Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Hi from UK - CCM230 / LX250 Owner ! 
    Sounds like you know what you are doing! make sure you come back with pics sometime, I would love to see some pics of the English country side from a 'bike, if there is any left.

I spent a few teenage years in Woburn area so also covered many of those lanes, on a 125 bantam stripped of everything unnecessary as every bit of manouverability and weight loss helped because it was designed to carry me, a folding shotgun and as many pheasants as I could stash in a rucksack tied behind me and then get away fast! The game-wardens only had Morris Minors so round the lanes i could always get away easily. they didn't manufacture bikes like yours back in those days else I would have had one

Even did Silverstone and some of the M1 in a GT40 owned by a mates father but thats another world.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

2. #12 Re: Hi from UK - CCM230 / LX250 Owner ! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    ...a 125 bantam stripped of everything unnecessary as every bit of manouverability and weight loss helped because it was designed to carry me, a folding shotgun and as many pheasants as I could stash in a rucksack tied behind me...
    Jape, that's an image of you that I'll cherish forever.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #13 Re: Hi from UK - CCM230 / LX250 Owner ! 
    Thanks Jeff, I try to amuse ... in fact it was a 'game', a serious one however because the game-keepers shot at the lower body mass if in range and we knew them and they knew us. The Duke of Bedford didn't - which was what counted, one cannot steal from a man one has met after all. I did meet him later, socially, after I became acquainted and visited with his daughter, Tania, at the big house. Decent chap, thought he was the gardener at first in his ratty old tweeds with elbow patches. Nice place Woburn Abbey. We held a rock festival there as well.

Anyway, back to the story, that little beezer in street rig with a few minor pieces such as mudguards and seat taken off, would zip across (unplowed) fields and through the trees as if made for it. The unwritten (but fairly abided by) rule was that once we got to the back-door of the local hostelry, the Woburn Arms, we could sell our 'game' and would join the same keepers for a pint or two and a game of darts. They were not averse to puncturing the tyres and scratching the paint but for some reason they never worked out that they should block off the roads to the pub! Perhaps other villains with bigger 'sport' in mind would have objected. Grand days.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

4. #14 Re: Hi from UK - CCM230 / LX250 Owner ! 
    Kind of a Robin Hood moment, on two wheels. Thanks for sharing!
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #15 Re: Hi from UK - CCM230 / LX250 Owner ! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Sounds like you know what you are doing! make sure you come back with pics sometime, I would love to see some pics of the English country side from a 'bike, if there is any left.

I spent a few teenage years in Woburn area so also covered many of those lanes, on a 125 bantam stripped of everything unnecessary as every bit of manouverability and weight loss helped because it was designed to carry me, a folding shotgun and as many pheasants as I could stash in a rucksack tied behind me and then get away fast! The game-wardens only had Morris Minors so round the lanes i could always get away easily. they didn't manufacture bikes like yours back in those days else I would have had one

Even did Silverstone and some of the M1 in a GT40 owned by a mates father but thats another world.
    Only about 5 miles from me ! My GT40 DSC_1260.jpg when up for sale at Stoneleigh ! - not a "real" one but v nice . Some bits of countryside left but they are doing their best to get rid !!
    DSC_1355.jpgDSC_1297.jpg

This looks to be my "CCM" cxr230 http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...n-PY250-Enduro

Anyway gotta go - its stopped raining !!
    Last edited by bojer; 02-19-2011 at 03:18 PM.

6. #16 Re: Hi from UK - CCM230 / LX250 Owner ! 
    C-Moto Regular
    OK managed to get out on the bike this afternoon , was not too sure after the first ten miles - brakes were feeble , then the headlight bulb blew and it felt very undergeared ...............

came back home and changed the headlight bulb and fiited a NOS Honda XR200 16T sprocket I had been hanging onto for the last 30 years ! By this time the mist had come down and the rain had started again

Thought I'd just run up the village and see how it was - much better so carried on out to the woods !

Gearing change made it feel better and the brakes were starting to work ok - thought I'd degreased the discs or maybe they just needed to run in a bit ?

Had a good ride out saw a few deer , pheasants and hares out in the woods in the misty evening dusk and the little bike pulls quite strongly at low revs , even with my 95kg on it !

Overall I am now pleased with the bike , really was not sure at first but now think it will do what I want , should be good for the v tricky technical lanes but its no motocrosser !

7. #17 Re: Hi from UK - CCM230 / LX250 Owner ! 
    rain, mist, deer, pheasants, hares, night falling and the bike pulling well -- bliss!

congratulations!
    jkp
    Shanghai

8. #18 Re: Hi from UK - CCM230 / LX250 Owner ! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    rain, mist, deer, pheasants, hares, night falling and the bike pulling well -- bliss!
    congratulations!
    yep -suddenly it all came good ! - could have amanged without the rain though ..............

9. #19 Re: Hi from UK - CCM230 / LX250 Owner ! 
    It is a good feeling when the subconscious fear of breakage, accident and stranding dies back from Chinabike paranoia level to normal! Nothing like a good ride, long or short, and a safe return.

Well done with the work you did. If you ever get time, because you seem knowledgeable and proficient, please help out members old and new with short tutorials with pics, of things like sprocket changes as you do them. And info. such as sources is always needed not just because some are too lazy to search but because sources change and move on. It would be very much appreciated, some of us took months to pluck up courage to do what you did in an afternoon ...
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

10. #20 Re: Hi from UK - CCM230 / LX250 Owner ! 
    C-Moto Regular
    It is a good feeling when the subconscious fear of breakage, accident and stranding dies back from Chinabike paranoia level to normal! Nothing like a good ride, long or short, and a safe return.

Well done with the work you did. If you ever get time, because you seem knowledgeable and proficient, please help out members old and new with short tutorials with pics, of things like sprocket changes as you do them. And info. such as sources is always needed not just because some are too lazy to search but because sources change and move on. It would be very much appreciated, some of us took months to pluck up courage to do what you did in an afternoon ...
    Got a few more miles in today and the bike seems to have settled down and is getting better and better . Have ordered myself an o ring chain as the original seems to need adjustment everytime I ride it . Drppped the oil out last night and put some cheap 10-40 mineral oil before going out today - gearbox seems smoother already .

As far as I know all the Honda clone engines have the same gearbox output shaft sizes - some run a 420 chain and some (like the Loncin/CCM) a 520 chain . The 420 bikes can use a front sprocket from a 1980's Honda Xl125/CB125 etc whereas the 520 equipped bikes will need a 520 sprocket as fitted to the 1982+XR200 bikes .

Lots of good info on here http://www.jtsprockets.com/52+M54a708de802.0.html complete with sprocket dimensions and cross references for JT sprockets . could save some expensive trial and error ?!

Will try and write up some stuff I've done once its all "proven" - Transalp shock,EGR removal etc

And some pics once its not raining or foggy ...........
    Last edited by bojer; 02-21-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast