Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 525 of 634 FirstFirst ... 375475505515523524525526527535545575 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,250 of 6336
  1. #5241 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Have an emergency, if anyone is aboad here. I redid the wiring for my bike,making sure every wire was attached to the same wire it was attached to before. Now here is what is happening. evrything seems to work, I get power to and from the starter switch on the bars, and all the way to the starter relay, but It will not turn the starter over. I bought a new relay and just put it on, but still the same issue.. not start. I checked again with my test light, and all wires get power when i press the switch.But the wire to the starter from the relay is still not getting power. Common sense tells you that the relay is not good ..correct? Here is my question.I bought a relay from a scooter place that is supposed to be for a 250cc motor. Now, are the relays that critical? is there one I should buy and instead of this one I have? I looked all over ebay and found a few that look similar, but is the current an issue?

Also what does a CDI do? just wondering if my problem lies somewhere else. Now I did hot jump the starter while the wires were attatched on the relay, just a quick tap, and it works. I am nuts here with this. Driving me batty.

2. #5242 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiewagon View Post
    Have an emergency, if anyone is aboad here. I redid the wiring for my bike,making sure every wire was attached to the same wire it was attached to before. Now here is what is happening. evrything seems to work, I get power to and from the starter switch on the bars, and all the way to the starter relay, but It will not turn the starter over. I bought a new relay and just put it on, but still the same issue.. not start. I checked again with my test light, and all wires get power when i press the switch.But the wire to the starter from the relay is still not getting power. Common sense tells you that the relay is not good ..correct? Here is my question.I bought a relay from a scooter place that is supposed to be for a 250cc motor. Now, are the relays that critical? is there one I should buy and instead of this one I have? I looked all over ebay and found a few that look similar, but is the current an issue?

Also what does a CDI do? just wondering if my problem lies somewhere else. Now I did hot jump the starter while the wires were attatched on the relay, just a quick tap, and it works. I am nuts here with this. Driving me batty.
    You need a relay rated to carry the current that the starter motor will pull once it starts spinning.I can't say what your starter will require or what the new relay can handle.The CDI is what controls the ignition and timing the firing events.It is what motorcycles use instead of an electronic distributor.Also,new batteries may need to be charged.They can go low while sitting on the shelf.

3. #5243 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have another question. On the clutch handle, there are two wires that come off that.Where do they go to? What are they for? Are they something truly needed?

4. #5244 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have another question. On the clutch handle, there are two wires that come off that.Where do they go to? What are they for? Are they something truly needed?
    So you can start bike in gear by pulling clutch lever in.
    Yes important.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

5. #5245 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Thanks Bar, well the problem was that the new switch I had to get to replace my no functioning light switch did not have that on it. So I do not know where they run to on the scematic to replace them. Any info on that. I would like to rewire that so they work.

6. #5246 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Thanks Bar, well the problem was that the new switch I had to get to replace my no functioning light switch did not have that on it. So I do not know where they run to on the scematic to replace them. Any info on that. I would like to rewire that so they work.

clutch side? aint there the horn switch wires also?

might you have a car to try and jump it with?
    i never get any results push starting

i would say the relay should be 15A as the stock fuse was 15A, but i had been driving around with 10A fuse for a while as its all i had, so 10A relay should at least work if not last long.

bad switch , but u already tested with light.

your left with a loose or fraying wire.
    a loose or fraying wire could readily allow a small current to pass for a test lite, but when current increases for the starter, that small resistance increase drops voltage across it and might cause a problem on the load (starter).
    if that's your problem you need to find that bad wire cuz it will soon burn up from the heat of dropped voltage...
    same goes for the switch now that i think of it, it might pass the current for the test light but a bad contact may cause the higher resistance...

you can try just BRIEFLY shorting the starter straight to the battery bypassing everything and make sure its not the starter...

then remove the relay for testing alone...
    that all it can be i think

7. #5247 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    I don't think that the missing clutch switch should keep the bike from starting. I don't have a 2010 DF wiring diagram. I think you should still be able to start the bike with the transmission in neutral.

I'd try axa's idea of jumping directly to the starter.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

8. #5248 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    I kinda thought that the clutch thing would not be an issue, i just neede to hear another opinion on it, so thanks bar. Plus I have already jumped the starter, it works fine. It was suggested to me to use another type of rela. i am going to try that. I think the one I purchased to replace the first bad one, just was not strong enough, as it was designed for a scooter.. so we shall see what happens from this point.

9. #5249 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    I kinda thought that the clutch thing would not be an issue, i just neede to hear another opinion on it, so thanks bar. Plus I have already jumped the starter, it works fine. It was suggested to me to use another type of rela. i am going to try that. I think the one I purchased to replace the first bad one, just was not strong enough, as it was designed for a scooter.. so we shall see what happens from this point.
    Should not matter if it is a scooter relay. Is the relay picking?
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

10. #5250 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Picking? Not sure what that means.