Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 250cc options in China. 
    Researching 250cc bikes in Shanghai as my first beginners bike. I know there's plenty of knowledge in this forum so i was hoping someone could shed some light.

I was looking into the Honda CBF 250cc but the dealer said only the 125cc versions are available in China. Also looked at the 250cc Regal Raptor but i've heard some bad reviews saying that it's heavy, underpowered and overpriced. (that's not a statement btw, it's a truly beautiful bike) The Honda Shadow 150cc is also appealing but it's not gonna offer anything more than my little 150cc scooter.

I'm struggling for ideas...

I saw a review of the Loncin 250cc on this forum which looks amazing but i don't know any Loncin dealers, and to be honest i've never heard of them before. Any thoughts on that bike or a close equivalent?

My dream bike would be the Kawasaki Ninja 250R, but it seems they're not readily accessible either. It looks like the Yamaha YBR 250cc is my last available option but i'm stuck on the fence on that one.

My mandarin sucks so it's hard to get any decent information from dealers, hence my begging for answers from this forum. Euphorius has already been a great help. Thanks for that.

2. #2 Re: 250cc options in China. 
    C-Moto Guru
    check here, lots of options named...http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...?2401-Now-what

3. #3 Re: 250cc options in China. 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    dear dewsnap,

Good lord, I wouldn't wish a Ninja 250 (or any sport bike) on even my worst enemy in this country. that is NOT an ideal newbie bike for you, as alluring as it might seem. You want something with a safe upright riding position, not the semi-prostrate posture of a crotch rocket. thankfully, china limits us to dual sport type bikes and low-slung cruisers like the raptor. at risk of offending our low-slung members, I'd also be loath to ride a cruiser -- raptor, harley or otherwise -- in china, since the low, laid back semi-recumbent position, as with the sport bikes, puts you at a disadvantage for seeing what's around you and responding to all the shit that local drivers will throw your way.

as you can see, qingqi features prominently in chinaV's dreams -- but also his nightmares, as they are not one of the better service providers among china's bike makers, and far inferior to the good folks at Yingang, as you'll come to understand as you read through ChinaV's thread. (edited)

I've heard there's a Qingqi dealer out on Wuzhong Lu somewhere (which is kind of your neighborhood, if you are in Xinzhuang; at least it's in Minhang). As a matter of fact, it was a guy riding a Qingqi 250 who told me when we were stopped together at a red light. here's a list I just found in baidu, and the wuzhong lu outlet is the first on the list. no idea what models they stock...

上海东洲汽车销售服务有限公司 上海市闵行区吴中路669号 021-52060678
    上海东洲铃木旗舰店 上海市中山北一路1028号 021-65426524
    上海东州大柏树店 上海市虹口区汶水东路101号 021-65160678
    上海乐嘉源摩托车销售有限公司 上海市三鲁路农机站 021-54336198
    上海罗罗摩托车销售有限公司 上海罗店镇罗升路212号 021-56864685
    上海易余摩托车销售有限公司 上海市南汇区航头镇富航路19号 021-58229625

cheers
    Last edited by euphonius; 02-12-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: 250cc options in China. 
    You're certainly not wrong. The Ninja is a truly 'wild bike' and totally not practical for the Shanghai streets. Although that Loncin 250 that's posted on this site seems to be targeting the Ninja market. I wonder if it'll take off.
    Well i've spent the day dragging the missus around the bike dealers, and i think i've narrowed down my search for the perfect 250.

We both instantly fell in love with the Regal-Raptor DD250. I was fully prepared to get the credit card out there and then, but she rightly kept me grounded. 14K for a bike of that quality is absolutely astounding, maybe i shouldn't convert everything into pounds but 1500 quid is a complete steal, and would afford very little back in the UK.
    The other bike that had us drooling was the Shineray XY 250. We're both leaning towards the Raptor, but if anybody knows anything about either bike plz send infoShineray XY250.jpgRegal-Raptor DD250.jpg

5. #5 Re: 250cc options in China. 
    I think you really need the GF to sit on them with you for a mile or two on a trial run if she is a factor as a regular passenger! Neither of those seats look very comfortable and I see so many passengers with their heads up above the rider which looks off balance too. I hate weight up high on bikes even if the passenger does get a view.

My experience with a passenger is that the old-fashioned machines have best seats, then dual-sports as long as you pay regard to the exhaust and make sure it has guards. The worst passengers tend to look around and sit up and lean the wrong way, and on a dual-sport they sort of hug you closer which helps! I took a GF once on one of those high-up pillion seats and she grabbed me round the head with her hands over my eyes ... on the dual-sport her hands go in my pockets and she falls asleep ... thought of fixing a back rest and strapping her to it but at that point we weren't getting on too well so I considered that if she disappeared off the back somewhere in the bush it wouldn't be huge problem ... Hmm, GF and luggage? I hope she is asian and typically lightweight, lol. Maybe a sidecar ... or a bike each?

Jokes aside, my last regular passenger was about ten stone (not that she admitted it) and the 200cc was fine, hardly noticed the difference except in acceleration, once it wound up it was fine with the weight. But I am not sure even a modern 250cc is really enough for a longer haul with a passenger if you have any highway riding to do, so the JH600 might be worth a second, closer look. Have you looked at the posts by Pfaelzer, Euphonius and Milton to mention a few? I know Milton has taken his GF round the place a bit, he has posted here about it. Then again, many here take the GF on the back of the Galaxies and Qlinks so they will soon tell you how it goes.
    What sort of roads you going to travel, you say Shanghai streets but from what the lads here show us, you are very soon on gravel or other bumpy roads once you start taking day trips and you are sure to do that soon?
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #6 Re: 250cc options in China. 
    Haha. Nice.
    The missus isn't really that keen. She's an outdoors enthusiast and i somehow managed to sell the bike by suggesting camping trips on the weekends.
    She just thinks the bike is pretty. I'll use the bike for weekend trips out to the country and the like.

7. #7 Re: 250cc options in China. 
    Stumbled across this thread about the Regal Raptor DD250G. Useful chat. I'm thinking of buying it after reading this.
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ighlight=DD250

Here is also the Loncin 250 review i found on this site.
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ght=loncin+250

8. #8 Re: 250cc options in China. 
    C-Moto Senior
    If this is truly your first bike I would get some old used bike to screw around on first.

Also, Jape makes a good point, neither of these bikes seem suited to traveling very far two up.

Regardless, I would suggest you try and log at least 100Km before you put anyone on the back. Passengers tend to forget that balance and leaning is what steers a motorcycle even if you tell them. A passenger will lean to get a view or try and lean against the corner because of they feel like they will fall off if they don't. The combination of a pilot and passenger without much experience is asking for a tumble/scrape situation.

When you do get a passenger, I've always found it helpful to tell them to always sit straight and try not to lean at all, I tell them to act like they are luggage and just strapped to the seat. When I've traveled much AS a passenger, I got used to leaning with the pilot (my dad) and this helped with maneuvering and also helped me learn how to steer a bike. After a while you could tell her to just keep her torso behind yours.

Also, even if you were just going day hiking, you would want someplace to strap at least one backpack. Of course she could just wear the backpack, but again Jape makes a good point that this (and the higher position of the passenger on these bikes) would put your weight higher and make it harder to push the bike around easily. I would at least look into getting some kind of saddle bags, hard or soft, for whichever you decide on as those would keep your center of gravity as low as possible.

And also twice, both of those bikes look sweet. Either would suite your needs even if your packing was not ideal, they have the basic qualities I think you would need.

9. #9 Re: 250cc options in China. 
    I agree with what has been written. Pay attention to the passenger seat and position. For some coolness factor these modern naked bikes are designed like sports bikes, often with totally suxor passenger seat. If you love your girl you don't want to buy that kind of bike.

10. #10 Re: 250cc options in China. 
    Quick update. 250 bikes i've found so far.
    Not sure which bikes can be registered in China. The YBR, and Raptor definitely can tho.

Yamaha YBR 250 http://www.yamaha-motor.com.cn/mc/o2...250/index.html
    Regal Raptor DD250G-N/NAC25 http://www.regal-raptor.com/eng/prod...asp?id=3&bid=2
    Yingang YG250NF http://www.yingangmotor.com/product/...pe=8&infoid=53
    QingQi QM250-2D http://www.qingqi.com.cn/en/product_show.aspx?id=128

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast