Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: battery tenders & chargers 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Ah FFS! Now I don't know if you are taking the P or not! which probably serves me right for always being a smartarse ...
    I cannot see anything pictorial in Lao Jia Huo's last post, number 32, ( I can see the lass in yours as I answered about that.)
    Didn't mean to bust your chops! Point your linux box to Lao Jia Huo's pretty in pink post. Would indeed be regrettable if you missed that post!

linux on a netbook, why? just check the rom and cpu, root it using instructions from http://androidforums.com/ and go Android 2.2, it is a sort of Linux and does all you would want
    Actually, what I want is "anything but windows" on the netbook. I spent so many years having to learn arch tricks to keep a wintel rig running, i felt like pavlov's dog. imagine if you had to work that hard to run your microwave or car or air conditioner. then again, i get the feeling that linux is not unlike windows in that it requires a lot of mental and technical overhead to use. if linux were fun and easy, i could see loading it up on this otherwise useless netbook and giving it a spin. if android is available for this, or google chrome OS (or are these the same?), I'd be game for that too. Just don't want to spend to much time mastering an OS just for the sake of mastering an OS. I'd rather reread Ulysses.

My little never-been-used Samsung is the N128, with Intel's atop cpu.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #42 Re: battery tenders & chargers 
    thanks for letting me off the hook, i could indeed see them there but had missed them before despite i try not to miss much, had thought you meant here.

Will look up that cpu etc with my tech hat on tomorrow, had enough of computers for today. Spent an hour or 2 trying to get a simple 'mouse-over' dictionary set up in a text editor and finally failed (although I got it to work in chinese). i am writing memoirs and stuff while i cannot walk well. Bored quite shitless as they say. Changed the engine oil on the bike, will endeavour to do a lap of the local lanes as it turns to dusk (the cops are on shift change then), just for the fresh air and so i don't shoot myself or the bloody cat or throw the computer at the TV or vice versa.

Linux is not user friendly enough yet in any version if you don't want to have to think and learn a lot. Sorry to all the afficionados but it is true. i use it because I am reasonably techniwhatever and I finally grew to despise wintel after many years sorting it out constantly and getting it to work as I wished, still too bloody insecure though, but I hated it just as it got good, too late for me.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

3. #43 Re: battery tenders & chargers 
    Go Linux! Express your individuality just like so many thousands of others
    Jape this forum would not be same without you...

4. #44 Re: battery tenders & chargers 
    It has been suggested that without me it might thrive ... but I cannot leave, I love it (and you lot) almost as much as I love the sound of my own voice and appreciate my own smart-arse remarks.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

5. #45 Re: battery tenders & chargers 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    My charger arrived and I promptly set about using this fancy-dancy defibrillator on my JH600 patient (btw, I'm a paper-doc, not the MD variety, but hey - TIC - so I'll happily perform surgery).

I'll get around to describing R&R'ing the JH600 battery in another post (not as straight forward as one assumes, and I wish someone had covered the topic to prevent the numerous vernaculars I used getting it in/out).

The battery was totally brain dead ... but the charger worked its magic and brought it back to life. (I wonder if batteries see the long tunnel with a bright light at the end?)

As a sidenote, my sweety just redid our kitchen in stainless - including stainless countertops. Note to self (and others) - do NOT recharge a battery on stainless countertops, as tiny droplets of battery acid pop out of the cells and create little black dots on brand new stainless countertops - this most certainly will be followed by our sweeties teaching us several new Chinese vernaculars, in a somewhat raised voice.

Took about 12 hours to fully recharge - seems good as new.

I then recharged the XTR's tiny battery (almost wrist watch sized) in a mere 2 hours, but it was only in a coma, not completely dead. BTW, the XTR has the dumbest seat removal system I've ever seen.

Thanks again Mr Euph - I can always count on ya! Here's a pink treat, California-style ... as you may be a little homesick ...

pink harley.jpg

If you can't read it ... the script says "Hollywood" and I think those are Baywatch people (although, as a real biker, I've never watched the series)

6. #46 Re: battery tenders & chargers 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    BTW, the XTR has the dumbest seat removal system I've ever seen.

Please explain. Can you show us the underside of the seat, mounting points.

7. #47 Re: battery tenders & chargers 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Thanks again Mr Euph - I can always count on ya! Here's a pink treat, California-style ... as you may be a little homesick ...

pink harley.jpg

If you can't read it ... the script says "Hollywood" and I think those are Baywatch people (although, as a real biker, I've never watched the series)
    Nice! My guess would have been the San Francisco North Bay chapter of Dykes on Bykes...

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #48 Re: battery tenders & chargers 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    Please explain. Can you show us the underside of the seat, mounting points.
    A request for seat mounting points....bored are we?

Here's how you remove the seat.

But seriously, this is where it mounts.

Which has this hollow screw assembly that runs through the black plastic section, then through the rear fender and then through the frame. The assembly is made from a rare blend of Chinese aluminum that is one part aluminum and one part cow butter. You will basically cross and strip the threads by looking at it or mentioning it by name. Don't ever remove it, it's not necessary to get the seat off, only to remove the rear fender.

Another screw runs through this assembly and actually holds the seat on. It looks like it should be simple, but you can't see it when you put the seat on, so it's easy to cross thread.

The further you thread the screw in, the further it pokes up your ass, which is why I added an extra long bolt to Felix's bike when I put it back together. Once you do it about 26 times, it's a piece of cake. Another thoughtful piece of engineering is the plastic seat pan sitting directly on the aluminum frame rails, thus making sure all motor vibration is directly transferred to you colon.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #49 Re: battery tenders & chargers 
    Give me some more ideas what you want to use the Samsung for please Euphonius. The Android netbook mods I thought of for Atom are not ready yet, been delayed, and the existing Android stuff is mainly touchscreen based so irrelevant. But you can try the Chromium (a bit different to but associated with Chrome) O/S, or small Linux distro like Meego.

I think you may get problems with some hardware, that has been my continuous (continuing, continual?) problem with Linux and why i use Ubuntu. Ubuntu is bloated compared to many Linux distros but that is partly because it has more compatibility out of the box or rather 'off the disc'.

Ubuntu Netbook Remix may in fact be the best test bed. You won't be relying on the Samsung so you can take risks, whereas my continuing problem has been keeping net connections after i try different flavours. You need the 'net to get the answers to problems about the 'net, so often! So I dual booted for months, playing wiht Linux in the way we used to with Windows. Netbooks don't have dvd players usually so you will also have to explore using a USB thumb drive to load (or try) any O/S.

i have had problems with booting netbooks from any USB port with an external DVD drive, some ports work, some don't, some drives work, some don't, but I am sure your relatively modern netbook boot system will allow for a change to 'boot from USB flash drive' or similar.

Finally I got i (they got it) stable. Now I am just Ubuntu and looking at the next essay being into hardware rather than software. Might get a tablet computer and try and merge all the functions I need, including phone and GPS.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

10. #50 Re: battery tenders & chargers 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Actually, what I want is "anything but windows" on the netbook.
    My little never-been-used Samsung is the N128, with Intel's atop cpu.
    How about OSX? A couple hours on a rainy afternoon and you could probably get it running.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast