Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 94 of 634 FirstFirst ... 4474849293949596104114144244 ... LastLast
  1. #931 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    pakema,
    The engine is 229ccs not 250cc like a lot of the sellers including CCW with the Heist advertise.

other one,
    I agree that if you can't live with 229cc power then you need to look for used Japanese bike or a Harley Sportster.

However I disagree with your statement ("I feel if you get the DF or buy a used one, you are going to have to be able to do some work on it (or find a good mechanic))". after having owned a DF for six months. The DF is no different than any other bike. The only required work that I think you need to do is increase the size of the main jet to correct the EPA lean which is common to every current carb bike. I also decreased the size of the rear sprocket to lower cruise RPM which is a mod I have done to all my chain drive bike.

Don't confuse user mods with "have to do" mods. I don't think the DF requires any more maintenance or modifications than the other five bikes I have or the 50 plus bikes I have owned in the past.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

2. #932 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob The Other One's Avatar
    Barnone,
    I was just following your earlier advice that I should not buy this bike unless I was experienced working on bikes. It seems that your oppinion has changed since you have owned this bike for a while. (I am not trying to argue. I know sometimes it sounds like that on a forum). I am glad this bike is holding up so well.

I will stand by that with a used bike, it is good to have a little mechanical skill. Little things go wrong and I suppose this could happen with a new bike too. There have been plenty of little minor things I have done to my bike in the short time I have owned it that I can't even remember because they were so minor. But, if I did not have some mechanical skills, I would have not been able to ride for days instead of the few minutes it has taken for these minor repairs.

3. #933 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by The Other One View Post
    Barnone,
    I was just following your earlier advice that I should not buy this bike unless I was experienced working on bikes. It seems that your oppinion has changed since you have owned this bike for a while. (I am not trying to argue. I know sometimes it sounds like that on a forum). I am glad this bike is holding up so well.

I will stand by that with a used bike, it is good to have a little mechanical skill. Little things go wrong and I suppose this could happen with a new bike too. There have been plenty of little minor things I have done to my bike in the short time I have owned it that I can't even remember because they were so minor. But, if I did not have some mechanical skills, I would have not been able to ride for days instead of the few minutes it has taken for these minor repairs.
    I think Barnone is referring to the lack of dealer support for china bikes.Most MC dealerships will not touch a china bike and few others know enough about them to be able to properly repair one.Therefore,it is left up to the owner to be able to complete repairs and do maintenance to a china bike.

4. #934 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    To: The Other One

Considered that. Not exactly my style. Nice pics though!

5. #935 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    To Barnone:
    The engine is 229ccs not 250cc like a lot of the sellers including CCW with the Heist advertise.
    I know. Like I said, I've done a lot of research on those bikes.

I think I gonna get DF and see what I can do to it to satisfy myslef. Love the lines, can't resist. In one of my prevoius lives I used to be a mechanical engineer. I tinker with things a lot. I've built an ultralight airplane and a boat from scratch, rebuilt a few cars. Let's see what I can do with a bike. Taking a vacation this coming Thursday for a couple weeks, and then will start with DF. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
    Last edited by pakema; 07-18-2011 at 06:20 AM.

6. #936 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    pakema,
    With your background you won't have any problem wrenching on the DF.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

7. #937 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by The Other One View Post
    Barnone,
    I was just following your earlier advice that I should not buy this bike unless I was experienced working on bikes. It seems that your oppinion has changed since you have owned this bike for a while.
    Other,
    You need to be able to do simple wrenching on a Chinese bike like the DF since it comes in a crate and not assembled from a dealer. Therefore you need the ability to install handlebars, controls, prepare and install the battery,etc. I said in the past that someone without some experience doing tasks like I mentioned should not buy the bike without either an experienced acquaintance or a willing independent shop. I still stand by that statement.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

8. #938 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    I have had a few PMs about the rear sprocket. The info is buried in this thread but I am repeating it here. I think that we have decided that the 35 tooth is the way to go.

JT Rear Sprocket JTR279.35T 35 Tooth

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Motorcycl...?search=JTR279
    Be sure and look at the existing sprocket on the DF so you put the new sprocket with the right side out.

There will be less less cussing if you have these
    http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch...set-97406.html

You will need this tool to remove some links in the chain.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...ker-66488.html
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

9. #939 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Barnone you have been a bucket ofinformation.I cannot wait to order my bike..i am just about there with the cash..and should be placing my order very soon. I am going to follow the advise given here as it has been a a workshop of knowledge. Thanks also to everyone else who has been putting in their ideas and tricks. very much apprecieated.

10. #940 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    bowtiewagon,
    Thanks. Just go slowly on the mods and you willbe fine.

There is another Houston guy on here that you ought to get together with. He has ordered his DF and is awaiting delivery.

I grew up in Houston on Memorial Drive just west of Shepard Drive but moved to Fort Myers,Florida in 1974.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG