Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Becoming road legal in Shanghai 
    Just a quick request for info regarding the legal use of scooters and small motorbikes in Shanghai. I'm from the UK, hold a UK driving license, but no motorbike license. Is it possible for me to take a motorbike test here in Shanghai? How do i find an English speaking instructor, and what's the testing process to become road legal in China, without already having a license from my home country?
    I've been riding a 150cc scooter in Shanghai for over a year now, but as of last week i can no longer get petrol as my bike wasn't made in Shanghai.

I'm thinking it's about time i became legal and buy a 'real' bike. Please advise.

2. #2 Re: Becoming road legal in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Guru
    This is ZMC88's post on the topic: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...rcycle-License. A simple search on the board will provide you with many more. The central office in Shanghai for taking your written test has moved since the summer but all the other information should be good. You should be advised that getting a street legal bike in Shanghai is very expensive right now, with A plates moving north of 45000 RMB (last I heard was 50000). As for getting a motorcycle license with your standing UK auto license, you will have to pass a practical test (roadsigns, etc.) and a driving test here in Shanghai. Good luck!

3. #3 Re: Becoming road legal in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Here's another useful post, if I may be so bold.

welcome to the forum.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: Becoming road legal in Shanghai 
    Excellent. Thanks for that. After scrolling through these threads i've found a wealth of info. I've also found a usefull link regarding getting a motorbike license in Shanghai from scratch. I don't know how correct the info is but itseems pretty valid to me. Check it out.
    http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog...-from-scratch/
    I'm heading out to a testing centre in Xinzhuang (all the way out on Metro Line 1) where apparantly they have English speaking instructors. I've been told i need to bring my passport, residents permit, housing contract, and work contract, and i'll also need to have a medical check to complete my application. The whole process for an E license (which enables me to drive anything on 2 wheels) should cost around 750rmb, which seems fairly inexpensive. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it all went. Wish me luck.

5. #5 Re: Becoming road legal in Shanghai 
    Nuhaus, euphonius. thanks. those posts are fantastic, they've certainly given me plenty to think about and plan for. I'm just happy to know that their are other likeminded expats in China who are willing to go through this difficult process, and share their experiences for the beefit of others. I've been looking for information for a while now, and i've learned more through you guys than i have in weeks of dialogue with the local authorties.

6. #6 Re: Becoming road legal in Shanghai 
    So i passed the theory examination last week. The English theory test is now only 50 questions. I scored 94% They told me i now have to wait 3 weeks for the instructor to contact me to start taking lessons on the bike. I'm astounded the bikes used to learn on are only scooters. No gears. Not the best preparation for life on 2 wheels.

Here is the bank of 800 questions for the motorbike theory exam. (kindly posted by another member) http://www.shjtaq.com/db_update/dzjc/more/English.rar

This is the weblink to take the practice theory exam. (this exam has 100 q's not 50) http://www.gstxc.cn/kaoshi/cn/beginexam.asp

Most of the traffic signs should be fairly familiar if you've taken the test in your home countries (altough there are a few characters to memorize) so i'd suggest focusing on the laws and regs and police signals.

Here are the questions i think i could've got wrong.

When there is no speed limit sign or marking, the maximum speed for motorized vehicles on an urban road without the central dividing line is ________.
    A. 30km
    B. 40km
    C. 50km
    D. 70km
    Answer: A

After a motorized vehicle driver has accumulated 12 penalty points within one scoring cycle and has received education, the vehicle management station should ______ within 20 days.
    A. Conduct subject 1 test for him
    B. Impose a fine and revoke his driving license
    C. Conduct subject 2 test
    D. Conduct subject 3 test
    Answer: A

1.1.1.5 If _______, a motorized vehicle does not need the relevant registration.

A. The ownership has changed
    B. It is used as a mortgage
    C. It is under overhaul
    D. It has been written off
    Answer: C

Last edited by jape; 03-15-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: black on dark grey, not easy to read!

7. #7 Re: Becoming road legal in Shanghai 
    Congrats, Dewsnap. You'll be on the road in no time now!

Thanks also for posting these questions, which, if nothing else, give future test takers some sense of how they won't be able to rely on LOGIC or their previous experience in other countries for passing this exam. Driving in China has its own unique (il)logic.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

8. #8 Re: Becoming road legal in Shanghai 
    I had the first practical (road) lesson here in Shanghai today.

The practice track is fairly simple. In and out of some vertical posts staying inside the guide lines. There are also some narrow wooden beams that you have to ride over without putting your foot down or falling off the beam. That's a little tricky at first but i was ok after a few attempts.

There were about 15 guys there today varying in skill levels. A couple of guys came off and another guy somehow popped a wheelie and crashed into another bike. Comical. Some dudes were skiding and flying aroud the track which is a bit nerve racking for the newbies like myself.
    A couple of guys looked really good, i reckon i was probably mid-table regarding skill level.

3 guys actually had the cheek to turn up to the riding lesson on their motorbikes. Can you believe that? What a blatant disregard for road laws. Anyhow, i'm happy with my first lesson. The bikes have gears but are clutchless, little 110cc cubs. A bit jerky in 1st and 2nd gear or possibly that was just me.

We have another training session then a test around the posts. The first test is on April 1st. (Don't really know what i think about that). Then a third lesson and a final test over the beams. If i pass all the tests, i'll have my license by April 15th.

Here are few pics...
    DSC00425.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

This is the bike one of the guys turned up on. I think it was a Zhongshan 150. Nice bike, even the test instructor was riding around on it.
    DSC00428.jpg

9. #9 Re: Becoming road legal in Shanghai 
    Nice progress report, Dewsnap. That is a nice looking Zongshen 150, which is already plated. Did you notice whether he has an A or C plate? And if it was a C, were you inside the inner ring or outside? In other words, even though he was not legal to ride, was the bike legal to be there?

The course looks to be in better repair than the Beijing center we saw a few weeks ago. Is there a hill section where you have to stop and restart while on an incline?

And how do those clutchless gear changes work?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #10 Re: Becoming road legal in Shanghai 
    The guy on the Zhonghen had the yellow C plate. We were out in the Hongqiao area so the bike was legally allowed to be there with that plate.

Strange set up with the gears. The bikes did once have clutches but they've been changed so there's no clutch lever, you just change gear with your foot as usual.
    Also, i'm used to bikes being one gear down and then 4 up, but these were all down, then you get back to neutral...

...They were fairly easy to ride though, you could set off from a stand still in 2nd gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast