Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    thanks, i finally figured out that i need to use IE or firefox to use the link. It's pretty handy actually. I couldn't get the whole route to load from the kml's. I'm just thinking tho there must be another instruction that can be added to the code to correct the offset a bit. I don't really remember much from programming in school...

2. #42 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Thread bump!

With Apple preparing to boot Google maps from iOS devices (iPhone and iPad) this fall to roll out their own map systems, anyone have any thoughts about the implications for our GPS systems in China? OK, anyone using Android with Google Maps will see no change. But what about those of us using iPhone?

I hope there will be an option, whether in Apple's app store or in greater jailbreakdom, to keep Google maps on our devices.

Apple has purchased global maps from TomTom for its new system. Anyone know anything about the quality of TomTom maps in China?

I'm already totally flustered and baffled by kmls and oruxes and tracking, etc. I dread the prospect that it's all going to get even more complex.

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #43 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

With Apple preparing to boot Google maps from iOS devices (iPhone and iPad) this fall to roll out their own map systems, anyone have any thoughts about the implications for our GPS systems in China? OK, anyone using Android with Google Maps will see no change. But what about those of us using iPhone?

I hope there will be an option, whether in Apple's app store or in greater jailbreakdom, to keep Google maps on our devices.

Apple has purchased global maps from TomTom for its new system. Anyone know anything about the quality of TomTom maps in China?

I'm already totally flustered and baffled by kmls and oruxes and tracking, etc. I dread the prospect that it's all going to get even more complex.

Cheers!
    I use a lot less google maps lately in favour of Gaode for turn-by-turn navigation. Apple ditched the google's, but I don't think google ditch the iOS. But google is slow at development. Now Apple is in the game, which is good news, pressure on google.
    同志仍需努力

4. #44 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Well the good news is that Oruxmaps is much easier to use now, offline maps can be created right there on your phone. And you guys in China don't seem to have an offset issue anymore. So if you find it's time to come over from the dark side, things are looking good on the androids..

5. #45 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    Well the good news is that Oruxmaps is much easier to use now, offline maps can be created right there on your phone. And you guys in China don't seem to have an offset issue anymore. So if you find it's time to come over from the dark side, things are looking good on the androids..
    Thanks, Slabo. My Garmin is still going strong, but the maps are getting very outdated. I'm starting to think an Android device could be a good investment for GPS, if it's easy to use. Would not want to spend a lot, though. Any cheap Android models that would support an Oruxmaps setup?

Oh, and I think I owe you an email.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #46 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Thanks, Slabo. My Garmin is still going strong, but the maps are getting very outdated. I'm starting to think an Android device could be a good investment for GPS, if it's easy to use. Would not want to spend a lot, though. Any cheap Android models that would support an Oruxmaps setup?

Oh, and I think I owe you an email.

cheers!
    Garmin maps don't get updated? Which android supports Oruxmaps? well any android. But keep in mind, Oruxmaps wouldn't tell where the nearest mixian shop or gas station is. It's map browser and you can download maps to view offline, also comes with a tonn of bells and whistles to pin places and sync online... I haven't been doing much navigation lately, im in a country too small to get lost in, so I haven't been using the software lately, but they're still updating and developing it.

The Defy+ from motorolla is just perfect for us nomads 1330 rmb on ch999.. Waterproof and dustproof. the perfect thing to strap to your crashbars .. Though performance wise it's not as good as other phones on the market. And the camera is just ok.. But it's the only waterproof android I can find. Can anyone suggest something else?

7. #47 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    ...But it's the only waterproof android I can find. Can anyone suggest something else?
    Motorola Defy XT535, Samsung S5690, Sony Ericsson ST17I, NEC 909E
    Or anything with proper cover case.
    同志仍需努力

8. #48 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    I have been using GaoDe on my iPhone for some time (高德导航). You need to pay for it - around 50RMB, I think. You can download some or all of the relevant maps from their server as you need them. I have found it very accurate, and really helpful for letting you know if that next turn is a slow bend or a sharp hairpin. All menus and maps are in Chinese, which is a challenge for me so for planning routes, I tend to use googlemaps more.
    I am looking forward to seeing what Apple can do to improve things, particularly as googlemaps seems slow and sketchy here.
    One app I can recommend for iOS, though, is My Maps Editor by NextBusinessSystems. The native googlemaps app on iOS is crap, but My Maps Editor allows you to sync with your saved maps on your gmail account, even drawing new routes and putting in points as you go. I have found that the maps load faster and are saved longer than with the googlemaps app.

9. #49 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Quote Originally Posted by lobotomous View Post
    All menus and maps are in Chinese, which is a challenge for me so for planning routes, I tend to use googlemaps more.
    Finally a goade user, is your iOS system language set in Chinese? While in android version gaode can switch to English interface and maps according to system language setting.
    同志仍需努力

10. #50 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    My iOS is all in English.
    I may be wrong, but the only language setting I can find in GaoDe is simplified/traditional Chinese.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast