Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 243 of 634 FirstFirst ... 93193223233241242243244245253263293393 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,430 of 6336
  1. #2421 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mrepooh View Post
    Question for everyone, does anyone have any experience with Honda XR650L? From viewing pics they seem like the 650 motor could fit into our frames with some modifications. The motor is also aircooled, dry sump, same size drive chain. I tried looking for exact dimensional specs, but I'm not finding any. What does anyone else think?
    i agree with ghost, if you're wanting something bigger and more powerful, just buy something bigger and more powerful. i wish i could've kept my DF just for kicks, but i needed the trade in $$$ and i realy didn't have enough room in the garage for 2 bikes, but ever since trading it in and getting the Shadow 1100 Sabre, i couldn't even think about going back to a 250. but i do miss the DF and the attention it got cause everybody knows what a Shadow is and no one knew what the DF was, and the look on people's faces was priceless when you tell them it's Chinese. plus i don't think the DF frame can handle a bigger motor, but to each his own, if you were to put a bigger motor that frame i'd sure like to hear how that turns out.

2. #2422 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by alleykat View Post
    Please tell us about the tach. Which one did you go with and how was the install. Pic's and link please.
    "Tiny Tach". Install was about 15 minutes. I used double sticky back tape to mount it. Right under the headlight. It reads out the hours when the bike is not running. In the second picture you can see the one lead that is wrapped around the frame because it was so long and you cannot cut it. It splits off at the end into a red wire and a white wire which is the ground. I just wrapped the red wire around the spark plug wire 4 or 5 times and cut off the excess and wrapped electrical tape over it. I'll probabably mount the tach more permanently now that I see it works ok.

Pros: Works great, easy install.
    Cons: 5 year non replaceable battery.

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

In the third pic. you can see the reflection of my camera. Photographer I am not.

Here's the Url: http://www.norwall.com/products/Tiny...c3304_a_7cTT2A
    Last edited by ghost1133; 08-26-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Something I've been wanting to do. Thanks for sharing!
    2010 Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Owner

4. #2424 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    so with the tach installed, i wonder whats the "real" redline on this thing.

5. #2425 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by evokid8 View Post
    so with the tach installed, i wonder whats the "real" redline on this thing.
    IIRC,the Honda version red lined at 8500rpm,So probably close to that.

6. #2426 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    Instead of borrowing a meter, finally bought my own.

New r/r shows 14.43 with everything on at all rpm.!(14.25 promised)

I need to clear the air.

First my original r/r was severly shaped to allow new tank, & with it under the tank did I comprimise the heat release?

Second, installing the new r/r, I found the green/red/black snap connection melted at the green connection.

Therefore, don't feel compelled to do what I needed to do. I may have caused the issue.

Anouther point, consider the new r/r by passes our system, therefore no ability to operate without the battery,i.e. push start or upgrade to a kick start.

I feel relieved to have corrected my problem, but appreciate it may have been my own fault.

Regarding, engine size, on the trip with the Harley guys. Down to the last guy all encourage me to get a bigger displacement bike. Because except for one didn't know my experience, I explained 'been there done that'.

I'm not discouraging you folks to evolve into bigger bikes but you have now a perfect machine to deliver the enjoyment, efficenticy, manuvilbly (forgive spelling) & appeal for pleasure riding (not commuting or long road trips).
    Last edited by GUN ROD; 08-27-2012 at 01:00 AM.

7. #2427 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Certified Shade Tree Tech mrepooh's Avatar
    Thanks for the input Ghost, I took a look at a XR650L earlier today, I can easily get it to fit but I thought to myself 'is it worth the effort?". For me to get it 'legal' in Nevada I'd have to get the frame certified by a builder to ensure it's safe, the state would then assign a new VIN number to the frame to register it as a custom, basically it would no longer be a DF250RTB. I suppose if I ever go that route I post some pics lol.

By the way, I was a 'airframer' in the navy, some modifications to the airframe actually technical directives and standard practices, then I worked as a Iron worker before the economy here tanked... Anyways, I enjoy building. I honestly don't see this bike staying the way it is forever, if my plasma cutter, MIG, TIG, and Arc welder has anything to say about it HAHAHA!!!
    Last edited by mrepooh; 08-27-2012 at 05:15 AM.
    Dong Fang 250 RTB

'When you have a lot of money you can't just go around spending it... You need a plan' - Patrick Star

8. #2428 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by mrepooh View Post
    Anyways, I enjoy building. I honestly don't see this bike staying the way it is forever, if my plasma cutter, MIG, TIG, and Arc welder has anything to say about it HAHAHA!!!
    Wow, this is going to get interesting. Fun too. Can't wait to see some of the mods you have in mind.
    Last edited by ghost1133; 08-27-2012 at 12:12 PM.

9. #2429 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Why not just get a used bigger bike and bob/hard tail it. Welders can do "magic"...

Blue Collar Bobbers Home
    2011 Yamaha Star 250
    2010 DF 250 Bobber (sold)
    2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
    1993 Kawasaki Vulcan88(sold)

10. #2430 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Guru
    aye the only reason I have looked into a engine swap was because I didnt know of the reliability/quality , a bit more top end HPower wouldnt be bad either

so far I have no plans for a transplant as it does everything I expected and a bit more , but if it goes kaput then I will look into a 250 rebel although a cbr250r motor would be nice , both I believe about direct fits