Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 140 of 634 FirstFirst ... 90120130138139140141142150160190290 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 6336
  1. #1391 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    1 ah b
    Quote Originally Posted by GUN ROD View Post
    Finally got the seat I ordered and now installed. Stock seat was angled to the left. Found it was the welded front bracket was off. No bending was going to correct without possibly cracking frame. The new seat was designed for a Harley. Using the stock seat frame, I fabricated a 6"x13" 16 gauge plate with a rear break at 90 degrees (for strength) Attached stock bolts thru bottom, then two bolts up into the new seat. Allowed a straight installation. Allows a natural angle sitting or at rest. Rides great.Attachment 5782Attachment 5783

Did you paint some of your engine parts?

2. #1392 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    Yes,
    Light sand (chemical on head fins) 600
    Prime high heat spray
    Flat or gloss spray top coat
    Does wear at contact points, I.E. heat shield bolt heads muffler pipe.
    4 hours work.
    Was worried about head but no issues, 250 miles.

3. #1393 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    1 ah b
    Yes,
    Light sand (chemical on head fins) 600
    Prime high heat spray
    Flat or gloss spray top coat
    Does wear at contact points, I.E. heat shield bolt heads muffler pipe.
    4 hours work.
    Was worried about head but no issues, 250 miles.

Any plans to black out the spokes? I've heard they rust. My plan is to buy one in January. I love the all blacked out look or maybe an eclectic look for the bike. Make it look like it was just thrown together from parts lying around. Not sure yet but whatever I do it will be easier because of the information on this forum. Thanks.

4. #1394 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    Regarding spokes, due to the tubeless wheel design, powder coating process requires too much heat for the seals. Painting would wear. Rusting has been brought up by others but I have not noticed. If you keep your bike sheltered, wipe dry after being in rain and keep your dog from pissing on them, you should avoid rust. I wanted the dull black out look but realized that some small bits of chrome was a balanced look.

It must be tough waiting til January, will you have shipped or go thru a Dealer? Regarding modifications, take your time with each. The best are rear sprocket 35 (my 33 is extreme, I wish I did 35), battery improvement, jetting above 85, magnetic oil plug & handlebar/seat adjustment for your heigth and weight. Note most of us have an issue with neutral coming up to light. Holding the clutch in during the wait is a bitch. Hopefully it will break in to allow in the future. Fuel tank weld problems vary (causes fuel leaks), to be cautious don't torque down the bolts, use red lock tight.
    Read the full post and you will be ready.

5. #1395 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    1 ah b
    Regarding spokes, due to the tubeless wheel design, powder coating process requires too much heat for the seals. Painting would wear. Rusting has been brought up by others but I have not noticed. If you keep your bike sheltered, wipe dry after being in rain and keep your dog from pissing on them, you should avoid rust. I wanted the dull black out look but realized that some small bits of chrome was a balanced look.

It must be tough waiting til January, will you have shipped or go thru a Dealer? Regarding modifications, take your time with each. The best are rear sprocket 35 (my 33 is extreme, I wish I did 35), battery improvement, jetting above 85, magnetic oil plug & handlebar/seat adjustment for your heigth and weight. Note most of us have an issue with neutral coming up to light. Holding the clutch in during the wait is a bitch. Hopefully it will break in to allow in the future. Fuel tank weld problems vary (causes fuel leaks), to be cautious don't torque down the bolts, use red lock tight.
    Read the full post and you will be ready.
    Yes Gun Rod, waiting till January is hard. ExpressATVs.com has them listed for $1895 plus shipping. I'll probably have it shipped to where I work so I can unload on the dock with a forklift. I'm a big guy, 280, so I'm on the fence about changing the rear sprocket. I basically want this bike to run around town on. I have a Suzuki gsx1100g that I regularly ride, so any long distance rides will probably be on the big boy bike. As long as I can get 55 out of it, I'll just have to feel it out. I must have a bright headlight so I plan on working on the Battery/Headlight, I've heard the stock light isn't very bright. I've heard that some of these bikes come with a 105 main jet? Hopefully I'll luck out on the tank. I contemplated selling some of my guns to buy this bike, but decided against it, I'll just have to wait.

6. #1396 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Caution is advised with the RED locktite :

Apply heat to the bolt's head with a propane torch. If the area is next to a flammable storage, such as a gas tank, you still might be able to use a heat gun. The red and green strength Loctite generally will need some type of heat applied, above 400 degrees Fahrenheit, in order to melt the cured sealant. A wrench or impact can be used immediately while the bolt is still hot.
    2011 Yamaha Star 250
    2010 DF 250 Bobber (sold)
    2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
    1993 Kawasaki Vulcan88(sold)

7. #1397 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    I bought some metric nylon lock nuts for my gas tank. Then I cut some small fuel line for spacers/isolators and DID NOT tighten the nuts beyond the locking part. So far so good.

In my over fifty years of fooling with bikes of all kind, I have never used lock tight. Just saying.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

8. #1398 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    Do you have a original 45 Henry rifle or an English or Smith/Fox 16ga double barrel shotgun?
    It will do 55, 75% power original sprocket no problem. Never ridden at night. I had no high or low beam when delivered. I saw the park light & was satisfied during break in safety checks. After a Harley guy yelled over at a light that I had an headlight issue, I checked & no lights at all! Barnone helped find that my wiring was not complete & got light control with the right handlebar switch. Haven't checked my jet yet, it runs at 80+ with the 33, probably has a 100+ jet. Spark is slightly amber in color, happy. High speed not worth the sprocket adjustment it makes at low speeds. Weak at start up, requires more RPM to get going. Clutch will suffer before long.
    Barnone & Sr Mailman, probably right about red lock tight near fuel tank, but it breaks free for me. Note Dong uses on brake fixtures.

9. #1399 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardo View Post
    Found this online

Its not plated so not sure where this was shot

Gardo
    Great find, the burn out is one of many short videos that show the build out of a crated delivery.
    Thanks

10. #1400 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    I must admit, great thread! Good information! I almost "pulled the trigger" last month on this when it was $2000. Now I see the price has jumped, bummer. I know a bunch more than I did last month, thanks to you guys. Like some of you, I'm not sure who to buy from. I guess they are all the same since they all come from the same warehouse, Scooterdepot?? It seems from reading all 140 pages last night and this morning that Scooterdepot has gotten there shit together as far as the paperwork end. That was my biggest concern. Any of you Texas boys had any problems doing the paperwork? Man, this going to be the first bike in 35 years for me... Can't wait.