Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 433 of 634 FirstFirst ... 283383413423431432433434435443453483583 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,330 of 6336
  1. #4321 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Yup, had to remove the stripe on the gas tank. It started peeling so I just remove the whole stripe.
    No, I didn't repaint the gas tank. Maybe during the winter months.

2. #4322 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    The muffler wrap was a must for me, it burn a few of my pants already.

3. #4323 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi town View Post
    Yup, had to remove the stripe on the gas tank. It started peeling so I just remove the whole stripe.
    No, I didn't repaint the gas tank. Maybe during the winter months.
    Looks like you have the black gloss with the clear coat over the stripes, right? I wanna go all flat lack including the shiny stuff on the engine but will wait until I am in FL for the winter.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

4. #4324 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Sorry, forgot to mention that my DF is gloss black. I wouldn't mind having the flat black, but I didn't have that option when ordering.
    I'm thinking having the frame painted as well, just having decided what color yet. Been busy tuning the carb and all other small mods.
    I'm also planning on getting a 10-12" ape bar.
    After passing my motorcycle license test, I might add a home-made jockey shifter with the clutch on it.

5. #4325 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Sorry, forgot to mention that my DF is gloss black. I wouldn't mind having the flat black, but I didn't have that option when ordering.
    I'm thinking having the frame painted as well, just having decided what color yet. Been busy tuning the carb and all other small mods.
    I'm also planning on getting a 10-12" ape bar.
    After passing my motorcycle license test, I might add a home-made jockey shifter with the clutch on it.
    When i first got my bike, i fabbed a very simple shift mechanism for behind the seat on the left. Having been new to this bike, new to a springer front end, and new to ape hangers, that all made it a very scary driving experience indeed.

Pulling my hand so far away from the handle bars with the ape hanger and a springers which already felt like they wanted to jump out of my hands, was at times down right dangerous.
    The very low stock gearing didn't help either as it required things like shifts in the middle of an intersection and what not...

For my suburban driving, that was clearly a bust, but I'm now working on a design to add a jockey shift to the right side very close to the handle bar.
    This way, my hand is never too far from the grip at any given time.
    This will also will leave the clutch on the left handle which i believe very important to safe secure stopping.

I would think you as I, aren't riding a bike for the safety aspects, im sure your forks are much smoother, and your handles are much closer, but its something to consider if you are doing city driving with such a setup. I assuming your in Chicago.
    If you and I lived out in the sticks, maybe it would be a moot point.
    Last edited by axa; 08-19-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    2012 DF250RTB_B with Yamaha XV250 V-twin
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)
    2003 LS650 with Voodoo Vintage hardtail

6. #4326 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    Looks like you have the black gloss with the clear coat over the stripes, right? I wanna go all flat lack including the shiny stuff on the engine but will wait until I am in FL for the winter.
    I thought about this when painting my fender and tank, when i saw the high temp flat black paints for BBQs.

But how would you prep the engine?

It either needs to come out for a good cleaning or a sandblast.
    I don't see how leaving it in place I'd be able to get the proper angles and coat on all those fins.
    Id really like to do it but worry the time to do this properly is more than id like to invest.
    Hope you can pull it off and educate me.
    Last edited by axa; 08-19-2013 at 07:09 PM.
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)

7. #4327 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by axa View Post
    I thought about this when painting my fender and tank, when i saw the high temp flat black paints for BBQs.

But how would you prep the engine?

It either needs to come out for a good cleaning or a sandblast.
    I don't see how leaving it in place I'd be able to get the proper angles and coat on all those fins.
    Id really like to do it but worry the time to do this properly is more than id like to invest.
    Hope you can pull it off and educate me.
    axa,
    Not the whole engine, just the valve cover and the other little shiny covers.
    My goal is to look old bike as much as possible.
    How to prep these surfaces? Wire brush, Scotch pads, steel wool, fine sand paper, primer?

Ideas and advice from our painter members would be appreciated.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

8. #4328 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    axa,
    Not the whole engine, just the valve cover and the other little shiny covers.
    My goal is to look old bike as much as possible.
    How to prep these surfaces? Wire brush, Scotch pads, steel wool, fine sand paper, primer?

Ideas and advice from our painter members would be appreciated.
    I see, you want to black out the engine.
    Yes, those parts can readily be removed.
    Though I would recommend a sandblasting.

I needed to refinish the the engine side clutch bracket after it needed a bending correction, (it was digging into the cable on each clutch pull)

Bending cracked off the rather thin, inferior chrome job, but it was still a real bitch to sand the part clean becuase of its unevenness, i don't, yet, have a sand blaster.

That said, I believe the Heist comes with these parts blacked out, how about inquiring about replacements from them. Unless you have access to a blaster, the cost may be worth it.

Ive heard muriatic acid might take it off though. Never tried.
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)

9. #4329 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Axa,
    I'm planning on adding the shifter on the left side of the tank. I think having on the right side would be more dangerous as the front brake are at the right side of the handlebar. Unless you planning on taking the front brake out of your system or moving it to the left side.
    What I have in mind for my shifter is just basic. Since it seem we could adjust the current clutch pedal, I was planning to adjust the pedal at maybe 90 degrees and use the three holes to lock down the pipe. I have to get the ape bars first so the handlebar won't hit into the shifter if I ever plan on turning left all the way. This all still a thought in process. School started for me today and it looks like I won't be able to mess around with my bike as much as I like too.

Last night I had my pilot jet change to 45 and today I found that, that was making my engine run really rich. It was so rich that fire came out of the muffler. Pull over right away and lean as much as I could. I'm hoping I didn't do any damage on my DF. Now I just change the 45 pilot to a 42. Hope I don't see fire again tomorrow..... But it was nice for once seeing that my DF had some power today. Acceleration felt much faster that's for sure

10. #4330 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Axa,
    I'm planning on adding the shifter on the left side of the tank. I think having on the right side would be more dangerous as the front brake are at the right side of the handlebar. Unless you planning on taking the front brake out of your system or moving it to the left side.
    What I have in mind for my shifter is just basic. Since it seem we could adjust the current clutch pedal, I was planning to adjust the pedal at maybe 90 degrees and use the three holes to lock down the pipe. I have to get the ape bars first so the handlebar won't hit into the shifter if I ever plan on turning left all the way. This all still a thought in process. School started for me today and it looks like I won't be able to mess around with my bike as much as I like too.

Last night I had my pilot jet change to 45 and today I found that, that was making my engine run really rich. It was so rich that fire came out of the muffler. Pull over right away and lean as much as I could. I'm hoping I didn't do any damage on my DF. Now I just change the 45 pilot to a 42. Hope I don't see fire again tomorrow..... But it was nice for once seeing that my DF had some power today. Acceleration felt much faster that's for sure
    Come on bro, if its really that rich you've got a prime opportunity to try that way lean scoop with such a rich mix!
    Then let us know...
    Its your rear, but short term testing like this really shouldn't do any damage.

Nah, you spend a far majority of the time in gear cruising, not shifting.
    On the right i can pull both the brake and clutch quickly and adjust to the situation. This happens alot. With it on the left, you can brake quickly but then pulling a hand off to grab the clutch when you might already be off balance... i found id just end up stalling...

I cant say sure which is better, but i think id feel better with it on the right, we'll see.
    Last edited by axa; 08-20-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)