Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 383 of 634 FirstFirst ... 233333363373381382383384385393403433533 ... LastLast
Results 3,821 to 3,830 of 6336
  1. #3821 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by 4950cycle View Post
    Oh, And I agree with your financial future aspect of the Bobber axa . Not that I agree with the super inflated value of- but these aren't Orange County Choppers. These are just cool Chinese knockoffs of early-mid 20th century motorcycle Americana. But "Oh so Cool" IMHO You can't buy this much M/C Coolness anywhere else for the price. And I'll go with painted/powder coated rims. The Chrome thing has been beat to death since the 50s of the last century for gods sake. I do still like chrome for accents though. Did I over use the word Cool maybe ?
    Heres something else people dont consider, someone off the street may say, "cool bike" id pay $$$ for it, but those are the people who know nothing about bikes and have no interest in buying one...
    Ask that same person again after they've actually decided to buy a bike, and you will find they have been researching, been on this site, and know they can have a brand new one for less than one is asking... I just don't get it.
    Any expectation of appreciation in value of a china made anything makes no sense to me.

2. #3822 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Got the longer bolt and now have about an inch clearance after adding the spacer and straightening the fender support rods. Good for now but when the chain wears and needs adjusting probably will have to do something else to gain more space such as chopping the fender and moving the tail light forward a bit. This is a temporary fix until we come up something better.

I did adjust the chain to give it a little slack.

IMG_2033.JPG

Then I drained the oil, added a magnetic drain plug, and filled her with one liter of Shell Rotella 10w40 oil.

IMG_2034.jpg

Then I removed the air injection system, crimped the end of the injection pipe and turned it upside down. I couldn't find any aluminum stock to make a plate.

Relocated the ignition switch to where the injection pump was mounted. I need to remove the tank and get a little more slack in the wiring to the switch to finish mounting it but it is good for now. I'll be removing the tank before long to do the blue/white wire switch since I read here that that is still a problem.

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

Next I need to check the valves. Almost ready to fire her up.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #3823 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    Got the longer bolt and now have about an inch clearance after adding the spacer and straightening the fender support rods. Good for now but when the chain wears and needs adjusting probably will have to do something else to gain more space such as chopping the fender and moving the tail light forward a bit. This is a temporary fix until we come up something better.

I did adjust the chain to give it a little slack.

IMG_2033.JPG

Then I drained the oil, added a magnetic drain plug, and filled her with one liter of Shell Rotella 10w40 oil.

IMG_2034.jpg

Then I removed the air injection system, crimped the end of the injection pipe and turned it upside down. I couldn't find any aluminum stock to make a plate.

Relocated the ignition switch to where the injection pump was mounted. I need to remove the tank and get a little more slack in the wiring to the switch to finish mounting it but it is good for now. I'll be removing the tank before long to do the blue/white wire switch since I read here that that is still a problem.

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

Next I need to check the valves. Almost ready to fire her up.
    "And on the second day the creator relocated his ignition switch..."
    So why might you prefer on moving the switch?
    I had noticed also noticed that those pump tabs seemed the same spacing as the switch, but couldn't justify moving it. seems it will make taking the head off a bit harder for valve adjustments.
    Do tell...

4. #3824 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Just think it looks a little better down lower and tucked in. I will elongate the holes in the switch to be able to use both bolts and turn the switch over when I gain a little more slack in the cable when I have the tank off soon. Does not interfere with the valve adjustment or at least it didn't on my 2010 DF. Can always go back where it was, no big deal.

Off to adjust the valves and fire her up.

Off topic a bit but I bought one of those ethanol gas tester and just used it the first time to test some none ethanol gas I bought for her. 0% ethanol in the fuel, next I will test some up to 10% to see how much it has in it. Just fooling around...
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

5. #3825 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Anyway, please show me that im wrong and point out some real improvements............
    Last edited by freezerboy; 06-26-2013 at 09:34 PM.

6. #3826 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Checked the valves on my 2012 and they were a little tight. The tank hold 2 gallons if anyone was wondering. I installed the battery and she fired right up. Then I took her for a ride down the driveway and out on the road and she ran just fine. I forgot how low the stock gearing is so I have a 35 tooth on order. Took the curves and ups and downs here in the mountains with plenty of juice.

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

Got her all muddy but that's life in the mountains with the gravel roads.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

7. #3827 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by freezerboy View Post
    Anyway, please show me that im wrong and point out some real improvements............
    Who is dissing on the 2010's? I had a 2010 and now a 2012 so? So sense getting in a pissing match.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

8. #3828 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    First, my question to Barnone about how he did when selling his first bobber was more to see how selling a Chinese builtbike might compare to selling, say, a Japanese made bike. I've bought and sold over 25 motorcycles, all Japanese, Spanish, English, American, or Indian made (Royal Enfield Bullet), but have never owned a Chinese bike yet. I know how the buying/selling game works. I have dissed no one about their early model Dong Fangs. I think they are cool motorcycles. But, there was a problem with the gas tank mounting system they used. Not every bike leaked, but enough did that there was a problem there. Leaking gas tanks are a big problem, and I will bet that Sunny Powersports (I think they are the importer?) made it known that DF had an important problem there, and that's probably why they made the change. One owner had them send him a warranty tank, installed it, and it also leaked. My personal opinion, and I am allowed to have them, is that I found the original tank and handlebars to look a bit out of place on the bike. Others seem to like them fine. I would pay a bit more to have the newer version, and, that's why I am very interested in Barnone's comments as well. He broke the trail on the first model, and is the only one I know of who will have owned both models, so his comments hold a lot of weight. If I buy one I will not be able to look at one in person, as there are no dealers here, so I have to go by other peoples comments, and this forum has so much good information for everyone.

9. #3829 Adding links to 520 chain on 2012 DF? 
    I need to add a 35 tooth rear sprocket or so to my 2012 DF.
    Last edited by barnone; 07-03-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

10. #3830 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    Who is dissing on the 2010's?
    Nobody is dissing anything Vince. Since you have owned both now, maybe you can shed some light on this down the road. The only improvement that i can see though is that its a 2012 and not 2 years older. Sorry you misunderstood the edited post.

To those who did not read the post before it was edited, i simply stated my own opinion on my gas tank and that also i have seen the word "improved" used many times when reading about the 2012 model. Yet when they first came out in January other posters here pointed out the slight differences and none appeared to be any kind of improvement at all. The gas tank & way it mounts on my 2010 has absolutely no issues and all. 99% of the problems that you find in this thread related to the 2010 gas tanks was due to owners over-tightening studs when re-installing.

Try not to take it personally, but i do want to know about these improvements.
    Last edited by freezerboy; 06-27-2013 at 02:57 AM.