Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 489 of 634 FirstFirst ... 339439469479487488489490491499509539 ... LastLast
Results 4,881 to 4,890 of 6336
  1. #4881 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Your sputtering and neutral issues are common. All of us seem to have had them from the get go.I still do on occasion.I notice that I can shift to neutral on the down shift while the bike is slowly rolling to a stop..so it is now second nature to do so coming up on traffic stops.The sputtering well.. I just ignore it..it goes away as I ride most of the time. Remember these are cheap rides, and you get what you pay for.I have just under 11,000 miles on mine at this time, and with it being riding season now...well the numbers are most definetly going to increase.
    I know alot of folks on here have done some adjusting,tweeking, and overall mods...I kept mine basic stock from the wrapper.Just swapped out the bars for mini ape hangers, and added saddle bags( had to fabricate the brackets). also after many rides, I eventually had to change the seat. Aside from that she is bone stock, and runs just like I want her to. Heck I have not even changed the spark plug yet. But I know now that i said something I may have to..murphy's law ya know.
    What i am getting at is do not sweat the small stuff.. it is what it is.
    Enjoy the ride, that is what matters. By the way, I have just about any and every tool I need to basically rebuild the bike ,all in two neat little tool bags that are always in my saddle bags...ya never know.

2. #4882 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The sputtering wouldn't be hard to ignore if it wasn't for the fact that it occurs at low speeds, which can make cornering difficult or downright dangerous depending on the situation. I'm considering installing an upgraded CDI and coil combo (I've heard good things on the Casoli CDI box), along with spending the day tomorrow adjusting the carbs float height, idle speed/mix. I pulled the plug and it was solid black from the rich mixture. I'm running an NGK plug, I might up it to a platinum if it might help.

The drag bar install went without much difficulty, I've still got to drill holes for the combo switches, and find a way to run the clutch/brake cables now that there's a good 4-6 inches of extra cabling. The combo switch was an easy fix as well, just a bent component in the switch itself. Next up is getting the rear tire fixed, and then just enjoying the ride once weather warms up! Might do some paint as well, since I've got a professional auto body paint booth that's rentable nearby, I'm thinking a 50's hot rod color, maybe red or orange, with checkerboard stripes. And before I forget, is our CDI set up for AC or DC? I'm guessing DC since it has a rectifier?

Thanks again to you all for the help, I do appreciate it!

3. #4883 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Woody87,
    The DF is basically a nice simple motorcycle. People f**k them up and then blame the bike.

I doubt that changing the CDI, coil, or spark plug to a platinum will fix your low engine rpm sputtering. I don't remember many problems with those items on the DF. Probably just running way too rich. Do clean the plug.

I think that you need to work on your carburetor some more. What size is your low speed (pilot jet) jet? Has someone bored it out? Are there any washers under he needle head.Check the paragraph on Idle and Low Speed in the pdf. Screw in the air mixture screw lightly seated it and try one turn out.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

4. #4884 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    curious if anyone has collision on their DF?

i insured the DF it fully over the first year as i thought it might be worthy as i got used to driving a hardtail springer...
    But now im not so sure if its worthy.

my agent says they would pay about what a "used" bike would be. thing is I doubt any one over there would ever find a listing for a used DF or the kbb value. and if they do it wouldnt be much.

dropping collision cuts my premiums for the year nearly in half.

what do you guys do.
    Last edited by axa; 04-18-2014 at 08:18 PM.

5. #4885 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Hi all, does anyone know where I can get new throttle and clutch cable for my 2012 DF?

6. #4886 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Barnone,

I've got a 40 pilot 105 main jet setup, but that's what the bike came with from the factory. I've adjusted the float height to 15mm, lowering the fuel level about 1mm more than the Walbro PDF has for their PZ26. I've also adjusted the valves to the factory recommended .006I/.008E. When I removed the valve cover this morning and brought the engine to TDC I found that there was almost no clearance at all!

I started it up and noticed that it fired up a bit quicker and turned over easier, but I've still got to mess with the carb. I cleaned the plug and carb prior to firing it up, and let the engine warm up after the float adjustment. Pulled the plug after all this, and still found it sooty black. The mixture screw is about 2 turns out from seated for all this, and adjusting it helps barely. The carb keeps "coughing" from a cold start, sending a noticeable puff of fuel out of the air filter each time it does.

7. #4887 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody87 View Post
    Barnone,

I've got a 40 pilot 105 main jet setup, but that's what the bike came with from the factory. I've adjusted the float height to 15mm, lowering the fuel level about 1mm more than the Walbro PDF has for their PZ26. I've also adjusted the valves to the factory recommended .006I/.008E. When I removed the valve cover this morning and brought the engine to TDC I found that there was almost no clearance at all!

I started it up and noticed that it fired up a bit quicker and turned over easier, but I've still got to mess with the carb. I cleaned the plug and carb prior to firing it up, and let the engine warm up after the float adjustment. Pulled the plug after all this, and still found it sooty black. The mixture screw is about 2 turns out from seated for all this, and adjusting it helps barely. The carb keeps "coughing" from a cold start, sending a noticeable puff of fuel out of the air filter each time it does.
    The 2010 DF came with a smaller man jet than a 105 if I remember right.
    I wonder if it is really still a 40 and a 105 . Any washers under the needle? After it is warmed up does it still cough?

Here is a brand new Dekni PZ30 carb for $29.91 shipped.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEKNI-PZ-30-...p2054897.l4275
    I'd buy that and put it on unchanged and see what she will do. Ain't no telling what has been done to your carb.
    And if it runs good leave it alone.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

8. #4888 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi town View Post
    Hi all, does anyone know where I can get new throttle and clutch cable for my 2012 DF?
    Did you try these bozos?
    http://www.scooterdepot.us/parts_htm...arts_list.html
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

9. #4889 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by axa View Post
    curious if anyone has collision on their DF?

i insured the DF it fully over the first year as i thought it might be worthy as i got used to driving a hardtail springer...
    But now im not so sure if its worthy.

my agent says they would pay about what a "used" bike would be. thing is I doubt any one over there would ever find a listing for a used DF or the kbb value. and if they do it wouldnt be much.

dropping collision cuts my premiums for the year nearly in half.

what do you guys do.
    Guess it depends on what half the premium cost. I just have liability on my DF and W650 but full coverage on my Ural.
    Ride the Ural most of the time since I can carry a lot of stuff in it.
    1005131125-00.jpg

Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

10. #4890 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Barnone,

It still coughs while warm, mostly at speeds below 20mph, in first/second gear. No washer under the needle, and the jet size should be accurate, I read it off of the jets, and the bike came to me from the drop shipper in the steel crate so noone has had it prior to me.

If I get another carb I may just use a Walbro. Question is, doI need to swap over the accel pump, or run without it