Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 135 of 634 FirstFirst ... 85115125133134135136137145155185285 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 6336
  1. #1341 Re: CG250 Performance 
    Quote Originally Posted by GUN ROD View Post
    Barnone Did you make it safely to Fort Meyers?
    Yep, long ride and loaded down like an Arkansas Traveler but got here safe and sound. The W650 was in the truck bed along with a lot of other stuff and the DF was on a receiver hitch carrier.

Lots of mowing the pastures and general cleanup needed but going for a ride with http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...scooterriders/ this morning. Weather is just about perfect.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

2. #1342 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi, all.

Just finished my MSF course (which was awesome, btw), and am looking for a first bike. I want something that doesn't have a lot of power (since I'm a total newbie) and has easily accessible mechanical parts since I love to do maintenance and tinker with things. I used to own a classic car and spent many an afternoon bent over the hood modifying it.

Anyway - add to the list that I need something very (and I mean VERY) inexpensive,* and the DF250RTB starts to look like a great choice. Problem is - I'm 6'4" and so bike fit is pretty tricky for me. The little Suzuki GZ250's at the MSF were cramped and uncomfortable, so I need to actually sit on one of these to see if I should order one for myself.

Sooooooo, anyone in the Houston area that would be ok with me coming over and sitting down on your DF bobber? I don't need a test drive (and I'm a new enough rider that you shouldn't give me one even if I asked), I just need to find out if it's comfortable enough for my long legs and arms. If so, send me a PM. I won't waste a bunch of your time - just sit, talk for 5, wave goodbye.

Thanks again to everyone who shared their experience with this bike.

* I checked out Craigslist for bikes in this same general price range, and even if I'm unlucky and have to fix 3-4 things out of the crate for the bobber (fuel tank and some other general problems people have had), chances are I'm looking at fixing 3-4 things for sure if I bought a used Japanese bike at the same cost.

3. #1343 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Welcome to the forum, Morphon. I really enjoyed my MSF course out in California two years ago.

I was just on the west coast and was astonished by the range of second-hand bikes that are on sale in Craigslist at great prices. Probably most of these bikes being jettisoned are toys that were bought in fatter times, but, more sadly, I'm sure there are plenty of folks who are selling non-essentials out of their garages just to pay the rent and grocery bills. This in turn is putting tremendous pressure on motorcycle dealers, many of whom are folding. That said, it's a great time to buy a used bike -- a buyer's market.

My suggestion for a newb rider is a "standard" or "dual sport" style bike, where your riding posture is pretty much bolt upright -- neither prone (leaning forward) as on a sport bike nor recumbent/supine (leaning back) as on a cruiser -- and you are naturally up high so as to afford the best all-round vision for yourself over traffic as well as visibility (others seeing you) and the best ability to get off in a getoff.

Nothing against the bobber/cruiser style of motorcycle, but I think you would be far less visible given that your head is probably below the roof level of most cars around you.

Anyway, just a bit of food for thought from a fellow newb.

Keep us posted about what you get! And remember the best advice of all: Even after you settle on the style or model you want, don't buy the first bike you see; check out a bunch. There will be plenty of deals out there.

cheers!
    Last edited by euphonius; 11-10-2011 at 01:52 PM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #1344 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Morphon,
    Welcome to MCM.

You might want to PM bowtiewagon for a trial fit on a DF. There is also another DF owner in the Houston area (Champions?).

You did not mention your requirements for a motorcycle other than low price. How do you plan to use the bike? I grew up in Houston so am aware of riding on the freeways in town.
    How much do you weigh? These sub 250cc bikes are wanting in power.

I bought my DF because I had never owned a hard tail bike in my over 50 years of motorcycle ownership and wanted to try one out. It's a fun bike to tinker with and ride but I would not want to spend a lot of time on it over a true 55 MPH. Houston is full of pot holed streets so you might want some rear suspension.

A larger used Japanese bike (500 ccs or more) bought at a reasonable price might be a better choice depending on your intended use. I'm sure it would be easier to get your money out of it over a Chinese bike.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

5. #1345 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Well it happened... I got to work today,smelled gas,and sure enough the tank is leaking. kinda lost at the moment out of fret. Not sure what to do. I know I have to get it home, and I have to ride it cause i cannot afford to have it towed...then I guess I have to drain it and pull the tank to see where it is leaking from. Gonna call Scooter depot today when they open to get a replacement...but isit worth it.. cause seems like the replacement has a 50/50 shot of leaking as well. wanna get another tank honestly.. but where to look. Checked ebay and they have bunch of them...but nothing in my price range..and not sure if they will fir. anyone else have this problem with the tank.. let me know. I need to know what will fit this bike as an alternate. thanks.

6. #1346 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    my bet is the tank is leaking by the bolts that are tack welded to the bottom. thats where my 4 leaks were. you should be able to make just about any tank fit it. good luck, as far as getting a tank under warrenty it took me over 2 months to get ne.

7. #1347 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Sporty Frisco Mount Chopper Motorcycle Gas Tank -

This might be a good place to start looking...
    2011 Yamaha Star 250
    2010 DF 250 Bobber (sold)
    2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
    1993 Kawasaki Vulcan88(sold)

8. #1348 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiewagon View Post
    Well it happened... I got to work today,smelled gas,and sure enough the tank is leaking. kinda lost at the moment out of fret. Not sure what to do. I know I have to get it home, and I have to ride it cause i cannot afford to have it towed...then I guess I have to drain it and pull the tank to see where it is leaking from. Gonna call Scooter depot today when they open to get a replacement...but isit worth it.. cause seems like the replacement has a 50/50 shot of leaking as well. wanna get another tank honestly.. but where to look. Checked ebay and they have bunch of them...but nothing in my price range..and not sure if they will fir. anyone else have this problem with the tank.. let me know. I need to know what will fit this bike as an alternate. thanks.
    that sucks man, more than likely, if you go with any other tank you'll have to relocate everything under the tank(wires, rectifier, etc...). if you don't want to do all that then i'd just hope for the best with the new tank from scooter depot, just make sure you don't overtighten the nuts or you'll probably crack another weld. good luck man.

9. #1349 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by SR.MAILMAN View Post
    Sporty Frisco Mount Chopper Motorcycle Gas Tank -

This might be a good place to start looking...
    For about $175 + shipping,you got a new tank,fuel petcock,and fuel cap.That's on the cheap side for a steel 2.5 gallon tank.Good find.I book marker their site.

10. #1350 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Regular
    installed some new handlebars on the DF today, waiting for the grip glue to dry so i'll take a ride tomorrow to test them out. i'll try to post a pic as soon as i figure out what i did with my camera. anyway, these are the bars i put on http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...chAutoComplete