Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Stupid Driver and Some Learning Points 
    Quote Originally Posted by iw84u View Post
    not to defend her wrong doings, but you were in the right turning lane but went straight instead. if you had waited behind the cars, you would have met her. but no motorcyclist would wait behind a line of cars; me included.
    Looks like Wrangler got back in the straight ahead lane before the intersection.
    However passing the autos in the right turn lane and then going straight would be a violation in my home area. Don't know about Wrangler's area.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

2. #12 Re: Stupid Driver and Some Learning Points 
    Yeah, typical left-turners in Shanghai... Glad you escaped this one.

On the bicycle, it's always the same story. Riding in Shanghai is not fun nor relaxing, on the contrary. I'll admit to being several times guilty of putting myself on purpose in front of them because yes, it feels good to "show them". But to show them what ?
    Euphonius is exactly right, I know it too, but sometimes you're really boiling over tenths of this kind of stuff during a 1 or 2 hours ride. What will it do if I stop in front of the car and show them their stupidity ? Maybe they'll not even understand the meaning, as they're not taught the road rules... In the best case I achieve nothing, in the worst case the car will run over me...

Thanks anyway for sharing your experience Wrangler, one more thing : could you tell me what is your helmet-cam setup ? ;-))

3. #13 Re: Stupid Driver and Some Learning Points 
    Not just a Shanghai problem, happens everywhere around here, and much worse.

Actually I think Chinese drivers are geniuses. If drove with a fluffy steering wheel cover and seat covers, blacked out windows, dangling crap off my rear view mirror, the annoying sound of 400 keys clashing in the ignition, using a cell phone, smoking a cigarette, drunk, having had awful training, little experience, probably having cheated on my whole or part of my driving test and with a selfish sense of entitlement and superiority, and no clue about the road rules I think I'd crash constantly, I can't understand how they can get anywhere safely.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

4. #14 Re: Stupid Driver and Some Learning Points 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Not just a Shanghai problem, happens everywhere around here, and much worse.

Actually I think Chinese drivers are geniuses. If drove with a fluffy steering wheel cover and seat covers, blacked out windows, dangling crap off my rear view mirror, the annoying sound of 400 keys clashing in the ignition, using a cell phone, smoking a cigarette, drunk, having had awful training, little experience, probably having cheated on my whole or part of my driving test and with a selfish sense of entitlement and superiority, and no clue about the road rules I think I'd crash constantly, I can't understand how they can get anywhere safely.
    Oh, that reminded me of something : some weeks ago it was snowing in Shanghai, maybe 2-3 cm of snow everywhere for a few mornings, I just loved to see so many people driving their cars without even removing the snow on the rear window (don't know the exact name in English) and the external rear-view mirrors... Ultimate proof they're not using any of them at all... ;-))

5. #15 Re: Stupid Driver and Some Learning Points 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Not just a Shanghai problem, happens everywhere around here, and much worse ... I can't understand how they can get anywhere safely.
    So true!

I think one of the key reasons why there are not more accidents (and there DEFINITELY should be) is that Chinese drivers appear to (correctly) assume that the idiot in front of them will do something incredibly stupid.

In the West, we assume that other drivers are somewhat skilled and will follow the rules. If someone does something stupid in the West, it will likely result in an accident.

In China, stupid driving is the norm, so drivers adjust for it. Defensive driving out of necessity.

I spent a few years in Beirut, Lebanon, and IMHO there is nowhere in the world where drivers are more insane (although I've heard that Saudi is even worse). Chinese drivers are stars compared to the Lebanese. I was told that the reason for insane Lebanese drivers is because during their lengthy civil war, it was literally a life/death situation of keeping your car moving. A stopped car was a sniper's target. Today, the practice continues, and cars frequently mount the sidewalk, completely ignore traffic lights, drive on the wrong side, and so on ... to a level that makes China look downright civilized.

6. #16 Re: Stupid Driver and Some Learning Points 
    That one was pretty close. Some rules I followed whilst in wonderland...

1) I am invisible
    2) All lights are green
    3) Mass makes right
    4) All intersections have a 15kph limit
    5) Rain is not water, but diesel drizzle

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

7. #17 Re: Stupid Driver and Some Learning Points 
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    That one was pretty close. Some rules I followed whilst in wonderland...

1) I am invisible
    2) All lights are green
    3) Mass makes right
    4) All intersections have a 15kph limit
    5) Rain is not water, but diesel drizzle

CC
    CC,
    Those are good rules for everywhere especially here in Southwest Floriduh.
    Might I add
    6) That left turner is going to turn in front of you. (right turner for some of you). Got me twice in 50+ years of moto riding.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

8. #18 Re: Stupid Driver and Some Learning Points 
    Fred I am using the Gopro camera for motorsports and got it on Amazon.com in the US and had someone bring it over for me. It is ugly and people stare at me but they tend to be on better behavior when they do see me and the blinking LED. It's mounted on my helmet. Show's the least vibration, offers the best view, and can turn with my line of sight. Plus I won't accidently forget it on my bike.

iw84U, you do have a point about me cutting in from the right. I do find, however, it is generally safer to be ahead of the traffic than behind it. But it got me thinking on how to use traffic more as defensive barriers

9. #19 Re: Stupid Driver and Some Learning Points 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    ryanpyle of mkride.com posted a passel of gopros and contour HDs that he and his brother used during their ride. he may have a couple left...

i have a contour and it's way sleeker than the gopro. both work fine.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12