Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Guangzhou Ta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Guangzhou Ta 
    I just watched a documentary on this tower being designed and built ... woooo! I found out I can get vertigo from images on a large screen TV. An amazing country China, we go on about poor quality in many of our motorbikes yet the Chinese can go into space and also successfully build such designs as this.

One thing it shows for me is that co-operation internationally (not just theft of designs) leads to superb creations. I hope this will be the future my children grow to see and enjoy instead of the image some politicians still put forward of hordes of Chinese invading the rest of the world ...

My thinking is that ALL human endeavour is built on previous experience, and except when the Romans burnt libraries and razed cities and societies to dust or when plagues swept half the world or volcanic ash caused century long weather changes, our history as a human race is an amalgam and blend of art and science with cross-cultural exchange being a major catalyst. This balances to a small extent the wickedness of war and the destruction that brings. Rigid ownership of ideas should not in the end be justified except that it allows the short-term gathering and control of resources toward an end. Market forces, yes, aspiration also.

In this case, millions of tons of steel and concrete shape a true wonder. It could be said that the same resources would have built many dams for water, levy banks against flood, proofing against earthquakes and so on for the general populace, however such a tower also aids in keeping information flowing at all times including disasters.

The Chinese Universities did the engineering modelling against cyclones and earthquakes, well they have to live with it after all. If they can do that, one day maybe our little china-bikes will also evolve! I wish I had another lifetime to live in to watch all this unfolding - if the wars already going don't spread and wipe us all out, if food and resources are somehow kept available for our populations, this century will be a wonder to experience as the globe becomes one living entity.
    年年有餘
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

2. #2 Re: Guangzhou Ta 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I've been in China far longer than I care to admit, but I've never heard of this Guangzhou Tower.

Links?

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Guangzhou Ta 
    hey guys, this thing is a really cool building and is lit up with awesome lights at night..my gf lives in Guangzhuo so i got to see it before the opening ceromony for the asian games a few months ago.. any city with a big river running through it is ok in my book lots of cool bars and places to eat nearby.. the chinese name for the TV tower is "the girls Waist" good job they didn't build it in england.. it would have muffin tops hahaIMG_0412 (Custom).jpgIMG_0415 (Custom).jpgIMG_0419 (Custom).jpg

4. #4 Re: Guangzhou Ta 
    C-Moto Guru
    I was in Guangzhou, Macau and Wuzhou during the CNY. I saw this thing from a distance, didn't impress me. Same as SH just a different shape, been there done that is what I thought!

5. #5 Re: Guangzhou Ta 
    Philistine! You missed my point. Not to worry, all opinions welcomed.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #6 Re: Guangzhou Ta 
    Jape, what was the doc you saw and is there anyplace to see it online?

Speaking of marvels of construction, did anyone click on this item in gizmag? (Mainland denizens will need a proxy tunnel, vpn or other grandma-flanker.)

Yes, there's a construction company in China that has actually built a 15-story hotel in 6 days. I'm not making this up.

Read details here in gizmag.

Despite lots of scary buildings and crap construction and virtually non-existent maintenance, China is getting very good at certain kinds of construction. But this approach takes a qualitative leap into another realm altogether. Are there companies elsewhere that build buildings this way? I'm no engineer, but this strikes me as pretty amazing.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #7 Re: Guangzhou Ta 

I know you can't get the youtube tags working so what I did Jeff, for this youtube clip, is cut the letter code, nothing else, from the youtube video information, selected it and clicked on advanced settings/youtube which put the correct tags round it. Here's some more:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XKc7-aBy2w

http://watchdocumentary.com/watch/me...f31f9e69c.html
    theres a torrent somewhere, meanwhile ...
    http://rapidlibrary.com/download_fil...son.part1+.rar

i can't torrent, slow wireless connection but this is it!!!

http://tracker.cztorrent.net/torrent...v-tower/103806

You are probably as good as I on finding stuff, here is what i have so far: TV series called 'megastructures', season 6 2010-11
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_Tower
    and some info, links to architects etc., may have some videos
    http://www.gztvtower.info/

Megastructures Documentary

The making of World's Tallest TV tower
    At 600m high the Guangzhou Sightseeing and TV Tower is the tallest television tower on earth and among the world's top ten tallest buildings. Tough enough to withstand typhoon, earthquake and other assaults from Mother Nature, this elegant building forced a rewrite of the rule books. A deceptively simple twist in the middle of the main 450m tower sets this super tall building in a mega class of its own and, proves a test of massive proportions for the team responsible for breathing life into the vision of Dutch architects Mark Hemel and Barbara Kuit.

Director: Jayschree Panjabi
    Duration: 1 hour
    Production Deal: Co-production with National Geographic Channels International and China Intercontinental Communications Center
    Last edited by jape; 02-11-2011 at 03:52 AM.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

8. #8 Re: Guangzhou Ta 
    Ahhh yes.. Tron land!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

9. #9 Re: Guangzhou Ta 
    Very glad that Guangzhou Tower did not melt down in flames like the CCTV Mandarin Oriental Hotel did 2 years ago. Impressive high-tech choreography, but I'd give them low marks for artistic value. Music was bombastic and awful.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #10 Re: Guangzhou Ta 
    sorry, didn't even watch it with sound enabled, just posted it while I went looking for the Megastructures documentary torrent, which so far i only found in CZ
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast