Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by lobotomous View Post
    I have been using GaoDe on my iPhone for some time (高德导航). You need to pay for it - around 50RMB, I think. You can download some or all of the relevant maps from their server as you need them. I have found it very accurate, and really helpful for letting you know if that next turn is a slow bend or a sharp hairpin. All menus and maps are in Chinese, which is a challenge for me so for planning routes, I tend to use googlemaps more.
    I am looking forward to seeing what Apple can do to improve things, particularly as googlemaps seems slow and sketchy here.
    One app I can recommend for iOS, though, is My Maps Editor by NextBusinessSystems. The native googlemaps app on iOS is crap, but My Maps Editor allows you to sync with your saved maps on your gmail account, even drawing new routes and putting in points as you go. I have found that the maps load faster and are saved longer than with the googlemaps app.
    This is very interesting -- I had no idea that Gaode was available in iOS. Questions:

--Does Gaode work as a GPS, always showing your current location?
    --Are you saying there is no offset? Your GPS position is accurate?
    --Do they charge different rates for various map downloads? How much? Or does the 50 RMB include all downloads?
    --How big are the map files?

Can't wait to give this a try!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #52 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Yes - I have found GaoDe to be very accurate - to the extent of helping you plan turns on blind corners.
    The maps are free once you download the app. Originally I had the whole of China and then after a recent upgrade I lost them and needed to reload. I think they give you the option, as the full map set eats memory - around 2Gb, I think.
    It has some useful features like telling you where speed cameras are and helping you find the nearest gas station. It will also give you traffic updates and colour the roads green or red accordingly.
    The only drawback I have found is that zooming out loses a lot of detail, so it becomes hard to use it to plan routes. For that reason I would take a paper map or google map as well.
    If you are using iOS, you should definitely check out My Maps Editor - way better than the built-in map app.

3. #53 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Jeff, gaode develops its functionality first for iPhone, android has always came second. I bought 2 licenses, one at first they made their android version available, the other when I upgrade my old Samsung to new one.

Strangely Android version has English. lobotomous, is your gaode up to date?

This is what you would see in android. But 1 thing I have to complain is "Avoid motorway" option is not provided. Rider be warned.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by td_ref; 06-21-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    同志仍需努力

4. #54 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Gaode sure looks like an English app when I view it in the App Store, where it's called China Navigation, though the screenshots are in Chinese.

Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 10.30.48 PM.jpg

And the price is not unreasonable at US$15, that that's almost twice the 50 rmb that lobotomous cited. I look forward to purchasing this and playing around with it.

cheers!

jkp
    Shanghai

5. #55 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Hi Euphonius, that's not the one I am using.
    This is the link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gao-d...324101974?mt=8
    The 50RMB is a limited offer, it seems. I remember paying a bit more for it.
    That China Navigation looks OK, but reviews of GaoDe look much better.

6. #56 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Quote Originally Posted by lobotomous View Post
    Hi Euphonius, that's not the one I am using.
    This is the link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gao-d...324101974?mt=8
    The 50RMB is a limited offer, it seems. I remember paying a bit more for it.
    That China Navigation looks OK, but reviews of GaoDe look much better.
    Thanks for clarifying! These seem to be related, but the one I found -- by searching for pinyin "gaode" -- gives very little detail about its provenance. Maybe a knockoff? Perish the thought!

I just purchased Auto Navi for $8. Surely a good investment!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #57 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Maybe a knockoff?
    I don't think so. "gaode" isn't used as official name, "China Navigation"??. There is brief description about the AutoNavi.

"AutoNavi Software Co., Ltd.(高德软件有限公司) (NASDAQ: AMAP) is a corporation of digital map content and navigation and location-based solutions (LBS) in China, which was founded in 2001. One of its subsidiary company Beijing Mapabc Co.,Ltd(北京图盟科技有限公司, www.mapabc.com) is a map website in China Mainland.[1]"
    -wikipedia

If carefully check google chinese map, is supplied by mapabc.com
    同志仍需努力

8. #58 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

I just purchased Auto Navi for $8. Surely a good investment!
    Let us know how you get on. It took me about a day with a dictionary to work out all the menus!

9. #59 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Maybe little bit off the topic, but do you know anything like an online route planner. I'm planning a 2 months trip maybe and I'd like to put in many places first, notes, think about it and put it in a one trip eventually? More like a sketch? Something where I can log in and work on details longer. Don't u have problems with google maps and google earth since the governmen meeting? Mine is not really working on pc without vpn. Cheers
    JH-150GY-3

10. #60 Re: Mastering Google Maps 
    Hi all. Long time no post. A quick update in case it isn't mentioned elsewhere. 高德 GaoDe now includes English Menus. They added it about 6 months ago. Makes it much easier to use.
    Filipu - this may be irrelevant as you are already on your trip, but I use an app called "My Maps" which continues to work with googlemaps and allows you to overlay your own routes and POI.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast