Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 384 of 634 FirstFirst ... 234334364374382383384385386394404434534 ... LastLast
Results 3,831 to 3,840 of 6336
  1. #3831 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by birdmove View Post
    But, there was a problem with the gas tank mounting system they used. Not every bike leaked, but enough did that there was a problem there.
    can you provide a link to this info?

2. #3832 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    Well, I just finished reading this entire thread, and I don't plan to reread it again right now. I don't think there is a "thread search" feature here. There were quite a few owners who had their gas tanks just start leaking. They would remove them and there were photos of the mounting brackets with studs attached, and many were quite unevenly spaced. I don't recall anyone saying there were rubber grommets it mounted on, but could be. The more traditional way to mount a motorcycle gas tank is with 2 "ears" welded to the lower front of the tank, and often a third mounting bracket mounted to the back of a tank. Start your way through this thread and the tank leak will come up pretty quickly. This leak is very much a safety item, as a biker isn't made to become a flaming torch while riding down the road. I hope that yours will be one of the older type tanks that does not leak. I think Barnone can settle the issue of whether the newer tanks have a better mounting system or not by looking at his new bobber. Maybe some of you that had your 2010 model tanks can toss in youe 2 cents here, as I am not an owner, but I know what I read, and seeing the photos I saw here I am not surprised they leaked. BY the way, the shearing of rear sprocket mount bolts is not unique to this bike either. I have seen several references to the same thing happening on the CCW Tha Heist on the Facebook page for that bike. But, for some reason, I have not read this of Tha Missfit.
    Quote Originally Posted by freezerboy View Post
    can you provide a link to this info?

3. #3833 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    I don't recall anyone saying there were rubber grommets it mounted on, but could be. The more traditional way to mount a motorcycle gas tank is with 2 "ears" welded to the lower front of the tank, and often a third mounting bracket mounted to the back of a tank..
    That's exactly how mine is mounted, and has been from the start. Of course it has rubber bushings under the studs.

Also when i asked for a link, i thought you had read factual info from an external site. I didn't really mean opinionated info from here. I think most of us here have all read the entire thread now.

I have read here how the tank mount brackets were welded on at an angle on a couple.

4. #3834 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    Here is what I was reffering to as a traditional tank mount system: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/721-...C-671361463565 2 ears in front welded on and, and a bracket welded on on the rear. The 2010 DF bobber tanks mount photos I've seen here look nothing like this. I am thinking maybe the new model uses a setup more like in this in photo I refer to here?

5. #3835 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Here is what I was reffering to as a traditional tank mount system: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/721-...C-671361463565 2 ears in front welded on and, and a bracket welded on on the rear. The 2010 DF bobber tanks mount photos I've seen here look nothing like this. I am thinking maybe the new model uses a setup more like in this in photo I refer to here?
    Yes the tank has welded ears at 4 points, the 2010 has I believe 2 welded studs.

Done my share of welding, and getting a strong bead a linear ear is much easier and reliable than on a perpendicular stud...

6. #3836 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Cranked in the max preload for the seat spring. Might need some helper springs to keep it from bottoming out for my 210 lbs.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

7. #3837 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by axa View Post
    Yes the tank has welded ears at 4 points, the 2010 has I believe 2 welded studs.

Done my share of welding, and getting a strong bead a linear ear is much easier and reliable than on a perpendicular stud...
    The problem with the 2010 tank, was the bracket the stud was attached to was "stick" welded to the tank. Sheet metal is very hard (temp wise) to weld in a hurry.
    spot welding might have been a better choice. But to save money and production line speed they chose the faster/cheaper method.

Also, rubber flat washers were used between the bracket/stud and frame.

I did the JB weld fix and blue locktite on stud,before even putting any gasoline in the tank. It never leaked.
    2011 Yamaha Star 250
    2010 DF 250 Bobber (sold)
    2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
    1993 Kawasaki Vulcan88(sold)

8. #3838 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Regular
    Yes, I agree with your second opinion on resale value also axa. I'm a little late in posting, This 8 mile long thread moves right along.

9. #3839 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    so has any one bothered to check if their wheels are balanced?

10. #3840 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Regular
    I go by feel at higher speeds. If I have a wheel that's humping or bumping I look into it and balance it . I balanced my front wheel with a little bit of thick lead solder wire wrapped around certain spokes. straightens them right out. A little tedious to do sometimes. An easy free spinning rim helps.
    Last edited by 4950cycle; 06-28-2013 at 02:03 AM.