Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 214 of 634 FirstFirst ... 64164194204212213214215216224234264364 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,140 of 6336
  1. #2131 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Noob
    im tryimg to decide on a sprocket size to go with. im thinking 37 might be the one. im about 190lbs and would like to be able to get up any hills i may come across at 50-55mph. my usual trip to work is mostly 30-40 thru town but there is a strip of 2 miles thats 55 with 2 long hills. most people drive 60-65 thru there and i would like to keep up the pace. what sizes have others went with and how do they work for you?

2. #2132 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by branden84 View Post
    im tryimg to decide on a sprocket size to go with. im thinking 37 might be the one. im about 190lbs and would like to be able to get up any hills i may come across at 50-55mph. my usual trip to work is mostly 30-40 thru town but there is a strip of 2 miles thats 55 with 2 long hills. most people drive 60-65 thru there and i would like to keep up the pace. what sizes have others went with and how do they work for you?
    Due to Illinois flat roads, I went with a 35. Sorry that I did, when I do run into hills, no guts. Fast on the flat & nice rumble in town.

3. #2133 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    I went with a 37. I have 8% grades that I have to go up on every ride. They are long, winding hills, and with my 37 I can hoover around 70 mph.
    DF 250 RTB

4. #2134 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    I went with the 38 tooth sprocket, from instinct I guess. Worked out great. I did this with going from a 45 tooth sprocket, (stock). I could go smaller or larger. $29.00 a shot. But the 38 did the trick for me. I weigh about 190. From the take off, I would be hesitant to go smaller. But then the sprocket is so easy to change out, I might try a smaller one. Just for fun. That is when I get the leaking gas tank thing corrected.
    So now I am going to light up a fire.
    I have been on two wheels for 30 years plus. This is a good bike. But really, does anyone on here think that speeds exceeding 60 mph. is a good idea with only a 250cc.

"I don thin so Lusy" Don't get me wrong. I love this bike.

But with speed you need power. This bike does not have enough torque to get you out of trouble over 60 mph. If that.
    What do I mean by that?
    That's why they come with a 45 tooth sprocket. Once you exceed the torque your bike is capable of, well put it this way. It would be like free wheeling a mountain bike down pike's peak. No matter what speed you are going, if you cannot kick it in the butt. You are going down. That said.
    I might try the 35 tooth.
    Last edited by ghost1133; 06-11-2012 at 11:39 PM.

5. #2135 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    I agree with you, Ghost. I don't like full throttle just to keep up with traffic. I like having a safety net and being able to get out of the way. The road I travel is fortunately two lane each direction, and the hills slow down all traffic. I won't take mine on the freeway, and I don't like to push it all the time. I'm about 140, so I have a little less to carry around. I might try a new jet to see how much it'll improve things, but if I had to travel 65+ consistently for a great distance, I'd get a bigger bike. I heard that 400 cc engines might be coming out. Of course I won't hold my breath, but I would probably snag one up if it was offered.
    DF 250 RTB

6. #2136 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Guru
    im happy to run on freeways in it , but in the slow lane generally , while watching rear views (dern texans think its a race to get everywhere and think its a game to speed as much as possible below ticket levels -ie- 9 over the limit here u cant be ticketed even on an 80 or 85 mph roadway

that said I have hit 80 (indicated) on mine on level ground , with what seems to be a bit more motor left in it (worn tire shake slowed me to more reasonable speeds) , but do lose speed slowly on hills but never fall below 65 even in top gear , and man it sounds great at 65 (indicated)

36 tooth rear sprocket but front fits a 17 tooth , thanks to using a 428 DID chain instead of the 520 chain the bobber comes with (effectivly running a 33 tooth rear sprocket) but I only weigh 165

although still a bit lean on the freeway because of the air ram

joining the "darkside" tomorrow , although may need to remove and or modify fendor/mounting of fendor to accomidate the car tire , and DynaBeading it http://dynabeads.net/ to permanantly internally balance it

I am perfectly happy with its limitations and nursing what I can from her , if I want more I'll find an old 2000-12 CBR250R motor and bolt it in , that 6 speed and claimed 30ish hp (about 3 times the HP of our bikes) in a single cylinder thatll fit the frame looks interesting

7. #2137 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Noob
    it would be nice to know what engines use the same bolt pattern for mounting. to know what options there are for swapping. dirt bikes all use single cylinder engines. i think ill go with the aluminum 38 tooth. anyway to save weight transfers to a better power/weight ratio. i might replace the rims with aluminum as well, after hearing how quick they rust. i was quoted 104$ for the first year of insurance (on a permit). i will be signing up for the msf class soon. next available in my area is scheduled for the end of july. i am planning on ordering the bike a week before the class ends. to try and time everything right i will have the bike, lower insurance rate, and license all at the same time. the hardest part is waiting!!

that u-turn intake sounds like a great idea. what size tubing did you use? and do you think there is a less restrictive alternate filter to use?

i'm also thinking that removing the muffler and welding a slightly smaller diameter straight pipe slightly longer would change the power band a little. the diameter and length would create the backpressure needed for low rpm torgue and the straight thru design would let it breathe for high rpm hp? any one else agree/ disagree?? my logic may be wrong but i wont be expiramenting until next year or so. (unless theres some nice days in winter)
    im not sure thats the route i want to take yet. i know its going to be louder. maybe just swap the muffler for a thrush glass-pack.

*ny state does not require emissions test for inspection.

8. #2138 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Guru
    I believe the motor is a small honda bolt pattern , dont recall size of hose on u bend into airstream (carry u filter into store for sizing) , and the motor is a pushrod motor no matter what u do the "powerband" will be right near 1/2 to 3/4 throttle past that your "screaming the motor" for little to no benifit (probably actually producing less HP near max RPM's than at 3/4 throttle) , thats why I geared mine so @ 62 thru 72 or so Im in the powerband instead of 55-65 being my entier powerband

manual states max HP (12) is produced at 6500 , pointless running the bike over that , ever :p

9. #2139 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Noob
    good to know. thanks Dan

10. #2140 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by rollenrock View Post
    I heard that 400 cc engines might be coming out. Of course I won't hold my breath, but I would probably snag one up if it was offered.
    Hey.
    Rollenrock, as soon as you hear about this 400 cc engine. Shoot me a line.

P.S. I'm holding my breath "gasp"
    Don't get me wrong, I like this bike. But willing to explore new possibilities.