Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 looking for Honda Goldwing Jing A plates 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Beijing Bikers,

any one has some information about where, how and how much to get a goldwing Honda (any model) in Beijing with legal Jing A plates?

thank you for your help and see you soon on the road

Yves

2. #2 Re: looking for Honda Goldwing Jing A plates 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi Yves

Sorry, but this is 99% impossible. The 1% method is quite convoluted and extremely expensive, but it can be done if you have the right connections. You can ask the most senior Chinese people you know if they can help.

Goldwings are not sold in Beijing, with legal plates, as they do not meet the many new standards. But there are plenty of illegal wings, including quite a large club that I ride with from time to time.

By the way, for any interested readers ... a Jing A plate now runs between 12,000 and 15,000 (or 18-20K at Harley/BMW). Last September, it was 8,000 rmb. The new Beijing car plate lottery is creating a huge demand for motorcycle A plates.

Sorry Yves

Richard

3. #3 Re: looking for Honda Goldwing Jing A plates 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Richard,

thank you for your reply. I would be interested to know more about the 1% chance to make it possible ;)

and also to meet your biker club riding Goldwing. They might be able to advice me on which model to choose and for how much.

Thansk again,

friendly
    Yves

4. #4 Re: looking for Honda Goldwing Jing A plates 
    You can meet the whole group at the EICMA motorcycle show in Beijing each May/June, held at the Agricultural Exhibition Centre on the east 3rd ring road, when they have a large display (last year they had about 20 wings there).

In the interim, drop by Qili (dealer's name) in south Beijing. I was there today and they have two used Gold Wings in the showroom (about 70K each w/o plates). Some Qili employees are Wing Riding Club members.

Here's where they are ...

Qili dealer 01.jpgQili dealer 02.jpg

Cheers
    Richard

5. #5 Re: looking for Honda Goldwing Jing A plates 
    FYI, saw another Wing a couple of days ago - Jialing dealer beside the Goldenport track.

Looked like a 2008 model (1800), white, with some type of yellow plate (perhaps there is a small chance it is legal from some "flexible" province). The thing dwarfed a 125 sitting next to it.

Over the decades, I've owned a few wings back home in Canada. Beautiful highway bikes that were ok in civilized city traffic ... but I really couldn't imagine riding one, efficiently, inside Beijing. I'd crack it up, or run over some e-bike, pedestrian or little dog.

But they sure are comfortable out on the road.

6. #6 Re: looking for Honda Goldwing Jing A plates 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear LJH,

I dropped in on the Hardley dealership here in Shanghai on Monday. Oh my god. The bikes they had on display were vast. Like Barcaloungers on wheels. Like upholstered wheelbarrows. Why anyone would try to maneouver a bike that big on any street in China is beyond me. Expressways, yes, and there are some brilliant ones in China. (Guiyang-Kunming, for starters.) But then there's all the brilliant bits in between that you'd never want to approach.

I've been out on my 600 a couple of times this week. It's about as much bike as I'd ever want to entrust myself with in China.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: looking for Honda Goldwing Jing A plates 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thank you for your feedback. i was quite busy this week and had no time to check into some shop dealers or Honda concessionary to see if they might be able to get Jing A plates.
    I know Wings are big bikes, but i need a comfy bike for both the driver and the passenger to ride all year long inside and around Beijing. For sure these big bikes are not for beginners ;)
    thank you for your support and ideas to help me find this kind of bikes.

Drive safe!

8. #8 Re: looking for Honda Goldwing Jing A plates 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Yves,

I hope you find something that works for you. As for big Europeans riding two-up, I submit the following -- with the caveat that this JH600 has been vastly upgraded from stock.

Pfaelzer's muddy two-up journey...

And Pfaelzer's exotic Jialing...

good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #9 Re: looking for Honda Goldwing Jing A plates 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I got to agree that a 'wing' and those big 'Hogs' are not the bike for China - certainly not the real China. I ride a large Dragstar 1100 - at least I thought it was large until I got my Jetmax, which is a huge maxi scooter and makes my Dragstar look like a small 250cc. When I have parked by some of the Harleys in my network of bikers/riders down these parts the Dragstar also looks small... go figure! The Wing is way to big of a bike to seriously ride as a daily ride... maybe ok for the long rides, like a group of us completed for the Chinese New Year (though I passed up my Dragstar in favour of my Jetmax). I like to ride most of the time, and while there are times when I use my car (cage) I do so with a sense of regret, which is why a Swift has been a godsend... hell I'd hate it to be stuck in a bigger car/cage. But I digress... My point is, what do you want a Gold-wing for?

Yves, if you want something comfortable that can do 'two-up' with some gear all year round, why not look for a Suzuki Burgman AN650 or similar maxi soot... now before you scoff, ride one... I'm sure it will put a smile on your dial and make you a convert. As an example - a diehard biker friend of mine was convinced by yours truly to consider a maxi scoot to have for his daily ride and keep his big cruiser for our long rides/adventures etc. as he was riding his beloved Dragstar daily, so he took the plunge. Now he raves about the merits of a maxi scoot. I've had my Jetmax up to an indicated 145km/h (139km/h GPS) and I have all the space, convenience and protection from the elements that I want. You'll likely have less issues with say the Burgman than you're likely to with the Gold-wing...

Don't mean to patronise you, but seriously give consideration and listen to those of us who know better about how things are here. Yes, you can get a Gold-wing, will it be legal... likely NO, can you get plates for it, YES but they're likely to be illegal unless YOU have the RIGHT connections where it matters. For those of us passionate enough about bikes a less than 100% legal plate becomes close to inevitable for the choice of a real good ride. That is slowly changing... CFMoto have the 650cc twin road sport, and will be releasing a 800cc twin cruiser/custom - both of these can be plated/licensed in China in relevant cities/territories that allow motorcycles.

Every day when I go to my garage and make my choice on what to ride or drive, my Jetmax wins nearly every single time... it's like a no brain'er. Sure I like my Dragstar, it looks great and rides great too, but a maxi scoot just can't compare IMO.

10. #10 Re: looking for Honda Goldwing Jing A plates 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    From the minimalist touring thread over at AVD..
    Ok here's my $0.02 on why America will never be a big 250 cc or less market. The country is too big, too spread out and has too many high speed roads with relatively little congestion. In the areas where we do have congestion, the rules and laws make it difficult to use a small bike to it's full potential. We got what.. one state that thinks it's cool to lane split?

If you take a good honest look at the roads that we travel everyday in America you will see that we spend a lot of time in the 55 MPH + range. A 45 MPH speed limit means that you have to do at least 55 just so you dont get pushed off the road. A 55 MPH limit means 65 + etc..

My first bike was an Xt 225 and I loved that thing. But after less then 1 year and 10,000 miles on it, the engine grenaded it self. While this was in fact covered under the extended warranty, the tech said that it was caused by excessive riding at " high speed" (WTF does high speed on a 225 mean? ) I only had it on I 95 for 1 exit 1 time in it's entire life and tried very hard to stick to the smaller back roads ( wasn't all that hard to do in rural GA.)

The type of riding I was doing was apparently just no match for a 225.

Now take a smaller country like Thailand, (where I am now). Here a 250c bike is ideal since you are not allowed to take any size motorcycle on an elevated highway but you are allowed to lane split and take some other liberties as well.
    Add in the fact that because of the congestion on, or conditions of the roads, you will be hard pressed to get over 55 MPH on any bike ( my 650 is over kill most of the time).

The fact is that some countries are just better suited for small bikes and others are not. Generally speaking...America is in the not category.

Now having said all of that, once I get bak to the states I'm going to look for a good used TW 200 for some single track fun.

Canoli

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast