Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 155 of 634 FirstFirst ... 5105135145153154155156157165175205305 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 6336
  1. #1541 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    You aint' alright, Spider Preacher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    Bowtie did a good job of answering your questions but may I add a few ...

I would say that the tank leaking issue is a defect in the construction of the tank. The rear studs that attach the tank to the bike are made in such a way that over tightening or rough road riding might cause a leak.

To say that you will never take the tank off says to me that you are an inexperienced motorcycle user because sometime over the life of the bike you will have to take the tank off.
    With that in mind, perhaps you should not buy one of these Chinese bikes.

These Chinese bikes should not be bought by someone expecting Japanese bike quality.
    Thank You BTwagon for your in depth answer to my question. And to others thank you very much I am VERY familiar with Chinese bikes owning two scooters. I am very experienced with "jury rigged" fixes, for example the mirrors on my 150cc that are legendary for not staying put. I have never owned a Japanese street bike so comparing the two would be pointless. I can handle most issues with this bike and those that escape my prowess will be handled by a very experienced Chinese cycle/scooter tech that also happens to be a friend of mine. I have known how to ride motorcycles longer than some of you have been alive but they were dirt bikes. I only wanted some info on the gas tank and thanx again BT for your intelligent response.

2011 Yellow Peace Powersports Scooter 150cc
    2011 Sunny Powersports Rally 150cc
    2008 Yellow Wildfire Motors 50cc R4

2. #1542 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    Preacher, you'll do fine, send photos when you get it.

Alleycat, do they still show 2010 as model year or '11?,'12?
    Let's see your machine (out of the crate)!

3. #1543 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Preacher,
    Sorry I hurt you feelings but when someone says"I never plan on taking mine off so will I be alright? I would like to know BEFORE plopping my money down. Thanx in advance." then that is a good sign of inexperience regarding motorcycles.

Good thing you have a "very experienced Chinese cycle/scooter tech that also happens to be a friend of mine."

What's the big deal about the layaway?

BTW, I built my first motorcycle at age 12 back in 1954.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

4. #1544 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Thanx GR. It has been ordered today in gray (matches my Helmet haha)
    Last edited by Preacher; 12-30-2011 at 09:28 AM.

5. #1545 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiewagon View Post
    I had a leak and it had never taken the tank off at all. But....we have very bumpy roads around here in Houston.tough riding for a rigid bike.You can feel every nuance of the road.It rattles your teeth .I figured with all the bumps and bangs the bike gets in my travels it just tweeked the tank brackets enough to crack a weld.which it did. No worries.I removed the tank..jb welded both brackets and did as barnone did ..sleeved the studs,and secured it with nylon threaded nuts and did not clamp down tight but snug. no leaks thus far.I intead to change the tank eventually..when I find the right one for the right price,probably at a swap meet as I am after that RAT bike look. Listen these bikes are a tremendous buy..but you do get what you pay for.It isnt a Rolls Royce,and things are gonna happen,but again for the cost,and the enjoyment...I am fully satisfied with my purchase,and I just fix as I go.I have had some experience fixing and switching these chinese bikes for the last three years as I have been on a chinese scooter for that time and always having to do something to stay on the road..but it is small stuff..nothing mechanical from the motor..just little things.Lots of plastic stuff . For instance,last night I was checking my oil..and the chrome plastic top of the dip stick popped off while I was unscrewing the stick...nothing broke,just the small amount of glue they use to mate the top and the stick had seperated from the joint.easy fix,superglue...now works fine.But you are gonna run into these things with this bike.But again...for the cost..nothing to cry over,and something to expect.
    I was riding home one night,and my kill switch knob flew off...the little screw inside the harness assembly was not tightened enogh..and it is not something you would think about tearing the assembly apart to tighten..so i just didn't get upset.then a few days ago..my brake switch on the bars went out..brake light work with the foot brake,and touching the two wires together at the bars made the lights work so it was the switch.I called scooter depot,talked to a tech,and three days later..(last night) a box showed up with a new switch,and they sent me a new harnes assy with the kill switch knob on it..the whole assemby..not just the knob.No charge to me,I paid the extra warranty on the bike(I recomend this as it covers it all pretty much for a longer time) and worth the extra cash.(experience from the scooter again). so I am good to go.
    I love this bike.It is what i have been looking to ride for a long time.Small cc and cool looking.Simple to maintain,and just plain cost effective.What more could you ask for.
    I will recomend this bike to anyone,regardless of any of the small issue that come up.they are nothign to be upset about,and the cost is way cheaper than it would have been for a big brand name bike and any repairs done on them.This is realy an old school way to ride,you ride..you maintain..the heck with dealerships and flash. Every motorcycleist has a tool bag,cause every bike big or small breaks down..so this bike is no different. just cheaper to ride,and to me...cooler than anything else out there.
    I archived this in my Email so I can remember what to watch out for. I also passed it on to my friends at Heluva Scooter here in Oldsmar and they were very thankful for the info. I know you guys are not fans of dealers and usually neither am I but The owners are friends of mine so I get lots of perks like free helmets and Bikes at Cost etc. I will post pics and video when I take possession in about a month. I cant wait! Thanx again.
    Last edited by Preacher; 12-30-2011 at 09:27 AM.

6. #1546 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by GUN ROD View Post
    Preacher, you'll do fine, send photos when you get it.

Alleycat, do they still show 2010 as model year or '11?,'12?
    Let's see your machine (out of the crate)!
    Mine shows a build date of Dec 2010. I haven't had a chance to get back to it yet, still have flu-like crap.
    Working all day and "crashing" when I get home. Maybe this weekend...
    2010 Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Owner

7. #1547 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    What grade of gas are you guys using?
    2010 Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Owner

8. #1548 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    87 octane works fine for my DF CG250 engine.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

9. #1549 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Well folks,I had an interesting ride yesterday. I hit 3rd gear and bam the clutch cable snapped..I did not panick..I basicly rode the bike in third found a less travelled street to turn onto, and rode the throttle down until it stalled to a stop. Had to have my bro-in-law pick me up with the trailer.Gonna call the scooterdepot today If they are open and get a replacement sent...but I am also gonna look for another cable to use instead as i feel that this is an unacceptable defect. I only have 800 plus miles on it..and there truly is not a reason why the cable should just snap at the tip like that. Freaky moment for sure. Very disapponting as well ,as the weather these past two days were ment for riding..since we have had mostly gloomy weather all weekend, an now i cannot ride. I suggest you check you cables on a regualr basis and maybe even look into replacing them to be safe.

10. #1550 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    bow,
    Did the cable actually break or did the end come off? Can you take a photo of the broken spot?
    Thanks,
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG