Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 China motorcycle lic... Please Help! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Okay, I live and work in Wuhan China. I went to get my car drive permit yesterday and everything went smooth, until I got to the counter and asked about a motorcycle license. The woman said Wuhan is no longer issuing motorcycle licenses to anyone. She even said not even a Chinese can get one.

So, then I thought about going to another city to get one. I was told you need to prove that you work and live in that city. Is this true?
    If that's the case should I go thru one of those companies and pay the 8000 rmb? Or do I just ride and take the risk? I was planing no buying a bike this weekend, A cheap one cause if they take it, its wont be such a loss.

The shop said they will plate it and I will have insurance on it, but no motorcycle permit. I'm told by many that if they stop me just act stupid and say I dont speak Chinese. They will tell me to go.

Please help!

Anyone know of a company that will get me a lic? Any ideas?

Can I go to another city?

Thanks in advance

2. #2 Re: China motorcycle lic... Please Help! 
    C-Moto Senior
    Sure, give me your 8,000, I will give you a licence (not)

Gra.

3. #3 Re: China motorcycle lic... Please Help! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Yes, if you are attempting to get a driver license in another city then you have to at least have a rental agreement with a landlord so that you can then register with the local PSB and get the entry residence slip, same like you have for living where you do now in Wuhan. If you can find some place else close by to Wuhan where you could temporarily "rent" a place that does issue motorcycle license then it would make sense to have the entire license issued there, rather than doing the car license in Wuhan, then the motorcycle license elsewhere. That in itself might cause more problems, who knows TIC after-all. Perhaps you could find someone sympathetic that could help... and for sure for 8K you can get anyone to help get you a license, but whether it is legal or not... who knows... TIC.

4. #4 Re: China motorcycle lic... Please Help! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Are there no districts anywhere in Wuhan, particularly the suburbs, where motorcycles are tolerated/allowed? That's where I'd start looking. Just start asking guys riding motorbikes what districts are still licensing bikes and riders...

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: China motorcycle lic... Please Help! 
    I've heard you can get "licenses" I've heard you get them in Hong Kong or Shenzhen but that's all I know.. Dont' ride without a license.. You can be locked up for up to 6 months. Also your insurance is voided if you do not have a license.
    I don't know why these people at the city level ban motorcycles. They are missing the burgeoning rise in leisure bikers and the more they make local rules against them the more will the illegal bikers become.
    Many man cities are doing this now. It's crazy. But. Hey!! You can ride in Beijing and Shanghai!!!

6. #6 Re: China motorcycle lic... Please Help! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsims View Post
    I've heard you can get "licenses" I've heard you get them in Hong Kong or Shenzhen but that's all I know..
    There are underground "agents" in Beijing that charge around 2,000 rmb for a motorcycle driving license. They somehow get it done in other cities. Perfectly legit DL, but not a legitimate process. That's all I will admit to knowing. I did mine legally, but I have heard about these other situations.

Dont' ride without a license.. You can be locked up for up to 6 months. Also your insurance is voided if you do not have a license.
    Yes, you are correct - don't ride without a license. But I think the penalty is 15 days, although I'm not really sure if it can be raised. More likely, if they want to become nasty - you'll simply be deported. And yup, your insurance is void - same as back home.

I don't know why these people at the city level ban motorcycles. They are missing the burgeoning rise in leisure bikers and the more they make local rules against them the more will the illegal bikers become.
    Many man cities are doing this now. It's crazy. But. Hey!! You can ride in Beijing and Shanghai!!!
    TIC, with Chinese logic.

Follow Euphonius' astute advice - find local riders with legal DLs, and ask how they did it. There will be some way.

7. #7 Re: China motorcycle lic... Please Help! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Follow Euphonius' astute advice - find local riders with legal DLs, and ask how they did it. There will be some way.
    Who's callin' me a stoot?? Them's fightin' words!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)