Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hey SamM, 'culcune' here.

culcune,
    Welcome! Glad you found us!

Carl,
    She's almost done. For some reason it doesn't want to start. I put a new NGK Iridium plug in it tonight and still nothing. As soon as I get it started, I'll post pictures. It's basically done except fot that. I need to make a couple of turnsignal bracket for the front. That's it.

SamM
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650E8F
    2006 QLink X-Ranger 200

3. #13 Almost finished, but not quite! 
    Well, I've had a slight carb issue with the bike. I wouldn't start because the vaccuum fuel vlave failed. I removed the guts from it and she works fine now. Now, it seems as if the carb float is stuck or my KLX Needle is not sealing in the nipple and letting fuel pass into the cylinder and exhaust. he bike hydrolocked on Thursday. Should have the carb sorted this week. It's turned out very nice and I hope to be riding sometime this week.

The bike is turning into a proper looking Adventure bike now. These little bothersome issues are starting to cut into my riding time and it's getting old. I am involved in the planning of a Ride For Life (Relay For Life Cancer fundraising event) next weekend. The bike must be running by Saturday, May 10th. A buddy is going to help me early this week. If we don't get her going, it goes to a local shop on Wednesday and they will sort the carb and the jetting.

The bike uses many Moose Racing parts. From the footpegs to the handlebars, and the shifter to the aircleaner. I like the Moose Racing stuff. :drool: Can't wait to ride it!

Here are a few pictures for you Carl!

SamM

The modded fuel valve. New bolts are on the way! basically, I made a new backplate for it and removed the vaccuum operating part of the valve.

New LED turnsignals. Made new brackets for the fairing to mount the fronts on.

2008 Kawasaki KLR650E8F
    2006 QLink X-Ranger 200

A few more!

2008 Kawasaki KLR650E8F
    2006 QLink X-Ranger 200

looking good Sam. We haven't seen you in a while. Stop by more often!

Sam,

That's a nice looking bike. I was thinking about smelling one up after I get back to the US for long distance two-up touring.

Sucks to hear about the carb problem but damned if t hose things are a total mystery. :cursing:

Also, if you haven't seen it already, another ZongShen owner popped up here with a bike like yours and he tricked it out. He sez' 7500kms and no problems! Max-damage is the dude...from Croatia.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Going from an Austrian built KTM 950 Adventure S to a Kawasaki KLR650 is a bit of a change and somewhat of a culture shock for me. I've been riding V-twins for quite awhile now! Some of the cheaper parts on the 650 had to go. I knew I would not be happy with the look or the feel of some of it. I think the bike has come a long way and looks great. Better than I had hoped really. The tires and wheels are a huge improvement just in looks alone. I'm sure they'll be much better than the stockers in the handling dept too!

I've seen MaxDamage's bike and I believe we have even conversed a little on another board. He wanted some of my parts. Shipping would have been too expensive. I may give the Zongshen to my daughter for her 14th birthday. We'll have to see! She likes it and it fits her nicely! I have a few months to sort it too.

I've been busy with planning a Ride For Life for next weekend and trying to finish this bike. We have also been working on a good buddy's Ducati. Broke into his barn yesterday and took the rear wheel off to have a new Metzler mounted Monday morning. He's in North Carolina vistiting relatives. He had a clutch problem which one of the guys fixed yesterday. He'll be happy with it and it will be ready for our ride next weekend.

I'd love to be here more, just really busy right now! Building bikes, building houses, trying to keep the wife happy and working 12hr shifts! I've got a full plate.

SamM
    Last edited by SamM; 05-04-2008 at 04:29 PM.
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650E8F
    2006 QLink X-Ranger 200

looking good sam can't wait to go ridin

pumpkin,
    Well, I'm ready! Fixed the bike this evening. Tomorrow, I'm going into town, to finally pay the taxes and tranfer the plates. I should have it at work on Wednesday. She sounds and runs great! The first oil change will also be done tomorrow. She's getting 10W-40 Castrol GTX and a new filter. All my parts came in and I couldn't be happier with it. Kurt and I helped get Rob's Ducati finished earlier today. New clutch mastercylinder, bled and rear tire. Then we started on mine. It was an easy fix! Rob came up later and helped us finish up bleeding the brakes too. I'm finishing up a few things tomorrow (front turnsignals) and she's done!

SamM
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650E8F
    2006 QLink X-Ranger 200

Lookin good SamM'r. Get out there and ge some action shots

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast