Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. #41 Re: BMW 2013 Prices (in China) 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    I think it'd be ideal for China...
    BMWF8GS-ADV as special GS 30th. anniversary colour combo and Nuda 900 engine (more power and very distinctive sound) and BMW can have my deposit any day.
    BMWF8GS-ADV (regular), did a bit of checking, calling around and looks like the only way to get one is via the well-known parallel bike importers.... 'nuff said.

anyway the ideal bike seems to be JH600 if only it had ABS...
    Well, said it before and saying it again, the JL600's are great bikes as solo / sidecar as long you get the newest version with the improved ECU.

2. #42 Re: BMW 2013 Prices (in China) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    The 120K price for the F700GS seemed pretty good, so I went to the Beijing dealer to get the scoop. The guy I chatted with seemed quite knowledgeable and willing to answer my multitude of questions. Here is what I was told:

1) The 120,000 price is a "special" being provided by Germany for a base model. The regular price for the base model is 159,500.
    2) This special price was just announced (I guess at the Shanghai car show).
    3) It is a 4 month wait time after an order goes in.
    4) He had no idea how long this "special" will be offered.
    5) The 120K bike is the base model, with no options.
    6) The base model includes ABS.
    7) He also mentioned that there is another "special", vis a vis the water-cooled R1200GS at 200,000 rmb (regular price is 255,500 for the air/oil cooled bike)

We then had a lengthy discussion about the motorcycle market in China, and he was very informative. I am not sure who he was, but he certainly knew his stuff, spoke pretty good English, and was willing to share lots of details about why BMWs seem to be so expensive in China. For example, I asked how can two equally USA-MSRP-priced bikes (a BMW and a Harley) end up in China with the BMW being 20% - 30% more expensive? Complicated answer, but it completely dispelled my feeling that BMW was somehow gouging Chinese customers. And he was giving more than simple lip service, breaking down a bike's costs, line by line, using an F800GS as an example.

He also went through all the procedures (step by step) of bringing bikes into China and into the end-consumer's hands. Definitely not for the faint of heart, and completely impossible for an individual to do - you need to have a company that is licensed for vehicle imports, as well as several other licenses. One illumination for me was the two-tiered consumer tax system in China (just like Canada, pre-HST) - there is both a federal 10% tax, and a local provincial 10% tax. This explains why used bikes, if sold within the same province do not have sales tax applied, but if sold across provinces do have the receiving province's sales tax applied during registration (same as in Canada).

He then went through the homologation process & costs for each bike, both initially for a model and for the updates - scary stuff.

Bottom line - BMW makes very little (if any) profit on basic bikes. It is very unlikely that you would see a basic bike at a BMW dealer - BMW brings in heavily optioned bikes to sit in their showrooms (the options & service are where the profits are). You would need to special order a basic bike.

Lots more to tell, but will wait for the next no-bike-night in Beijing to fill people in on what I learned.

One final question I asked is ... why do I see at least 20 legal HDs on the road for every legal BMW I see? Actually, the ratio is probably much higher, IMHO, but I didn't want to be too rude. Anyways, according to him, it is all about the "sound" in the Chinese psyche - the HD sound is cool. It announces to the people on the street that you are cool, so that they can watch you ride by. He, himself, owns a several HDs (more than he owns BMWs).

Oh, the BMW G650GS is 105,500 (without ABS) and 125,500 (with ABS) ... Beijing price. The F800GS is 205,500. The top end K1600GTL is 419,500.

Apologies for the long post, but hope it helps any interested parties.

3. #43 Re: BMW 2013 Prices (in China) 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hey LJH, the two special prcies you refer too (2013 F700GS and R1200GS) were the import taxes and duties added to that, or is that the landed price? Meaning if one went and ordered say the F700GS tomorrow, and 4 months later it finally arrives and gets through customs etc. Would the purchase price be the 120K handed to the official BMW Motorrad dealer plus the applicable consumption & luxury tax? Just curious... ;)

And what is it that you were planning to share at the no bike night there in BJ? PM if more appropriate :D

4. #44 Re: BMW 2013 Prices (in China) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hey LJH, the two special prcies you refer too (2013 F700GS and R1200GS) were the import taxes and duties added to that, or is that the landed price? Meaning if one went and ordered say the F700GS tomorrow, and 4 months later it finally arrives and gets through customs etc. Would the purchase price be the 120K handed to the official BMW Motorrad dealer plus the applicable consumption & luxury tax? Just curious... ;)
    The 120K for the F700GS is the retail price, including Federal Tax (and everything else), but not the Provincial Tax (10%). The provincial tax is applied to the net selling price (120K retail price minus the embedded federal tax), so it is an effective tax rate of approximately 8.9% on retail.

Therefore, to get one out-the-door (in Beijing) you would pay 120K plus 8.9% = 120K *1.089 = 130,680 rmb. Seems not too bad, relatively speaking.

In addition, there would be plates & insurance.

And what is it that you were planning to share at the no bike night there in BJ? PM if more appropriate :D
    I was going to provide more detail on how importations & bike pricing works in China, according to this BMW guy. He showed me that several of my beliefs about importation & pricing were patently wrong.

However, if the planets align themselves this weekend, I just might be riding an Italian masterpiece by next Wednesday. I was going to pull the trigger on a Beemer, but my past (mostly negative) experiences with BMWs back home are still rattling around in my head. I have had really bad luck with that brand, including their cars.

5. #45 Re: BMW 2013 Prices (in China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    BMWF8GS-ADV as special GS 30th. anniversary colour combo and Nuda 900 engine (more power and very distinctive sound) and BMW can have my deposit any day.
    BMWF8GS-ADV (regular), did a bit of checking, calling around and looks like the only way to get one is via the well-known parallel bike importers.... 'nuff said.

Well, said it before and saying it again, the JL600's are great bikes as solo / sidecar as long you get the newest version with the improved ECU.
    Taking a look at some of the pictures here I couldn't help but notice the uncanny resemblance the F800GSA has to another ride we have seen here on MCM Shineray X5 OK so it's not exactly the same, but the front beak does make the resemblance all the more striking IMHO.

6. #46 Re: BMW 2013 Prices (in China) 
    F800GSAdv.jpg

BMW unveils mid-sized 2014 F800GS Adventure

Date: May 6, 2013

WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J. - BMW Motorrad has announced a new version of the sportiest member of its GS family: the 2014 F800GS Adventure, marking the company’s first midsize Adventure model.

The F800GS Adventure is powered by the liquid-cooled 798cc four-valve twin-cylinder engine featured on the F 800 GS, with electronic fuel injection, a closed-loop catalytic converter and a six-speed transmission. The engine delivers a claimed maximum power of 85 hp at 7,500 rpm, and claimed maximum torque of 61 ft.-lbs. at 5,750 rpm.

Like the F800GS, the Adventure model features tubular steel frame. The rear subframe is reinforced to accommodate a 6.3-gallon tank, which is 2.1 gallons larger than the one found on the F 800 GS, extending the motorcycle’s range by about 100 miles.

Like the F800GS, the Adventure model is equipped with ABS as standard, while further safety and performance-enhancing systems — Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA) — are available as factory-equipped options, and in the case of ASC, also as a dealer-installed special accessory.

F800GSAdv2.jpg

The F800GS Adventure is also available with Enduro mode as part of a package featuring ASC as a factory option. At the push of a button, the rider can increase the slip threshold of the ABS and ASC systems when heading off-road, for improved acceleration and braking on loose terrain.

The F800GS Adventure features new bodywork, a new bench seat, a larger windscreen and new hand protectors. Other new standard features include wide enduro footrests, an adjustable, reinforced foot brake lever, an engine protection bar and a pannier rack that also functions as a tank protection bar.

Other technical differences (the F800GS Adventure versus the F800GS):
    • Standard seat height: 35.0 inches versus 34.6 inches
    • Low seat height: 33.9 inches versus 33.5 inches
    • Low Suspension option: None versus 32.3 inches
    • DIN unladen weight: 505 lbs. versus 472 lbs.
    • Max load: 496 lbs. versus 507 lbs.
    • Dimensions: 90.7 inches by 36.4 inches by 57.1 inches versus 90.6 inches by 36.2 inches by 53.0 inches
    • Fuel consumption at 55 mph: 55 mpg versus 62 mpg

The F800GS Adventure will come in two new colors: Sandrover matt and Racing red.

Source: Dealernews

7. #47 Re: BMW 2013 Prices (in China) 
    Banned
    The first small batch of legal imported BMW GS1200 water-cooled has arrived in Shanghai and they are for sale:
    http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/...html&notrack=1
    -took one for a test spin again today, get in touch if you want one or need pricing-
    Attached Images

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345