Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 93 of 634 FirstFirst ... 4373839192939495103113143243 ... LastLast
  1. #921 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Babyswiss View Post
    Has anyone tried removing the pinstriping on the gas tank and fenders? Did it come off easy or leave a bunch of residue?
    I ripped mine of the day I got it. There was no sticker residue, they came off very easy.

2. #922 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Regular
    I just peeled mine off. No heat, just untrimmed finger nails.

/Mike

3. #923 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Did anyone put bar end mirrors on their DF yet and have any pictures? My left mirror fell off the arm on the way to work so now need a new set.

4. #924 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 

Sourced off Ebay for7/8" handlebars. Requires cutting the end off throttle tube on the right side to install.

A different style on my Qlink, Advantage of this type is the bar end weight to reduce vibration. I going to change to this style on my DF when I get around to it.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

5. #925 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi guys! I've been reading this thread for a while and amazed by how much really useful info you've been sharing here. Thanks to all of you and Barnone specifically. I am ready to pull the trigger on this bike. Checked with the state, and it's all kosher here. Still have one question though - few of you mentioned installing a bigger motor on this frame, so have any of you found anything yet? Which motors might fit? How strong is the frame? Will it be able to take 500cc top or more? Thanks again for great info!

6. #926 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by pakema View Post
    Hi guys! I've been reading this thread for a while and amazed by how much really useful info you've been sharing here. Thanks to all of you and Barnone specifically. I am ready to pull the trigger on this bike. Checked with the state, and it's all kosher here. Still have one question though - few of you mentioned installing a bigger motor on this frame, so have any of you found anything yet? Which motors might fit? How strong is the frame? Will it be able to take 500cc top or more? Thanks again for great info!
    My thoughts were on a Suzuki GS500E/F engine.I sent the engine measurements to a guy on another forum a few years back.The GS500 engine is a little to tall,so it would require the backbone(upper frame tube) to be modified.Other than that,I believe just moving things around on the frame will help.

7. #927 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by pakema View Post
    pakema,
    Welcome to the DF thread.

No one that I know of has come up with a larger displacement engine that will fit without frame modification.

I'd say that if you can't live with the existing power then you should be looking at a different bike. There are some gains to be had with different jets but not a lot.

This is a $2200 bike that is a great deal at that price but not a great bike if you dump another $1000 or more to get it to fit your expectations. Just my .02 worth.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

8. #928 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Bummer, my battery in the DF gave up today. Lasted all of five months. Off to WalMart for a replacement.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

9. #929 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I'd say that if you can't live with the existing power then you should be looking at a different bike. There are some gains to be had with different jets but not a lot.
    I can live with 250cc for the first season no problem. But I am pretty sure that soon I'll be looking for more. It's just hard to believe that nobody came up with anything bigger for this frame yet. Oh well, more research then!

This is a $2200 bike that is a great deal at that price but not a great bike if you dump another $1000 or more to get it to fit your expectations.
    Exactly! I've been looking for a cheap bobber for quite a while. Basically, for under $5K we have this bike, Hardknock, Heist and Johnny Pag's Barhog - all with < or = to 300cc. But Barhog's price is already in the used HD Sportster's range for a good condition 2004-2006 bike, 883cc and very bobberable indeed. So, pumping more money in these bikes doesn't make much sense to me. At least for now. Again - more research and thinking, I guess :)

10. #930 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob The Other One's Avatar
    If you are not going to be happy with the 250cc, get a used Japanese bike and bob it yourself. I have a 4 cylinder 650cc (bored out) yamaha maxim that I found bobbed and I love it. I drove some 250cc bikes during the driver safety course, and they could not compare. You can get a good used bike for half the price of these. Search craigslist, ebay and cycle trader.com. I love the look of the DF, but I enjoy having the extra power. I still get about 50mpg. You can see an example here:
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=32420.html

I feel if you get the DF or buy a used one, you are going to have to be able to do some work on it (or find a good mechanic).