful and entertaining

5. #25 Ahhh yes the language programs....probably better look into those too 
    Where do I get a map program in english, I have an old Magellen and a new Garmin 60csx. Should I buy map program here or there and how much do they cost. I think the street program for thailand was close to $400.00 us and only one GPS could use it (if you lost your gps it was non transferrable), so I went without. It seems the Jialing is considered the best over here, is it approaching japanese standards? I guess they are under $1000.00 US compared to $4000.00 to $5000.00 for a japanese bike.
    I know too many questions.........but this is very foreign to me (get it!).
    Alex

Garmin now offers a map of China but in Chinese for 60csx. I am not sure if they have it in English. Contact Mapsource for details. Mapking's map is too slow and not too accurate. I use a 276C with a private map (not too detailed) mainly as a 'black box' to record the tracks for future use.

I think your best bet is to buy a printed map in both English and Chinese when you are in China. This way you can always ask directions with the map.

I have toured Thailand 8 times and never used a GPS. I use David's map for northern Thailand. Check out www.gt-rider.com

7. #27 Free maps for Garmin 
    Hi

Free China maps for Garmin GPSr units.

http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/map...hp?country=201

http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.php?cnt=47&rgn=

You may need Sendmap to upload the maps to your Garmin as well as the Garmin USB driver.

It's always a good idea to carry paper maps in Chinese to interpret road signs or show it to locals.

Andy

P.S. mapcenter sites sometimes difficult to reach

After watching Carl's (great, BTW) video, "The Return" [available just a click away under Carl's signature for just $24.95 total including shipping and handling], he did explain that someone on motorcycle cannot fill up their own tank at the gas station; rather, you have to park away from the pumps, and someone will come and fill up your tank for you by hand.

Actually, order the video yourself and see the ins and outs yourself.

9. #29 Hats off to Carl! 
    Looks like that Carl is a little bit of an adventurer! Well I gotta say I'm not sure that I'm that motivated, but it sounds really nice to have the time to just take off and go adventuring!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123