Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 137 of 634 FirstFirst ... 87117127135136137138139147157187287 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 6336
  1. #1361 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by hooliganboy View Post
    ah ha, found my camera, here's the bike with the new bars on it.
    You got her looking good. Like those bars, gets you up high and straight.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

2. #1362 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Noob
    I see scooterdepot has upped their base price by $400.

3. #1363 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    Morphon,
    Welcome to MCM.

You might want to PM bowtiewagon for a trial fit on a DF. There is also another DF owner in the Houston area (Champions?).

You did not mention your requirements for a motorcycle other than low price. How do you plan to use the bike? I grew up in Houston so am aware of riding on the freeways in town.
    How much do you weigh? These sub 250cc bikes are wanting in power.

I bought my DF because I had never owned a hard tail bike in my over 50 years of motorcycle ownership and wanted to try one out. It's a fun bike to tinker with and ride but I would not want to spend a lot of time on it over a true 55 MPH. Houston is full of pot holed streets so you might want some rear suspension.

A larger used Japanese bike (500 ccs or more) bought at a reasonable price might be a better choice depending on your intended use. I'm sure it would be easier to get your money out of it over a Chinese bike.

Hey, bro.

Price is pretty important for me, true. Basically I'm looking for something that will let me LEARN to ride. I know how to do everything now that I've taken the MSF course, but nothing feels automatic. It's like being 16 again and trying to remember to look in my rearview mirror every 15 seconds. So I need something that I can ride and enjoy as a total and complete novice. So, not too powerful. No fragile/expensive fairings. Lightweight while I internalize all the low-speed techniques. And FUN!

I'll be commuting to work on it a few days a week (3 miles, no highway), mostly traveling around town for my personal enjoyment. I have lots of family in Houston and I visit the different coffee shops often (I'm a writer). Perhaps I'll branch out to short/brief trips on the highway once I get familiar with everything.

The main problem I see with the DF250RTB is size (for my height), which is why I want to sit on one. The other problem is the bumpiness of Houston streets combined with a hardtail. :-)

Going for a used Japanese bike is definitely a possibility. I'm a little afraid of that much power as a new rider. Until I get good at it I want as much margin for error as I can get! I'm keeping an eye on Suzuki GS500 or SV650 ads in Craigslist, for example - as well as reasonably priced Vulcans. If the consensus on the DF250RTB is that it makes a great extra bike but not a great first bike, then I'll take the collected wisdom. Good advice is too valuable to ignore.

4. #1364 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphon View Post
    Hey, bro.

Price is pretty important for me, true. Basically I'm looking for something that will let me LEARN to ride. I know how to do everything now that I've taken the MSF course, but nothing feels automatic. It's like being 16 again and trying to remember to look in my rearview mirror every 15 seconds. So I need something that I can ride and enjoy as a total and complete novice. So, not too powerful. No fragile/expensive fairings. Lightweight while I internalize all the low-speed techniques. And FUN!

I'll be commuting to work on it a few days a week (3 miles, no highway), mostly traveling around town for my personal enjoyment. I have lots of family in Houston and I visit the different coffee shops often (I'm a writer). Perhaps I'll branch out to short/brief trips on the highway once I get familiar with everything.

The main problem I see with the DF250RTB is size (for my height), which is why I want to sit on one. The other problem is the bumpiness of Houston streets combined with a hardtail. :-)

Going for a used Japanese bike is definitely a possibility. I'm a little afraid of that much power as a new rider. Until I get good at it I want as much margin for error as I can get! I'm keeping an eye on Suzuki GS500 or SV650 ads in Craigslist, for example - as well as reasonably priced Vulcans. If the consensus on the DF250RTB is that it makes a great extra bike but not a great first bike, then I'll take the collected wisdom. Good advice is too valuable to ignore.
    morphon, the DF is my first bike and i love it, it's super easy to ride and you'll get the hang of the basics in no time. i've only had it a couple months and i've got almost 300 miles on it. you should be able to adjust the seat to fit your height, and you might want to try some new handlebars to sit you up more straight, but it's not a tiny bike. if you do get a bigger bike though, don't be affraid of the power, it's all about clutch control and throttle control, master these and you'll be fine no matter what size bike you ride. i'm kind of feeling like i could use a bigger bike just cause i'd like to take the interstate once in a while, but even if i got one i'd still keep the DF cause it's just so damn fun to ride, not to mention it's a real eye catcher, people love the look of this bike. if you do buy a DF this thread is wealth of info for upgrades, and the people here will help you out in any way possible. good luck in whatever you choose to do man.

5. #1365 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    1 ah b
    This is my first post on this thread. I've read every page (twice), and really learned a lot about this china bike. I will be purchasing one in January for myself and possibly my stepson, if his grades look good. I wanted some recommendations on where to purchase the bike. I noticed the price increase from scooter depot, but I think it might be just some X-mas price gauging. Are there still online websites offering it for 2 grand? I have access to a dock and forklift where I work so I'm not to worried about a lift gate service. Any suggestions?

Jap Bike Larry
    93' Suzuki GSX1100G
    Hippie Kill Team

6. #1366 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahitsahonda View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Jap Bike Larry
    93' Suzuki GSX1100G
    Hippie Kill Team
    What's a hippie kill team? I hope it is not anything serious.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

7. #1367 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    We won't see $1995 again. Intro price, with no dealer structure in US to support. They introduced to us, capable of independent care.
    Dealers are waking up to this design and now the Dealer structure starts with profits to support brick & morter locations. Profits allow future dealers the margins to stock parts, inventory new stock, & train staff to repair.
    I.E. Triumph Motorcycles 1956 breaking into the U.S. market.
    Gentlemen, we have a jewel.

8. #1368 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Noob
    This bike looks all wrong. The steep "rake" angle of the front end just kills the whole bike. Seems like the designers would of caught onto this before production. Really sucks because they could of had a great looking bike. Now no matter what you do to the bike you are still going to have that "messed up look" geometry. It just looks all wrong:

14ifjna.jpg

9. #1369 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    The rack is what makes the motorcycle a successful replica of the early days of riding. The rack duplicates the designs by Indian, Harley, Norton and Triumph from '35 to the mid fifty's. Complete strangers come up to the motorcycle and all expect it to be a restoration. It's a bobber not a chopper. Nimble use & tight turning radius is great on a bobber, just watch a chopper pull up to the gas pump.

10. #1370 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Fury,
    The DF does not have a steep rake on the front forks. I am constantly getting complements on the looks of my DF from motorcyclists and non motorcyclists.

I bought mine at http://www.extremescooters.biz/250cc...r-chopper.aspx and they still have the DF at $2199.99.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG