Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    I am in Yangzhou, Jiangsu, one of the smaller richer cities.
    I was told older bikes have plates allowing them in the city CBD....
    But if I buy a new bike, I MUST be a resident, (or know someone with an address,) in the West of the city.
    And can only really ride around that western district, no city center, no freeway action either.

Its a shame, here the Ebikes swarm like locusts, they do not have to be registered, and seem to have the run of the roads.
    I have been told if one hits me while driving a car, I will have a hard time getting any justice.
    Although I have seen a crowd encircle a woman on an E bike who hit a taxi, refused to pay the 200 yuan demanded!
    And the crowd did not let her escape, telling her it had all been caught on traffic camera, and she must pay.
    It is so frustratingly obvious it is the ludacrous numbers of rogue E bikes that cause the traffic chaos here. Really jerks my chain!
    But I have learnt a lesson today, TIC, this is China! I just have to harden up ;)

2. #22 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    I'm moving to Shenzhen next month and I'm sad to have to leave Squeazel here in Xi'an under the care of Felix whilst I figure out just WTF i'm gonna do..

oh woe is me..

DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)

3. #23 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekkicore View Post
    I'm moving to Shenzhen next month and I'm sad to have to leave Squeazel here in Xi'an under the care of Felix whilst I figure out just WTF i'm gonna do..

oh woe is me..

Say what???? Aren't we still awaiting your first (daytime) ride report????

Did your license ever come through????
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #24 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    Banned
    Authorities plan to run souped-up mopeds off road

Shanghai Daily Newspaper / March 3, 2012

SOUPED-UP scooters and mopeds are being targeted by Shanghai traffic authorities.

Traffic police and industry officials confiscated more than 10 illegally customized electric mopeds in recent raids in Putuo District and suspended sales in 16 unlicensed shops.

Officials say the increasing number of souped-up scooters is hampering efforts to reduce accidents.

Souped-up scooters and mopeds are heavier and more powerful, making them more dangerous, said officials.

The death toll in city accidents involving mopeds and scooters has remained high in recent years.

Last year, 237 people were killed in accidents involving mopeds, out of a total of 944 road traffic accident fatalities.

Shanghai Vice Mayor Zhang Xuebing said yesterday that "it's relatively hard to eliminate illegal electric mopeds and reckless riding in a short time."

But Zhang said the city must "act quickly and correctly," or the situation will get worse.

The city is currently waging a three-month-long campaign against illegally customized mopeds and scooters.

There are more than 2.7 million registered electric mopeds in Shanghai, with another 158,000 added each year.

However, many more mopeds and scooters - 3 million, according to some estimates - are on the roads without licenses or with ones issued elsewhere, said Guo Jianrong, secretary general of the Shanghai Bicycle Industry Association.

In the recent raids in Putuo, police found mopeds customized to exceed the legal limit of 15 kilometers per hour.

Fines will be imposed on stores found to be selling these vehicles, said officials.

Some souped up scooters with increased battery capacity can achieve speeds of up to 70 kph, according to insiders.

Guo admitted that current regulations, issued more than 10 years ago, are out-of-date.

"Riders nowadays do not have the same attitude toward regulations as people did previously," added Guo.

YOUNG foreigners on skateboards and souped-up scooters are creating road safety hazards and annoying other residents, according to police.

Police say they have received complaints about skateboarders and riders zooming around residential complexes and roads.

While no serious accidents have been reported involving this group, officers are now going to international schools to teach road safety.

"It's important to establish such communication," said Cai Xin, director with Changning District immigration police office. "They'll learn basic traffic knowledge in China, which will obviously benefit them."

Cai said a lack of knowledge of China's traffic laws sometimes led to misunderstandings.

Officers already visit complexes to advise skateboarders, and university campuses, following complaints about noisy customized mopeds.

Yesterday, police visited a foreign school in Changning District, home to one of Shanghai's biggest foreign communities.

Staff welcomed the initiative. "In the United States," said Faustina Martinez, principal of the Livingston American School, "police and fire departments go to schools to do this."

5. #25 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    Pheew, it's so lucky that it is all the fault of the foreign kids, that way they can be so easily targeted as the cause of the problem, and three million of them causing havoc! Really the clever Chinese police can teach the awful foreigners how to drive properly! 'No foreign kid, you must shout louder into your phone and smoke more cigarettes on the way to extorting money at the traffic lights'.

While no serious accidents have been reported involving this group, officers are now going to international schools to teach road safety, such as how to reverse into a busy road properly, and the Chinese 'maneuver, maneuver, signal, mirror' driving system, and how to put intestines in a plastic box in case of accident injury.

Cai said a lack of knowledge of China's traffic laws sometimes led to misunderstandings. "Sometimes foreigners think that they should give way and look when turning right" Cai said.
    Did I read that between the lines?
    Last edited by ZMC888; 03-03-2012 at 11:53 AM.

6. #26 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Pheew, it's so lucky that it is all the fault of the foreign kids, that way they can be so easily targeted as the cause of the problem, and three million of them causing havoc! Really the clever Chinese police can teach the awful foreigners how to drive properly! 'No foreign kid, you must shout louder into your phone and smoke more cigarettes on the way to extorting money at the traffic lights'.
    My thoughts exactly, ZMC. All the times I've visited Jiaoji Lu in Shanghai and seen all the tricked out, souped up scooters (all petrol or lpg, by the way, not electric), I never once noticed their young foreign owners anywhere near them. They must have been hiding somewhere, and allowing local Chinese kids to watch their dangerous sooperscoots for them. Come to think of it, all I ever saw were Chinese kids on or near these rolling disasters. Never once a foreigner. Need to see my eye doctor, I guess.

These scooters are indeed extraordinarily dangerous, as they are very powerful, place all the emphasis on acceleration and speed and noise and none on stopping power or mirrors or good tires, etc, and almost never have legal plates or any plates at all. It's strange, I see (and hear) these bikes every time I enter traffic in Shanghai, but I guess they are invisible to law enforcement. Maybe if they had plates the police would realize they are dangerous.

Sheesh.
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #27 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    Banned
    G'Day,

The suburbs near the international schools (Minhang, Hongqiao, Qingpu) have a lot of teenagers and adults on scooters, the noisy - non plated- annoying scooters mention in the SD story above.
    Go to the Starbucks / Subway / Burrito Shack near the American School (Puxi Campus) and you know what I am on about, just up the road near the CitySupermarket outlet you find some scooter "tuning" shops that caters 99.9% to the laowei kids & parents......

No, I am not a teacher, just a lot of logistics and warehouse companies are located near the American school (Puxi)......

8. #28 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    G'Day,

The suburbs near the international schools (Minhang, Hongqiao, Qingpu) have a lot of teenagers and adults on scooters, the noisy - non plated- annoying scooters mention in the SD story above.
    Go to the Starbucks / Subway / Burrito Shack near the American School (Puxi Campus) and you know what I am on about, just up the road near the CitySupermarket outlet you find some scooter "tuning" shops that caters 99.9% to the laowei kids & parents......

No, I am not a teacher, just a lot of logistics and warehouse companies are located near the American school (Puxi)......
    OK, I stand corrected. But I'd say this phenomenon you describe is highly localized there in Hongqiao, and is but a tiny subset of the far bigger problem of scofflaw scooters.

thanks for the insight.
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #29 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    officers are now going to international schools to teach road safety, such as how to reverse into a busy road properly, and the Chinese 'maneuver, maneuver, signal, mirror' driving system, and how to put intestines in a plastic box in case of accident injury.
    WTF?? Someone please explain this to me

Cai said a lack of knowledge of China's traffic laws sometimes led to misunderstandings. "Sometimes foreigners think that they should give way and look when turning right" Cai said.
    And when shouldn't I be looking when I turn?

10. #30 Re: Why did they ban Motorcycles 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo
    officers are now going to international schools to teach road safety, such as how to reverse into a busy road properly, and the Chinese 'maneuver, maneuver, signal, mirror' driving system, and how to put intestines in a plastic box in case of accident injury. WTF?? Someone please explain this to me

And when shouldn't I be looking when I turn?
    Sorry dude, I was satirizing the article!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast