Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 246 of 634 FirstFirst ... 96196226236244245246247248256266296396 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 6336
  1. #2451 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    I had the original cable snap on me ..but it was a bit short, cause I changed out my handle bars to mini ape hangers. I then bought a cable (53 inches) to replace it. A few months later it broke, and I thought it had to do with the clutch handle as there was a groove in it and possible cutting the cable.Well sat,I went out and the cable I just replaced snapped on me again...wel almost..it was literaly hanging on at the barrel nipple by one thread..I happen to be a bit careful and check it ever so often.. and seeing that..I got kinda frustrated.It seems that these cable I have been buying are just inferior products.Sooo.. I claled around and found out the best cables to get are from a place called Barnett. well in a fix, I got another cable from the same guy I bought the last two from off ebay.. should be here in a couple days.. but I am going to order a stainless steel cable from barnett.I will be calling them this week to have them make me a custom cable. If you changed your bars, finding the corect length cable is not too hard.. but just time consuming(at least for me thus far).If your still riding with the drag bars the bike came with..I suggest buying a cable now before it is too late..at least have it around..this cheap material usued on these cables only lasts so long.. and better to replace it now than be stranded on the road side.

2. #2452 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Noob
    Allycat, I haven't had a chance to pull my cable off yet since I was too busy doing other things over Labor Day. I'll probably pull it off this afternoon and the link you sent me looks like the same cable. Thanks for the link and I'll let you know about it.

3. #2453 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by alleykat View Post
    Bow, these look like ours. Still need to size them.http://www.ebay.com/itm/GY6-CHINESE-...11%26rk%3D4%26From the ad..."Measures 3" Long. About 1 5/8" Eye To Eye For The Two Holes."All that I found for the Blaster look alot different..
    very cool.. I will measure mine this week. thanks. hopefully these are correct and this guy has alot of them.. cause I know that everyone on here will need brake pads.

4. #2454 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by alleykat View Post
    Sorry, my combat boots are 40 years old, lol.
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post38534
    Ok, so we are both "GOBBS"

"grouchy old biker bastards"

At least we kept our sence of humor.

Now you are starting to get me worried. I have never wore out any brake pads on any bike.. What bothers me the most is just how thin the brake disks are on these bikes. Anyone else notice that?

5. #2455 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost1133 View Post
    Ok, so we are both "GOBBS""grouchy old biker bastards"At least we kept our sence of humor.Now you are starting to get me worried. I have never wore out any brake pads on any bike.. What bothers me the most is just how thin the brake disks are on these bikes. Anyone else notice that?
    I have noticed.. and have been watching them,.,they do not seem to heat up that much while stopping.. especially since I down shift..so i do not fear any warping of the disk. But the pads seem to wear rather easy.I have 5800 plus on them, and I feel the difference in the thickness of them in the lever as i brake. the rear is also the same wear..so i am gonna tear it down and look at them and make sure they are the same pads.. then measure, and compare to the link of what alleycat showed.

6. #2456 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by 85highwall View Post
    Yesterday I was enjoying the post-Hurricane Isaac weather in Mississippi on my bobber and my clutch cable broke as I was pulling out of a parking lot. Does anybody have any experience finding a replacement for the cable? So much for enjoying the Labor Day holiday with the wind in my face!

After searching on the internet and locally for a proper length clutch cable, I finally had to order the cable from Scooter Depot at a cost of $50.00! At least I'll be back on the road next week. I've investigated further about the possibility of making my own cables and I came across this company that sells DIY kits.
    http://www.venhillusa.com/Universal-...-Kit-p696.html

Does anybody have any experience with this company? Since the replacement is from China, I figure it will break within a year again and I wanted to have another backup.

7. #2457 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    I have seen this before, and yes it looks to be a great idea for the cost.I myself am not going to try something like this..as I am going to have one made out of stainless steel ..as my problems seem to come from the cable beaking where it meets the barrel nipple.I need a tougher grade of steel for this application.I think that the galvanized steel may be a bit stronger than the chinese made lines, but I am not taking any more chances. If you do decide to go through with making your own.. please keep us posted on how well it lasts. My last cable only lasted me about 2 months before it started to break at the end.Inferior cable for sure. I also wonder if my clutch mechanism(controlling arm assembly on the parts list,#5 on the drawing of the section F-4 CRANKCASE COVER) http://www.scooterdepot.us/parts_htm..._list.html#f26 at the transmission is too stiff.How stiff should it be? It is realy hard to push forward by hand.. should it be that way?

8. #2458 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiewagon View Post
    I have seen this before, and yes it looks to be a great idea for the cost.I myself am not going to try something like this..as I am going to have one made out of stainless steel ..as my problems seem to come from the cable beaking where it meets the barrel nipple.I need a tougher grade of steel for this application.I think that the galvanized steel may be a bit stronger than the chinese made lines, but I am not taking any more chances. If you do decide to go through with making your own.. please keep us posted on how well it lasts. My last cable only lasted me about 2 months before it started to break at the end.Inferior cable for sure. I also wonder if my clutch mechanism(controlling arm assembly on the parts list,#5 on the drawing of the section F-4 CRANKCASE COVER) http://www.scooterdepot.us/parts_htm..._list.html#f26 at the transmission is too stiff.How stiff should it be? It is realy hard to push forward by hand.. should it be that way?
    I have been really wondering, hillbilly bikers don't think. They just wonder about your problem with clutch cables ever since you started posting them. I mean i have had a few break over the years but nothing like you have. I hoped maybe you had the problem solved when you found the groves in your clutch handle.

How stiff should it be? It is realy hard to push forward by hand.. should it be that way
    So I went out and hand pressed mine at the lower end before the cable, and yes, it is very stiff. Also the cable looks brand new at fifteen hundred miles, so eliminate that. I would look at the alighnment from were the cable goes into the hand clutch. Does it always breaK at the clutch lever end? It needs to be straight through. All cables, incuding the carburater cables need to be straight through and unbinding. To me, going to a super strengh stainless steel cable is putting a band-aid on your problem.

I wouldn't post this except it happened to me and left me stranded one too many times. My clutch was adjusted too tight. All this is internal. Before you even adjust the cable. After that I've never had another cable break. This was my problem, I was adjusting the external cable adjustments before I had made sure the clutch was set up right. Set up the clutch from the lower end first. Just something to think about because you are going thru too many cables my friend
    Last edited by ghost1133; 09-08-2012 at 12:42 AM.

9. #2459 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by 85highwall View Post
    After searching on the internet and locally for a proper length clutch cable, I finally had to order the cable from Scooter Depot at a cost of $50.00! At least I'll be back on the road next week. I've investigated further about the possibility of making my own cables and I came across this company that sells DIY kits.
    http://www.venhillusa.com/Universal-...-Kit-p696.html

Does anybody have any experience with this company? Since the replacement is from China, I figure it will break within a year again and I wanted to have another backup.
    If I am not mistaking,the Honda CM185 cable is a direct replacement.

10. #2460 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    clutch cable snapped on me too, ez fix. didnt even need to buy a new one, fixed mine and its even stronger than before. i used this guide.

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166