Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 598 of 634 FirstFirst ... 448548578588596597598599600608618 ... LastLast
Results 5,971 to 5,980 of 6336
  1. #5971 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Chongqing Zongshen is the OEM for Dong Fang's engines according to the EPA certification list for 2016 (the 2017 list has not been updated, and will probably be updated over the next several months if Dongfang decides to bring in 2017's) which was the last time Dong Fang sent a list of bikes to certify. You should be able to find a Zongshen branded engine easier than Dong Fang, and it might simply be imported as a replacement engine vs. a cannibalized bike used for warranty/parts (theorizing the source of your ebay engine, Bowtie). I would guess that a Lifan crate engine should work, but I would suggest to find a Zongshen crate engine first, if you can. But, again, according to the 2016 certification, Dong Fangs lists their sports bike, bobbers, and enduros (something like 6 or 7 bikes) under the same certification, so the sport bike engine shouldn't have been different than a bobber. Your guess is as good as mine (yours is much better since you have both bike and replacement engine )

2. #5972 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    wow.Thank you so much.That is the MOST information I have seen or heard of yet.
    Trouble I am having is that I noticed that the 167FMM-M motor seems to have a balanced lower end, at least that is something I had noticed on China riders forum. I fear that this motor, although Dong Fang may not. The vibration at around 45 to 50 drives me nuts. That's the reason behind looking for a replacement. Plus. I had to fabricate front motor mounts to affix to it. Where as the over all length for this replacement was shorter than the stock motor.
    I honestly wish there was a way for me to have the transmission rebuilt on the old motor so i can just reuse it. I have to look into that as well. I see plenty of parts out there, but not sure if they would work, and who I could send it to to be repaired.

I truly appreciate the information. I will keep searching. in fact since I have read this, I have been. But still cannot seem to locate a dealer to sell me just a Zongshen motor either.

Last edited by bowtiewagon; 02-02-2017 at 04:49 AM. Reason: fix errors in script

3. #5973 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Looking on the certification list--for 2016, Dong Fang's engine is 223cc and the model number of the engine is 165FMM as opposed to 167FMM. Near Dong Fang's certification, there are several certifications for CCW's various bikes--their engine OEM is Lifan, and the engines' model numbers are all 167FMM-M. I do believe that Lifan and Zongshen use the same-ish model numbers for their engines.

Could you use the transmission bits from your mail-order engine for your old engine?

I am not sure how it is done, and actually am intimidated by it, but several US based members on chinariders have reported using Taobao successfully to order parts. If you can figure it out (I guess you go through an agent who speaks English) this might be the way to go for your engine.

4. #5974 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    culcune,
    Very good info you posted. So the 167rmm engine for the 2010 and 2012 DF is a Lifan?
    Still enjoy riding mine but the Ural gets ridden the most.

IMG_20160128_133127.jpg
    Thanks
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

5. #5975 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    culcune,
    Very good info you posted. So the 167rmm engine for the 2010 and 2012 DF is a Lifan?
    Still enjoy riding mine but the Ural gets ridden the most.

IMG_20160128_133127.jpg
    Thanks
    I found the certification list from both 2010 and 2012; both are vague in stating that Dongfang is the engine's manufacturer. They use the full Chinese name 'Chongqing Dongfang......' As an example, TMEC currently state themself as their engine manufacturer for their 200cc enduro, but the real OEM is Zongshen. I would guess that Zongshen was the OEM back then, rather than Lifan, but I could be wrong. Today, (technically 2016--no Dongfangs on the 2017 list as of yet) it does list Zongshen as their engine's OEM.

6. #5976 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    250cc engine, Lifan 250CC air cooled motorcycle engine with balance shaft

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250cc-engine...3D252652024047

From China so make sure it has a EPA certificate.
    Seller 100% Positive feedback

$_35.jpg

Another one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250cc-engine...3D262872317911
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

7. #5977 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Got this message
    "Hey man, How are you?
    I just saw your post about the bike you bought in 2012.
    I have the same bike and love it. Hope you are enjoying it.
    The reason I'm writing you is that my bike got stolen and recovered by police a couple of months ago but it's a mess. I'm trying to fix it as much as I can but I'm lacking knowledge and I have no owner's manual that's what I want to you ask. Do you have one? I found the parts description on Dongfang website but no manual.
    Please let me know if you have it and how to get one please.
    Really appreciate.

Regards,"
    Does anyone have a spare owner's manual for the 2012 DF250RTB?

Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

8. #5978 the 1000 mile experiment 
    So anyone familiar with my work on the 167fmm might know that one of the extreme modifications was a head deck of 35mill, for an increased CR of 10:1
    Actually it was 2 decks of 20 for 9.5 then another 15mill for the 10 CR, which resulted in a limited but very proportional bump in power.

But at 1000 miles this experiment has concluded with a burnt up exhaust valve:

burnt intake valve.jpg

Burnt up valves can be caused by a number of reasons but Occam's razor makes me conclude it was the compression and heat that comes with it.
    It slowly reduced in diameter as it rotated around which i could notice towards the end when i had to consistently adjust the intake valve lash, i needed to raise the lash screw as the value keep closing deeper into the valve seat... Finally total failure a total loss of compression as the larger pit built up.

I also noticed that the valve seal had slipped off, would hate for such a small thing to have been the cause of the failure, but I'm dismissing this as speculation as i didn't notice much smoke or oil consumption

Fortunately I knew this was a risky proposition and bought out a few heads real cheap on clearance... ill paint a new head and throw it in.

Thing is with the deck i could easily maintain the modest state speed limit of 55 on a long incline to work each day, where without i recall falling to say 45mph or so holding up traffic.

Perhaps things would be fine if i stopped at 20 mill for 9.5... but Ive sort of grown out of and moved on to bigger and better hobbies...
    we'll see...
    Last edited by axa; 04-10-2017 at 09:43 PM.
    2012 DF250RTB_B with Yamaha XV250 V-twin
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)
    2003 LS650 with Voodoo Vintage hardtail

9. #5979 Re: the 1000 mile experiment 
    being an amateur at this, I must ask. If you just replace/install a new head back to an original you should be able to fix the issue and still ride? I am not one for knowing or wanting to do so much custom work, that is why I ask.

10. #5980 Re: the 1000 mile experiment 
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiewagon View Post
    being an amateur at this, I must ask. If you just replace/install a new head back to an original you should be able to fix the issue and still ride? I am not one for knowing or wanting to do so much custom work, that is why I ask.
    ya, i could and expect that replacing with one of my other, NON modified heads, will be just fine...

i suppose if i really wanted i could use the same head and keep replacing the exhaust valve... and just deal with a 1000 mile service life...
    I mean there are few ways to try and deal with this if i really wanted to... such as get better a better conducting alloy valve, and or valve with thicker stems to conduct heat away from the valve head...

buy ya ill likely just paint and new head and mount it as is...
    2012 DF250RTB_B with Yamaha XV250 V-twin
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)
    2003 LS650 with Voodoo Vintage hardtail