Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 622 of 634 FirstFirst ... 472572602612620621622623624632 ... LastLast
Results 6,211 to 6,220 of 6336
  1. #6211 Re: what this bike should have been from the start 
    Quote Originally Posted by MidMoMan View Post
    I noticed Zongshen manufactures and overhead cam version of the 250 engine. Did your Yamaha 250 install relatively easily? I'm just thinking down the road and looking for a learning experience more than anything.
    These engines, while OEM'd specifically by Zongshen for Dongfang, are pretty much the same as numerous other Zongshen and other brands' thumpers as found on chinariders.net under the dual-sport and off-road sections. Many members have had good experiences with the engines as long as you don't try to modify them internally. For performance, you are limited to exhaust and carb, and gearing. However, there aren't too many Dongfang bikes on chinariders, so you are really going with advice in general, vs. specific, like you are here; nevertheless, I would read up on the dual-sports to see what people do with various brands' engines (i.e. RPS Hawk and Magician, and Bashan's Brozz, Shark, and Enforcer).

2. #6212 Re: what this bike should have been from the start 
    I noticed Zongshen manufactures and overhead cam version of the 250 engine. Did your Yamaha 250 install relatively easily? I'm just thinking down the road and looking for a learning experience more than anything.
    if I regularly swapped engines I could tell you if it was comparatively an easy job or not but I don't so can't. with the right tools I wouldn't consider it a difficult job. but I'm not completed yet as other things came up I had to put this away
    there are ohc engines that may or may not drop in easier, I couldn't get my hands on one cheap to know.
    Last edited by axa; 12-09-2017 at 10:26 PM.

3. #6213 Re: what this bike should have been from the start 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    It appears the ZS350 ZS183FMP is only 30mm wider and 20mm taller that the ZS250 167fmm.

350.jpg250.jpg

4. #6214 Re: what this bike should have been from the start 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    It appears the ZS350 ZS183FMP is only 30mm wider and 20mm taller that the ZS250 167fmm.

350.jpg250.jpg
    Hopefully, I will post some photos of my DF250RTA soon. My front disc arm flew off the frame on the fourth ride. No real damage, but I broke the brake line. Needless to say, I went through and checked all the bolts.

5. #6215 Re: what this bike should have been from the start 
    Hopefully, I will post some photos of my DF250RTA soon. My front disc arm flew off the frame on the fourth ride. No real damage, but I broke the brake line. Needless to say, I went through and checked all the bolts.
    had the same happen to me, didn't brake the line though.

so I have to ask you, where are you expecting to acquire, and how much are you expecting to pay for this engine?

then have you explored the serviceability, I mean obtaining parts for this new, likely expensive investment.

I'm curious.

6. #6216 Re: what this bike should have been from the start 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    These engines are usually available on Ebay, Alliexpress, or Alibaba etc... I believe the 350 is $1100 on ebay & is used in many ATVs. It can probably be purchased for less if going through Alibaba.

Shineray and Zongshen also manufacture 170 or 177MM? 250cc 4 valve race engines that I think are stated near 25hp at $1100. Just thoughts at this time.

I've also wondered an old Honda cb360 might be a good fit.

7. #6217 Re: what this bike should have been from the start 
    These engines are usually available on Ebay, Alliexpress, or Alibaba etc... I believe the 350 is $1100 on ebay & is used in many ATVs. It can probably be purchased for less if going through Alibaba.

Shineray and Zongshen also manufacture 170 or 177MM? 250cc 4 valve race engines that I think are stated near 25hp at $1100. Just thoughts at this time.

I've also wondered an old Honda cb360 might be a good fit.
    ok. though i think many would say the same thing about the 167fmm.
    which is also available on ebay, but at an exacerbated price. Its likely the same case for these engines you're listing.
    And considering alibaba, your going to have to do some serious digging to find a distributor that will send you just one engine, and then at a reasonable price. And then cross your fingers that it has the proper epa paperwork to get through customs. i haven't gone through it but dig around and you'll find others that found it needed.

Then when it gets down to it and you finally need a part, its hit or miss...
    For example try finding something as simple as push rod for the 167fmm... i finally found one but it took a looooong time.

Anyway, anythings possible, just matters how much you want to give up or how hard you want to try...

8. #6218 Re: what this bike should have been from the start 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    20171120_114959.jpg20171120_115221.jpg20171120_115241.jpg

Some photos of my 2016 DF250RTA. I want to thank you fellas that have done all the hard work figuring out what is the best for our bikes. Here are my mods:

-Removed evap & new air filter
    -Drilled cat
    -NGK Plug
    -38 tooth rear sprocket (so much better!)
    -110 main jet in my Denki Carb. This made a huge difference for performance. It had an 88! (I used "6 sigma jets" for a kit but could not get it to start with the 42 slow provided). Had a washer under the needle but it seemed to cause a rough idle.

Plans are to get a larger seat and maybe deck the head in the spring. This is a great running bike!

9. #6219 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    s-l300.jpgs-l301.jpg

The seats I am considering...

10. #6220 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    I like the seat on the left. That is initially what the bike came with, but a real cheap version. I changed mine out only due to stress wear and breakage after 20,000 miles. So now the seat I have is similar to the shape of yours shown on the right. I wish I had the old seat back.Way more comfortable on your rear ,especially on bumpy roads.The narrow seat seems to only support a certain aspect of your behind. Both are nice.