Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 332 of 634 FirstFirst ... 182282312322330331332333334342352382482 ... LastLast
Results 3,311 to 3,320 of 6336
  1. #3311 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Hey Bob from NV, where did you get your tank decals at?
    Last edited by freezerboy; 04-09-2013 at 07:08 AM.

2. #3312 Re: Bobber 
    Quote Originally Posted by wes.yates View Post
    New to the forum here. Saw the bobber (Dong Fang) and immediately loved it, however I have heard some... discouraging things about the bike.

I am reading this thread in as much as I can but still begs the question: Get one or not? I see there are a lot of needed mods to be made and a lot of things to check or be aware of, but overall -- scale 1 - 10, would you recommend it (1 is hell no, 10 is hell yea)?

I will be reading further. thanks.

8896 miles on mine, I say yes get it.For the money you cannot beat it.Just remember you get what you pay for.There are things to do, and honestly it still comes out cheaper than a $30k bike, that has the same issues one way or another.

3. #3313 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
    votage regulator and turn signal relay from http://www.scooterparts4less.com/

Found replacement rear sprocket studs.

Honda Part number 90128-382-670 made in Japan.
    Source - Ebay

bent your shift rod ? http://www.gravesport.com/Graves-Mot...Shift-Rod.html

horn bracket as well as a reflector bracket broke for seemingly no reason (rewelded reflector , replaced horn with 1 from Oreilies autoparts (car horn))

sprocket - http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Motorcycl...?search=JTR279 - 520 chain - most seem to go for 36 tooth 38 if your heavy or riding in really hilly conditions , myself (175 lbs) I use a 428 chain 17/36 (17 front wont fit with 520 chain) (15/30 16/33 520 equivalant) (80+ mph indicated perfect conditions) but you MUST HAVE jetting and air ram and keep valve adjustments very close and keep flapping clothing (drag) to a minimum or you will never see the top of 5th
    - and remember max horsepower (between 10-15) is produced @ 2/3rds max RPM's unlike overhead cam motors and then it drops off SHARPLY , gear accordingly , you need not reach max rpm's in 5th if you can hold your desired cruise speed at 1/2-2/3 rpm's , which also increases fuel economy and manages heat better

air injector delete

dimming headlight problem, really easy to unplug the blue and white wire from the dark green wire and plug it into the other blue and white wire like it should have been been in the first place. now my light switch works and my lights don't dim

upjet http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post41593

magnetic drain plug - http://www.oldbikebarn.com/BikeMaste...AG-12MM-ALU-BM

LED tail light ( buy and install new socket/bulb )

I went to auto parts store and bought a radiator hose (used the air filter for sizing) with a 180 degree bend in it cut it to only have the U shape bolted it to the carb the other end to the air filter , now I have a forward facing air intake out in the air stream - aka poormans air ram ( no real effect untill past 50 indicated )

new battery (have to chop into steel battery box to get new 1 to fit) from autozone

HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM!!!!!!
    Filled up the tank and started. Holy s--t full RPM, couldn't get to the kill switch fast enough.
    pulled the needle seat didnt ya :P
    wide open throttle is caused by re-inserting the carb tube (with needle in it) so dont seat fully . I did that myself
    look at it the cutout has to be facing the rear wheel , and it will let it seat deeper , stopping that WOT on start

valve adjust - https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...wZDM3&hl=en_US = compression stroke = both valves fully raised

chain roller - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-CHAIN-RO...009836&vxp=mtr

55/65 watt sealed beam headlight that fits - its a , Sylvania H5006 , and the Wiring harness to go with it , fit inside the existing headlamp shell

all right I believe thats everything fairly relivant to the DF's for the most part (just thought I would mash all upgrade repairs together into 1 compact area) - most are from what others have found im just jamming em into 1 post

AWESOME JOB DAN...thanks.
    Them sprocket bolts are pricey..but less work than i had to do. Only question is what is the grade on them? not real importanty since the grade 8's I made mine out of last year,broke on me nayway..but I guess that is what they are supposed to do. Beats having to buy a new rear wheel cause the hub is mangled instead of the bolts breaking.

4. #3314 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Hey Bob from NV, where did you get your tank decals at?

A friend of mine made them for me from a picture I found on the web.

I've just been tightening bolts and polishing lately, waiting for the safety class in mid May to get my endorsement.

5. #3315 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    Last edited by chruk bashre; 06-27-2013 at 03:41 PM.

6. #3316 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by chruk bashre View Post
    what size sprocket. 38t leave chain alone. it will work. but if smaller you should remove a couple of links at least. show a pic of tensioner trouble.

here is what i did. looks more raw than it is. handmade. no bench,no vice,no grinder. some guys weld it right to the bike. mine is a bolt on. was originally designed to show off the part itself but lined up perfectly with the chain(little tire) when bolted on other side of bracket. so we see the RAW bracket with the nice shiny stuff behind it. works great. i am going to put a 38t sprocket on in a couple of days and i am leaving the chain length alone.

chntension.jpgchntension1.jpg
    Chruk
    Can you walk us through the handmade parts & modifications?

7. #3317 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    i will take pictures when i take it off next couple of days. then post them with arrows 'n stuff

8. #3318 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    so anyway go to legendmcs.com then bottom of page to see tensioners. made by LBV. or any one of them that looks good to you. there are 3 or 4 of them. not cheap. then the tire will be too big to have enough play, or room, at least it was for me. so i found that spitfire skateboard tire. at 48mm its the smallest i could find.
    i am sure there are other places and prices for chain tensioners.
    so thats all i can walk ya'll thru rite now.

9. #3319 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have the monstercraftsman chain tensioner 1" clamp on. Had attached to rear frame cross tube by rear wheel, but the fit is a bit tight and when the chain goes tight the wheel is hitting the frame.

10. #3320 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by chruk bashre View Post
    bobthebobber - is the fender crooked and holes and bolts lined up funny? is so loosen bolts and move the fender around and maybe it has enuf play and can be moved or placed up a little bit higher. is the wire a dangle or wiggily or not secure or even a little bit loose? hold it down with black ductape. tight inside the fender i mean. thats what i would look for anyway. hope its that easy.

Everything was as it should be. The wires were tight as could be. Scooter depot says they are sending me an entire new tail light and if that doesnt work a new fender and mounts.. Idk..

Bike still is back firing through the carb and stalling when idle, but drives with no issues. Had a HELL of time changing the rear sprocket because the damn studs that hold the sprocket in kept spinning around and I had to jam a flat head screw driver in between the sprocket and hub to try and hold them still... BIG BIG pain in the butt. Instead of making a cover for the air injection removal im just going to plug the main hose and rip everything else off.. problem solved for 0 $.