Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Greets China Riders! 
    Hi all, nice to be here....

Just wanted to introduce myself because I see there is a wealth of personalities, backgrounds and knowledge in regards to riding in China on this site that I'm ready to explore ...and the Middle Kingdom via two wheels.

My name is Christine from the US (but grew up part time in Asia, mom is Chinese, dad is American and I speak Mandarin); have been riding over twelve years and my present bike is a Honda CBR600rr. Currently, I am living in Singapore for two months but have plans with another lady, Szu-Ting (http://www.littlepo.com) to ride across mainland China. So far, our route is South to Northwest...but more on that later as there is much-needed info we need before we can even hit the ignition switch.

We are in the process of converting our Hong Kong drivers/motorcycle licenses into ones for mainland China. Location-wise, it will most likely be easiest to do this somewhere in the southeast near Hong Kong - Shenzhen probably. I spoke to someone today in China (a service that makes the process go more smoothly...like a tour guide through China's DMV) and he told me that after obtaining a China driver's license, the applicant has to wait one year before applying for a China motorcycle license. Is this true? It made my heart drop.

Hopefully someone has information on how I can put my heart back in my chest.

If some of you all have experience in switching over licenses, we would be grateful to know what exactly is needed.

ALSO, any leads on sturdy bikes in the southern parts of China, ones that will be our reliable steeds as we undertake this month-long journey would be wonderful; something capable of rugged terrain, rain, fast enough to escape the police, etc (kidding ;).....as I am not sure what to expect with the road just yet.

Bike photos below. Szu-Ting has some to come...she is just learning to ride but picks everything up very quickly!

Thanks kindly and more questions from us to follow I'm sure. :)

Ride safe,
    Christine

Riding around Oregon and back to Nevada

My present bike. Very happy with Honda.

Old bike, Honda CBR600 F4i

Favorite terrain...mountains and desert

2. #2 Re: Greets China Riders! 
    http://www.td.gov.hk/en/publications...ex_id_161.html
    If had HK d/l & ID card, just follow this guide & DiY http://www.uwants.com/viewthread.php?tid=7450501
    If don't had HK ID card, u need "other" ways...s

3. #3 Re: Greets China Riders! 
    Welcome Christine, stand back and take a deep breath as a load of blokes here will jump in and offer you all sorts of assistance. You will need a towel to wipe up the drool but that is just the way they are, nice, friendly, dribbling sort of fellas. HumanBeing has posted a good way to get the d/l sorted if my google translation worked (lots of fruit involved). You speak Mandarin so the original will make sense ot you I guess.
    to get an idea of what is current for different purposes, please have a look at ChinaV's threads:
    (start at post #88 or thereabouts for the newest machine) http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post20232
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...V-s-Galaxy-250!
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...-%28YG250-6%29

and pfaelzer's famous thread on the JH600 is well worth an hour or two -
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...light=pfaelzer
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

4. #4 Re: Greets China Riders! 
    Hi Christine, I think I saw you over on ADVRider before? Welcome to My China Moto

I sent you a PM with some questions.

The rest of the members should be along shortly, they tend to get awfully excited when females make a post here.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #5 Re: Greets China Riders! 
    "Favorite terrain...mountains and desert "

Should like Xinjiang then. Big Mountains, Big Deserts.

6. #6 Re: Greets China Riders! 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Welcome Christine, stand back and take a deep breath as a load of blokes here will jump in and offer you all sorts of assistance.
    Thanks a ton for the responses and the assistance already! I'll definitely have a look at the link....I initially didn't spend too much time on here as I've been making phone calls but now that I'm getting settled in and have been led quickly in the right direction, I'm sure I'll gain plenty of knowledge. Really grateful to get handy tips from all you experienced mainland riders...this site is an awesome resource.

Will have a looksee at the links and get back if there are any questions.
    OH! And the extent of my Mandarin sadly does not include reading....I am shamefully illiterate (basic stuff=OK).

7. #7 Re: Greets China Riders! 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    "Favorite terrain...mountains and desert "

Should like Xinjiang then. Big Mountains, Big Deserts.
    YES. I am very excited because we're actually expecting to ride through to Ürümqi.....just my type of riding. I'm so curious as to the fuel stops and whether there are many along the routes?

8. #8 Re: Greets China Riders! 
    When you get the time, read some of the ride reports that head that way and in to the sticks in other areas. There is a wealth of information and you can PM the posters for details. From the reports, every village has someone or other selling fuel from bottles if there isn't any gas station. I guess they all have to get about somehow so there would be a fair system set-up however informal. When i come over for my trips later in the year, i shall head off with very little planning. I look forward to the many surprises I shall get!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

9. #9 Re: Greets China Riders! 
    Quote Originally Posted by MeowZeDong View Post
    YES. I am very excited because we're actually expecting to ride through to Ürümqi.....just my type of riding. I'm so curious as to the fuel stops and whether there are many along the routes?
    In my experience there are plenty of petrol stations except for the desert.I think the only good thing about Urumqi is the road out.Good mountains and deserts around Hami.

10. #10 Re: Greets China Riders! 
    Thanks a lot jape and bigdamo. I'll certainly read up on this and keep these points in mind!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast