Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
  1. #71 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    It's China. To be harmonious everyone MUST love the country, MUST love the party and MUST aspire to be a kind of black car limo driving executive business-class golf playing lawyer type, or if you are not must pretend to be. White shirt check, belt hoisted to navel check, slip on shoes check, side parted hair check black Audi A6 check.

It's up to the Chinese motorcyclists and motorcycle industry to lobby the government, especially local government.

2. #72 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    It's China. To be harmonious everyone MUST love the country, MUST love the party and MUST aspire to be a kind of black car limo driving executive business-class golf playing lawyer type, or if you are not must pretend to be. White shirt check, belt hoisted to navel check, slip on shoes check, side parted hair check black Audi A6 check.

It's up to the Chinese motorcyclists and motorcycle industry to lobby the government, especially local government.
    Hi Buddy
    According to your recent posts about "swimming pools", "Chinese computers" and other opinions you've posted in the TIC as well as in other threads, I think your time has come .....
    Andy

Motorcycles, said it 100 times 250cc and above same plates as a car or another color, same fines, same insurance, however same rights such as using a regular road, freeways etc. Motorcycles 250cc and below stay on yellow plates as now..
    This sounds very reasonable. I hate the fact I can't drive my new, modern motorcycle on all roads in the country, even though I am licensed and insured. Instead of being safe and comfortable on a modern highway, we have to battle it out on the potholed remnants of Chinese farm roads. That's unsafe for everyone involved, really.

The problem seems to me to be driving habits and education. I commute to work about 7km a day through the center of shanghai on a bicycle (fixed gear, even...) and I learned in about 5 minutes what sort of vehicles to avoid like the plague. Unfortunately, even that apparently blind woman with her flannel jacket on backwards, 4 year old sitting on the boards, chatting on her fake iPhone and holding a 20 kwai umbrella as she blithely floats through a busy intersection against the red at speed has to get somewhere.

Some people say that is the Chinese "driving style", but its not. its just a simple lack of experience and education. Shut down the ability for people to forge or buy driving licenses without taking the test and require them for everything that has a motor, period. Offer compulsory, but free driving schools that focus on defensive driving - not the points system. Most of all, enforce the law with real officers and real, on the spot punitive measures, not automated systems and avoidable fines.

4. #74 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    Quote Originally Posted by themicah View Post

Some people say that is the Chinese "driving style", but its not. its just a simple lack of experience and education. .
    Exactly right. How many people do you think die a year in China because a driver confuses the brake pedal with the gas pedal? 100? 1000? 10,000? more? That's surely a sign that there's something seriously wrong. Saying it's 'driving style' is just face saving self delusion.

Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker
    According to your recent posts about "swimming pools", "Chinese computers" and other opinions you've posted in the TIC as well as in other threads, I think your time has come .....
    Meh, just venting. And yes I have nearly had enough of China, on some days.....

5. #75 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    C-Moto Regular
    How many people do you think die a year in China because a driver confuses the brake pedal with the gas pedal?
    http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/790410.shtml
    Instagram: #mychinamoto

Jialing JH150GY-3
    QingQi QM70ZK
    Lida LD30-3 - SOLD!

6. #76 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    Quote Originally Posted by thedannywahl View Post
    That story is very tragic, very concerning and not very surprising.

The tragedy is that it's just what you'd expect to happen when people treat cars like another toy. Cars are no joke. A ton of steel and seriously powerful engines. They require training and responsible, considered approach to ownership. It sounds lame, but in my high school drivers ed course, they called it a privilege, not a right. My culture had the privilege of understanding them that way, and that is, IMO, what Chinese consumers ought to be aspiring to, not some bullshit fantasy of dodging black helicopters and Ken Block nonsense. Poor little girl, but damn, her parents both deserve a Darwin Award. In Egypt they laugh at the Saudis who plow off the Nuweiba ferry in their armored SUVs. They say they fell off camels into a Mercedes. Sad but true. There's more to owning a car than the commercials let on.

8. #78 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    Quote Originally Posted by themicah View Post
    The tragedy is that it's just what you'd expect to happen when people treat cars like another toy.
    Come on, don't exaggerate...

9. #79 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

10. #80 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Maybe I am not up to speed with the new "web journalism" but after reading this I do not know if this actually happened, or if this was some kind of street art, or perhaps street art modeled on an actual accident. The pictures look genuine, particularly the final image that seems to show that one bike jumped the curb and ploughed into a standard. If these are real pictures of a real accident, this site Sinopathic has gone far, far beyond mere shamelessness and should rebrand themselves SinoPathetic. Or just shut down and go reflect on their own startling lack of humanity.

I'd welcome a story that just tells what happened.

euphonius
    Last edited by euphonius; 07-24-2013 at 08:33 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast