Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: BMW 2011 Prices (in China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanjpyle View Post
    Hello,

I bought 2 BMW F800GS motorcycles last year. The prices for 2011 look about the same as the prices for 2010. Still very high and padded with tax.

I'm not sure if BMW Motorrad is looking for a manufacturing base in China, but if they did the prices on these bikes could be cut in half. That would finally be some good news.

Ryan Pyle
    www.mkride.com
    I think BMW is already manufacturing certain parts(engines) in China. Not that there planning on selling most of them in China?

2. #12 Re: BMW 2011 Prices (in China) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    If there were a market for premium motorcycles in China, BMW surely would be on top of it -- as they are with the 3 and 5 Series sedans, which are being manufactured up in Shenyang, Liaoning province. I think they may be making the X1 SUV in Shenyang too.

But there's a huge difference between some nouveau riche Chinese business tycoon (skimming public assets through shady deal with party hacks) wanting to show off to his friends by throwing his fat ass and diabetic beer belly behind the wheel of a Chinese-made BMW "import", and the emergence of a truly confident consumer class with the interest and guts to master the art of riding a fine motorcycle. Only the latter will truly awaken a market for big bikes in China, whether for off road or the open road. Yes, it's true that most of the Harleys and BMWs sold today are to newly rich tycoons who already have a bimmer and a Porsche and an ostentatious "villa" in some suburb of Beijing or Shanghai, but that market will never amount to very much. There's no greater proof than BMW itself, which has shown no interest to jump into the Chinese market with both feet; instead, they rely on hobbyist distributors. Interestingly, it's Harley-Davidson that's jumped in with both feet, even though the thousands of miles of excellent expressways to which H-Ds are best suited are for all practical purposes off limits to motorcycles. We hear stories of buyers parking their shiny hogs in their living rooms, like fancy bar fixtures...

Such is the sad state of affairs for avocational motorcycling in China.

sigh.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #13 Re: BMW 2011 Prices (in China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanjpyle View Post
    Hello,

I bought 2 BMW F800GS motorcycles last year. The prices for 2011 look about the same as the prices for 2010. Still very high and padded with tax.

I'm not sure if BMW Motorrad is looking for a manufacturing base in China, but if they did the prices on these bikes could be cut in half. That would finally be some good news.

Ryan Pyle
    www.mkride.com
    To the best of my knowledge, BMW are not having plans to establish a bike manufacturing facility in China. The bikes wouldn't be much cheaper if they would only assemble and the market isn't big enough to source locally. Also, they are well aware of the Permanent, Reckless, Cheating.
    Andy

4. #14 Re: BMW 2011 Prices (in China) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    This is something I haven't quite figured out.

There does seem to be a market for ultra-premium bikes in China, as is evidenced by the sold-out inventories within weeks of arriving, at both Harley and BMW.

Also, BMW does manufacture several components inside China, including one of its engines.

Harley has just announced that for the first time, it will have a foreign assembly plant (in India). Bike components will be sent from the USA and assembled in India.

Maybe if the BMWs and Harleys were less expensive, they would be less desirable as a status symbol (the effect of luxury pricing). BMW and Harley may very well have a marketing strategy of developing exclusivity in the Chinese market.

I'm a lifetime H.O.G. member (one of the first, actually, due to my age!) and am now registered with HOG in China. Back home in the West, I would get the annual HOG patch sent to me for free - here, I have to pay 300 rmb for it! Goodness! 300 rmb for a little 10 cm cloth patch!

But that is nothing compared to the 17,000 rmb that BMW wants for a riding jacket with a tiny BMW logo. I would have assumed that a huge BMW logo would be applied to assure that everyone knows you are rich.

Yup, it is definitely an exclusive club here. Far far far beyond what my little brain says is reasonable. I can't help thinking it may be an intentional strategy by BMW and Harley.

5. #15 Re: BMW 2011 Prices (in China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post

Harley has just announced that for the first time, it will have a foreign assembly plant (in India). Bike components will be sent from the USA and assembled in India.

Harleys. Can't stop,Can't go,Can't turn and now Can't be made in the USA. They'll have to call them Indian iron now.

6. #16 Re: BMW 2011 Prices (in China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Back home in the West, I would get the annual HOG patch sent to me for free - here, I have to pay 300 rmb for it! Goodness! 300 rmb for a little 10 cm cloth patch!
    Patch made in China by any chance?

If you look at the price of the Loncin LX650, which is using a lot of imported parts, you can see that a price reduction via China assembly will only go so far for BMW or Harley. It will most definitely help reduce the 100% luxury goods import tax, but there's still a premium to pay for all those fancy bits being imported. I also don't think these companies are able to move assembly so easily, as they face stiff opposition from their unionised labor forces. I'm sure the board of directors uses catchy phrases like "we're expanding into India" instead of "You're job is being outsourced to China".

Last I checked with the snobby elites here, they don't want luxury brands made in China, they prefer to have their American and German slave labor forces making them.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #17 Re: BMW 2011 Prices (in China) 
    Lao-Jia-Hou, you should get that avatar pic made up as a sew-on patch please. Maybe gold on red or gold on black for 'in-china' members with chinabikes, and red on black for 'out-of-china' members? I will buy one. Some bike stickers would be good as well, they could have the website address on. Might be a way to support the site costs for CC as well?
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

8. #18 Re: BMW 2011 Prices (in China) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Hear, hear! Great suggestion, Jape!

OK, I wouldn't pay 300 rmb for a dragon patch, unless it came with a decoder ring and password, but I might pay 100 RMB! (Don't forget, my other bike is a KLR650 -- the cheapskates' Dakar.)

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #19 Re: BMW 2011 Prices (in China) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Lao-Jia-Hou, you should get that avatar pic made up as a sew-on patch please. Maybe gold on red or gold on black for 'in-china' members with chinabikes, and red on black for 'out-of-china' members? I will buy one. Some bike stickers would be good as well, they could have the website address on. Might be a way to support the site costs for CC as well?
    Well, my avatar is actually just a stolen image from the Beijing Dragons MC logo/patch.

BDMCbkgrd8.jpg

These patches are available in sleeve size (about 4 inches across) and back of vest size (about 12 inches across). Coffee mugs & t-shirts are also available.

I don't own the logo or original artwork, but I do arrange the items to be produced.

Alas, you must be a member of the Beijing Dragons ... and that entails ... well ... pretty much just saying you want to be a member ... and are willing to ride around with us in Beijing. We're an open group. I think there are several members on this board: Sabine, Andy, Jim, Tim, me ... and probably lots of others.

But sure, if you want something, let me know ... I'll ask around if anyone objects (I doubt it).

We'll have a website up and running when I get off my butt. I've registered the beijingdragons.org domain, but it is taking forever to get it finished. Volunteers?

PS: I think a decoder ring is a GREAT idea! Put it up to a chinese character and presto - instant English translation. Mr. Euph ... a task fer ya!

10. #20 Re: BMW 2011 Prices (in China) 
    well please compliment the designer, i wanted one for MCM! I will follow this up.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...1180#post21180
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast