Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 583 of 634 FirstFirst ... 433533563573581582583584585593603633 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,830 of 6336
  1. #5821 Re: Broken Sprocket Studs 
    I think if you browse some past responses by me, you will find some OEM honda that I purchased and are still going strong after two initial tries at china made as well as two tries at home spun.

2. #5822 Re: Broken Sprocket Studs 
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiewagon View Post
    I think if you browse some past responses by me, you will find some OEM honda that I purchased and are still going strong after two initial tries at china made as well as two tries at home spun.

what do you mean home spun? meaning you turned them yourself?
    id be real interested in knowing what alloy you used and what tool radius you cut your shoulders that ended up failing???

Also fwiw, dont at all be surprised that you will often receive something 'NOS' to be counterfeit, as with these bolts or a million other things on the web especially with the explosion on ebay.

Counterfeiting is a huge business and a simple bolt like this widely used on many bikes is a perfect choice when you can spin something for cents and it ends up selling for 5.99 each...

for example, i cant say this with any definitive authority, but it my initial observation this bolt is a fake
    mainly for Ive seen the oem parts usually are a gray alloy, as well as it does not have a proper rounded shoulder so important on a shear application.
    Selling for $10 plus shipping no less...

Of course i could be wrong about this particular item, but ive found just about every part from china i can verify, ended up being a fake, from carb jets, to micro-controller ICs.
    That said I expected it, and they all turned out to work pretty well.

3. #5823 Re: Broken Sprocket Studs 
    also with so many miles, did you change your kush bearings yet?
    if so where did you find these?
    Last edited by axa; 05-09-2016 at 05:32 PM.

4. #5824 Re: Broken Sprocket Studs 
    when I get home from work tonight I will look for the links that I had that replaced the bushings as well as the new studs. As for the home spun, I basically got I think either 8 or ten grade bolts, cot them to fit, had the weld shop weld washers to them.They worked for a while, but I finally found the right studs so i replaced them. but tonight I shall look. I think i have them saved.

Also these are almost the same bushings I purchased last time.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/152080949775...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

5. #5825 Re: Broken Sprocket Studs 
    when I get home from work tonight I will look for the links that I had that replaced the bushings as well as the new studs. As for the home spun, I basically got I think either 8 or ten grade bolts, cot them to fit, had the weld shop weld washers to them.They worked for a while, but I finally found the right studs so i replaced them. but tonight I shall look. I think i have them saved.

Also these are almost the same bushings I purchased last time.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/152080949775...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    This is an interesting note, perhaps beyond the scope or interest of this group, but interesting to what I found these stock studs fail.
    Of course they are not made of the most durable resilient material but do have somewhat of a hardened treatment.
    More specifically they are incorrectly machined for a primarily shear.

In the case using a threaded bolt welded, and because of the threads the working diameter of the part is further reduced, and the shoulder is even more exaggerated.
    Furthermore most if not all of the hardening of a class bolt is likely lost barbecues of weld heat as it normalizes.

Therefore how long these parts might have lasted tell us a lot about the quality of material used on the stock parts.
    And hints to me if even should take the time to harden my parts

6. #5826 Re: Broken Sprocket Studs 
    Nice to be back in the mountains of Western North Carolina.
    The DF is running just fine.
    Attached Images
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

7. #5827 Re: Broken Sprocket Studs 
    AXA, sorry did not get back so fast. Was not aware you PMed me.
    The original bolts on the sprocket hub just snapped. I had the new ones made, and they too snapped at the sprocket. I believe there was just a little more play than should have been. I had made them from 8 grade, and they were just a wee bit bigger in diameter,so I had to make the sprocket hole a wee bit larger as well. ,since the sprocket I purchased had two sets of mounting holes to it, it was easy to reuse it when I got the OEM studs. These OEM seem to be doing just fine.

8. #5828 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Bar, nice pics. weather looks good out there. Been a little wet around me as of late, but some good days as well.

9. #5829 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Bar, nice pics. weather looks good out there. Been a little wet around me as of late, but some good days as well.
    Been a little too cold for me. But it is very nice to have some mountains and curvy roads. Plus there is very little traffic here unlike South West Florida where I spend the winter.
    The monkey bikes are all running just fine too although I had to order two new batteries for them. Luckily they have kick starters. All my bikes including the Ural sidecar rig except for the the DF have kick starters.
    Attached Images
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

10. #5830 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Kinda quiet around here so I am posting a photo of my DF with newly added Indian decals. A guy said that that is a good looking old bike and I said it was a 1914 Indian and he was happy.
    Anybody know of a source for a new DF250RTB-A like mine? Seems all the places online are sold out with no new ones coming.
    Attached Images
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG