Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
  1. #101 Re: (No-)Bike Night in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear SoberPete,

I'll be in Shanghai in the latter half of next week, into the weekend and beyond, and will do whatever I can to be available during your visit. Your wife should be nominated for Excellent Motorcyclist Spouse of the Year -- she agrees to a belated honeymoon on the back of your YBR250, and then agrees to take the bus home while you continue the honeymoon solo to meet the boyz (and girlz) in Shanghai!!

cheers!
    I'm cancelling for the second time in a row so better hold off on the nomination.
    I can't do this trip until I have a wingman that's going to accompany for the whole ride and back: Zibo - SH -Zibo.
    I'm ready to do it alone but my wife can't relax unless there is someone with me the whole way. She was fine with the whole idea until she found out that I was planning the whole trip solo then she began to panic and consequently throw up the stop signs.
    At first I was frustrated and told her I was going anyway but after she realised how determined I was she made some threats stating serious consequences. Instead of getting angrier I saw it from her point of view. It would be so much better and safer with a riding buddy on their own bike. If ZMC is around during the october holiday then I'll try talking him into it. If not then I'll think of something. The weather shuld be cooler and dryer around then.

The honeymoon will proceed first thing on Tuesday morning and I'll take the lovely lady back home to Mengyin on Wednesday.

I'm still on for this ride, No matter what delays me I'm still going. I'll keep you guys updated!

2. #102 Re: (No-)Bike Night in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by soberpete View Post
    I'm cancelling for the second time in a row so better hold off on the nomination.
    I can't do this trip until I have a wingman that's going to accompany for the whole ride and back: Zibo - SH -Zibo.
    I'm ready to do it alone but my wife can't relax unless there is someone with me the whole way. She was fine with the whole idea until she found out that I was planning the whole trip solo then she began to panic and consequently throw up the stop signs.
    At first I was frustrated and told her I was going anyway but after she realised how determined I was she made some threats stating serious consequences. Instead of getting angrier I saw it from her point of view. It would be so much better and safer with a riding buddy on their own bike. If ZMC is around during the october holiday then I'll try talking him into it. If not then I'll think of something. The weather shuld be cooler and dryer around then.

The honeymoon will proceed first thing on Tuesday morning and I'll take the lovely lady back home to Mengyin on Wednesday.

I'm still on for this ride, No matter what delays me I'm still going. I'll keep you guys updated!
    Hi pete,

Sorry to hear your not going to ride just yet.
    probably for the best, and I am sure she has all your best interests at heart.

You never know, I could end up with a bike quite soon, all legal of course.

Fay and I are going to tie the not, in early September.
    That will pave the way for an easier licence application.

Until then, keep safe,

Gra.

3. #103 Re: (No-)Bike Night in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Hi pete,

Sorry to hear your not going to ride just yet.
    probably for the best, and I am sure she has all your best interests at heart.

You never know, I could end up with a bike quite soon, all legal of course.

Fay and I are going to tie the not, in early September.
    That will pave the way for an easier licence application.

Until then, keep safe,

Gra.
    All good news then! I like the sound of that Graham. Let us know how it all goes and if there's anything I can do to halp pave the way.

4. #104 Re: (No-)Bike Night in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear SoberPete,

Don't feel too bad. All you are missing is a pretty serious typhoon. Not what I'd call recommended riding weather (though I'm about to ride across town on my bicycle...)...

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #105 Re: (No-)Bike Night in Shanghai 
    Did anyone notice that day and night today were exactly the same duration? Though China thinks Spring began back in February, today is the official start in less scientific precincts of the Northern Hemisphere. In my book, that's an excuse to meet up for fun and fellowship. It's time for

(No-)Bike Night Shanghai!
    Friday 29 March
    or
    Saturday 30 March
    ***Date and venue TBD***

I've discussed this with a few Shanghai denizens and next weekend seems as good a time as any, either Friday 29 March or Saturday 30 March. Please state your preference, and feel free to nominate a venue. Good eateries about here. But if you care about quality of tipple, as I do, choices dramatically shrink, and prices rise. The worst places have high prices and crappy libations. So here are my three nominations:

Boxing Cat Sinan, on Fuxing Lu at Sinan Lu. 思南公馆 26A 单元,复兴中路 519-521号。 Six fine beers brewed on the premises are 35 rmb each at happy hour, and the kitchen is very good. Lots of sidewalk parking; I saw about 20 H-Ds parked there on Saturday. And if weather permits we can sit outside. Billiards on the third floor.

Jackie's Beer Nest, at 76 Zhaozhou Lu 卢湾区肇周路76号 just west of Xizang Nan Lu, has a dizzying selection of great beers (and single malts) from around the world, and a very good noodle and wonton house two doors away that delivers. This is the best bar you've never heard of in China. It's tiny -- smaller than your living room.

Kaiba Tap Room, 479 Wu Ding Lu Kaiba at Shaanxi Bei Lu, Jing'an District 静安区武定路479号. Kaiba also has a great selection of beers, mostly Belgians, including 20 beers on tap -- one of the biggest selections in China. Happy Hour prices are OK, and run till maybe 9. The food has improved a lot, with pizzas and sandwiches and salads, and many other neighborhood choices to call in.

Preferences? Alternative suggestions? Who's in? Preferred day?

cheers!

Last edited by euphonius; 03-21-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    jkp
    Shanghai

6. #106 Re: (No-)Bike Night in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    good to see you are keeping this going.

7. #107 Re: (No-)Bike Night in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Did anyone notice that day and night today were exactly the same duration? Though China thinks Spring began back in February, today is the official start in less scientific precincts of the Northern Hemisphere. In my book, that's an excuse to meet up for fun and fellowship. It's time for

Friday 29 March
    or
    Saturday 30 March
    ***Date and venue TBD***

I've discussed this with a few Shanghai denizens and next weekend seems as good a time as any, either Friday 29 March or Saturday 30 March. Please state your preference, and feel free to nominate a venue. Good eateries about here. But if you care about quality of tipple, as I do, choices dramatically shrink, and prices rise. The worst places have high prices and crappy libations. So here are my three nominations:

Boxing Cat Sinan, on Fuxing Lu at Sinan Lu. 思南公馆 26A 单元,复兴中路 519-521号。 Six fine beers brewed on the premises are 35 rmb each at happy hour, and the kitchen is very good. Lots of sidewalk parking; I saw about 20 H-Ds parked there on Saturday. And if weather permits we can sit outside. Billiards on the third floor.

Jackie's Beer Nest, at 76 Zhaozhou Lu 卢湾区肇周路76号 just west of Xizang Nan Lu, has a dizzying selection of great beers (and single malts) from around the world, and a very good noodle and wonton house two doors away that delivers. This is the best bar you've never heard of in China. It's tiny -- smaller than your living room.

Kaiba Tap Room, 479 Wu Ding Lu Kaiba at Shaanxi Bei Lu, Jing'an District 静安区武定路479号. Kaiba also has a great selection of beers, mostly Belgians, including 20 beers on tap -- one of the biggest selections in China. Happy Hour prices are OK, and run till maybe 9. The food has improved a lot, with pizzas and sandwiches and salads, and many other neighborhood choices to call in.

Preferences? Alternative suggestions? Who's in? Preferred day?

cheers!

Hi,

perfect idea, but unfortunately bad timing for me. I am travelling to Korea on the 29th for 10 days. Next time, I will try to make it better.

Have fun

8. #108 Re: (No-)Bike Night in Shanghai 
    Ample parking at Boxing Cat Sinan!

These guys are from the Road Hunter Shanghai club.
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #109 Re: (No-)Bike Night in Shanghai 
    Given that it's pissing rain here in Shanghai, with little but more rain in the forecast, and the fact that Saturday and Sunday are both work days for those in sync with the Chinese labor calendar so you're probably not going anywhere else anyway, the call is going out for a night of fellowship and libations. If you'll be drinking, consider leaving your motorbike at home. Hypocrite that I am, I'll be coming by bicycle.

Saturday night (tomorrow) 8 June would be great. Sunday could work too. Beyond that the forecast is looking a bit better, so MCM recommends you get your ass out on the bike and ride, rather than sitting around Shanghai drinking.

I like places with real beer choices like Boxing Cat and Kaiba and Jackie's Beer Nest. Then again, places with copious good food and Chinese swill beer as long as it's really cold could be an acceptable alternative.

That said, I'm just fucking sick of calling for (No-)Bike Nights and then having nobody respond. So I'm just going to say, tomorrow aka Saturday at 6 p.m. I'll be at Kaiba 1 at the corner of Shaanxi Bei Lu and Wuding Lu in Jing'an District. Lots of excellent beers (20 on tap!), and a few decent food choices including pizza. Plenty of other dining choices nearby.

Join me if you like. Or don't.

cheers!
    euphonius

jkp
    Shanghai

C-Moto Noob
    I'll be there. I vote for Kaiba in Jingan, because I'm a bit lazy and that is close to home.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast