Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 393 of 634 FirstFirst ... 243343373383391392393394395403413443543 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,930 of 6336
  1. #3921 Re: Bobber 
    Quote Originally Posted by bornmayhem View Post
    Hello ALL. I found this forum on google as I was loooking for information on the dong fang bobbers. i found this one locally http://carbondale.craigslist.org/mcy/3852824558.html

I am very much considering this for a mid to late summer bike. it will be my first and its really the price that is catching my eye.

My major concern is that i know nothing about bike repair, and of course i have that friend that knows alot more that tells me that it will fall apart on me, haha.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    That is a very good price as retail is $1999.99 plus $200 for shipping.

BTW, it is a 2012 model not a 2011.

First though, make sure you can register it in IL by taking the VIN to your DMV office for verification.

I just bought a 2012 like that one and it appears to be a well made bike. I had a 2010 model which was good except for the fuel tank but that has been fixed on the 2012.

It is not Japanese quality but it is fine. Does your friend have any experience with this bike? If not then tell him to STFU.

There are a few things that might need attention on the bike but they are minor that can easily be corrected by you with advice from people on this forum.

This is only a 229cc bike so it is not a freeway flyer.

I'd buy it in a New York minute at that price assuming it can be registered in your state.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

2. #3922 Re: Bobber 
    C-Moto Regular
    Problem ! His name is on the MSO I believe , Right ? He must title it first in his name. Then He can sell it to you and you will have no problem. If you try to title it in your name with an MSO in his name they will tell you "Dream On" Even with a bill of sale. That's how FL. is anyway. They won't let the bobber change hands twice and only tax it once in other words. I believe that is their motivation, not that the motorcycle might not actually be yours legally. You know its all about the buck these days.

3. #3923 Re: Bobber 
    Hello ALL. I found this forum on google as I was loooking for information on the dong fang bobbers. i found this one locally http://carbondale.craigslist.org/mcy/3852824558.html

I am very much considering this for a mid to late summer bike. it will be my first and its really the price that is catching my eye.

My major concern is that i know nothing about bike repair, and of course i have that friend that knows alot more that tells me that it will fall apart on me, haha.

The pic of the MSO on Craigslist is the original MSO that came with the bike, and my Illinois DMV will not accept it at all. My Illlinois DMV insist on a different MSO signed by and from the original seller which in my case was a company located in Joliet IL named saferwhosale. I think you are in for a IL licensing nightmare with just that piece of paper. As stated, they still have some tax to collect on the first sale. I would call and tell them you only have the MSO that shipped with the bike and see what they say to that. (EDIT) I see that he has 2 certificate of origins posted, so you only will need to pay tax on the $1600 along with the Wisconsin MSO you should be good.

4. #3924 Re: Bobber 
    Quote Originally Posted by 4950cycle View Post
    Problem ! His name is on the MSO I believe , Right ? He must title it first in his name. Then He can sell it to you and you will have no problem. If you try to title it in your name with an MSO in his name they will tell you "Dream On" Even with a bill of sale. That's how FL. is anyway. They won't let the bobber change hands twice and only tax it once in other words. I believe that is their motivation, not that the motorcycle might not actually be yours legally. You know its all about the buck these days.
    4950cycle,
    Good catch on the COO. That will probable be a problem and your are probably right that the current owner needs to have the bike titled in his name since the COO has his name on it.

I've had issues like this in the past and they can be a big deal to get straightened out. I would go with the seller to the DMV before any money changed hands and see how they want to handle it.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

5. #3925 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    A few people have started DF 250 threads; I have suggested to post on the 'original' thread simply because that is what brings people to mychinamoto from Google (those with DF). But I see the point of going over 3000 pages being difficult-I am sure there will be double posts, if not triple, or more by now, so if someone new brings up a question that had been discussed a couple years ago, I bet there are others who would also like an answer. Thanks for sticking around, 4950cycle!
    Dear Culcune,

Thanks for making this post, which raises an important question. I too have noticed others launching parallel threads to this one, either because they weren't aware of it or due to its epic size. I agree very strongly that keeping this thread as the main one is best, lest newcomers have to sift through a bunch of threads of variable quality. The problem is search.

The search window that appears on every page of MCM is worse than useless. Taking the trouble to use advanced search is a lot better, but still often comes up short. My searches often involve trying to find something I remember someone posting, but not remembering where or who or even when. (Such are the ravages of age.) I usually have one or two search terms in my head of which I'm certain, and when this happens I find that google often works BETTER than advanced search. I just google for "mychinamoto (search term) (search term)" and usually find what I want first time.

Hence, "mychinamoto DF250RTB gas tank leaking" might score some direct hits and find the needle in a 4000-post haystack.

OK, it might also find the a similar needle in a different thread too.

Funny how databases are replacing human memory. Scary too.

cheers!
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #3926 Re: Bobber 
    C-Moto Senior

That does look like a good price since I paid $2300 for mine which included TTL in TX. I hope to get that much ($1500) out of mine if I upgrade to a bigger bike later. But Im in no hurry to get rid of my DF.

Good part is that the bike your looking at has the newer gas tank. One less headache for you. But honestly I would not sweat it too much. For the money it is a perfect low speed light weight learner bike and even my two years of high school auto shop (30+ years ago LOL) is enough to keep it up I think. It's mostly common sense.

Noticed in his photos that the guage has a temp light on it...what?!? Mine doesnt have that. Not that it needs it though. It's kind of like all those cars with RPM guages and auto transmissions. Most drivers dont even look at the tach.

And FWIW, every bike is going to have issues eventually, doesnt matter if its a BMW or a Harley. You want low maintenenace then I think you might consider a used jap bike. But that's my newb opinion and it's worth what you paid for it. And like anything used, they are selling it for a reason.

7. #3927 Re: Bobber 
    I belong to forums for my Ural and W650 and the issues with searches come up on those too but I guess it is not going to be fixed.

"My searches often involve trying to find something I remember someone posting, but not remembering where or who or even when. (Such are the ravages of age.)"
    I suffer from the above also but sometimes it is easier to just ask the question again. We all need to learn to be patient with our elders. (I'm 71) Remember getting old is hell but it beats the alternative.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

8. #3928 Re: Bobber 
    C-Moto Regular
    I'm only 50 but lived very fast for 20 of those years. So I'm learning early that getting old ain't for Sissies. And yes Barnone, I agree, Are we all Sooo busy that we can't answer a single question a second time ? Some people like to cause tension on these forums too lets not forget. Some people are sicker than others and enjoy contension !
    Last edited by 4950cycle; 07-08-2013 at 02:08 PM.

9. #3929 Re: Bobber 
    I found the type of seat I want to replace my damaged worn out one, which is the original seat on the 2010 model.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/160765194427...84.m1423.l2649
    My question is before I pull the trigger on getting it, can the bracket in the pick be used, or can I just reuse the old bracket on the existing seat.

So if you changed out your seat, please let me know what you did. any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

10. #3930 Re: Bobber 
    C-Moto Senior
    bOwtIewAgon/ looks useable. the front bolt might not fit original framework. drill a hole. set it on top to see how to make it work first. take yours off and make a bracket to set on the back of framework from bolthole to bolthole, then set the seat on that and drill where those bolts sit best. that will fix the crooked thing at the same time. here is a sample of what i mean

seat bracket - Copy.jpg