Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    ChinaV, I'm confused about why Brut Google Maps is better than regular Google Maps... I mean, the regular app caches for offline access and has turn by turn navigation now, so what are we missing?

I just noticed today that Google Maps isn't loading the map tiles on my cell phone here in Beijing, even though I am on a wifi connection. (I don't have a data plan setup yet).

Does anyone have any ideas why that might be?

2. #22 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Quote Originally Posted by CantDecide View Post
    ChinaV, I'm confused about why Brut Google Maps is better than regular Google Maps... I mean, the regular app caches for offline access and has turn by turn navigation now, so what are we missing?

I just noticed today that Google Maps isn't loading the map tiles on my cell phone here in Beijing, even though I am on a wifi connection. (I don't have a data plan setup yet).

It doesn't offer turn by turn 3D navigation via vector maps in China. It just started caching after 2 years and 4 million requests.

Many things related to the internet do not function as they should here. It's difficult to troubleshoot device problems when many times it's the internet that is "broken". Try connecting through an SSH tunnel or V P N and see if they load.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #23 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    I guess I'll have to root my phone... I have OpenVPN service but I'll need a modded ROM to get OpenVPN working... I don't understand why Android doesn't come with OpenVPN support out of the box.

It looks like the renamed version of Brut Google Maps randomly crashes, which sucks, because I'm not sure I want to uninstall the original GM on my G2. On the other hand, I do have my G1 I could stick it on...

This is slightly off topic, but what do you use for Bluetooth to your helmet for the directions?

BTW, if anyone is looking for the version ChinaV is using its here, See post 2420 for the files.
    Last edited by CantDecide; 03-09-2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Added link to forum

4. #24 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    I guess I'll have to root my phone... I have OpenVPN service but I'll need a modded ROM to get OpenVPN working... I don't understand why Android doesn't come with OpenVPN support out of the box.

It looks like the renamed version of Brut Google Maps randomly crashes, which sucks, because I'm not sure I want to uninstall the original GM on my G2. On the other hand, I do have my G1 I could stick it on...

This is slightly off topic, but what do you use for Bluetooth to your helmet for the directions?

BTW, if anyone is looking for the version ChinaV is using its here, See post 2420 for the files.
    I haven't had any crashes, but also haven't put it through a full day of hard use. Newer version is here. I would like to be able to install both versions (google/brut), side by side, but I'm still working on that.

For Bluetooth, I'm using the Cardo Scala Rider TeamSet PRO. If you want Google Navigation to correctly pronounce the street names, you will need the SVOX Mandarin voice for Android.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #25 Re: Mastering Google Maps 

Prior to GM 5.0, it could not cache map data to SD card, so Brut address that, make it read SD card data first. you are also able download maps file from a regular computer for it.

Since google release version 5, ....... That fuctions are partly covered, I think that's why he stop making the mod. But navigation is not open by default, Ownhere mod main purpose for me is for navi.

You dont have to use VPN, a regular EDGE/3G/WIFI network connection should work.

TD

6. #26 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    You dont have to use VPN, a regular EDGE/3G/WIFI network connection should work.
    Yeah, with regular GM the tiles were not loading over Wifi. I just tried again before replying and it seems to be working now. Go figure.

Does GM still have the offset problem that it used to have?

I saw that BGM fixes that, which would be a big improvement. I downloaded the 5.2.0 and 5.2.1 versions of BGM, hopefully they will install on my G1, I don't know if Cyanogen 6.1 is new enough...

7. #27 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Helmet bluetooth is another good thread in the making. I also use the Cardo Scala system, which Ryan and Colin also used in their ride around China.

But just this week I found something new in Taobao, at about one-tenth the price. The Taobao ad doesn't show what brand this is, but one of the little blow-up pictures shows that it's Gigatron, so here's what it seems you get for 286 RMB:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/28...otorcycle.html
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #28 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    You don't need the second link much Jeff, further down the Taobao page it has all the same product details in English! Looks very good.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

9. #29 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I'm asking the manufacturer for a detailed product manual. if it's good i'll post it somewhere for all to read. would be amazing if you could link between riders as we do with our cardo systems.

these things cost several hundred dollars in the us. under $45 on taobao. nice.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #30 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    If its too good to be true, it usually is...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast