Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Quite a Long Way Down by Gy200 - sorry Ewan ! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Two years ago on 19 April I pulled into the petrol station in Dover - it was 3 in the morning I was freezing cold - despite seven layers of clothing ( really!) to find my chain lube aerosol had rubbed through and coated the back of the bike with v sticky grease

I topped up the tank - a whole 3 litres and headed for the port - sheltered from the worst of the wind I wondered about my "plan" . The plan was to ride the 1250 miles from my home in Bedfordshire in the UK to Alicante in Southern Spain and not to make things too boring I was using my recently purchased GY200

Luckily this means just heading due South from my house - so hi tech navigation consisted of a car compass stuck to the headlight shroud ! DSCF0066.jpg Note the "keep right" on the handlebar pad - it worked and I avoided driving on the wrong side of the road the whole time ....

As is usual my biking mates had avised not to buy a Chinese bike as they depreciate quickly and are unreliable - so riding to Spain on one loaded with camping gear did surprise most of them ! My friend Keith came along with me on a Honda CB250 that was quite useful as a fuel back up - the GY tank only holding about 5 litres of fuel was a problem and meant many stops on the way . TBH that was a good thing as it allowed a bit of blood to flow to my legs while I filled the tank . I should also point out I am well over 6ft and 95kg so the bike did not have an easy run .

The early crossing to France meant we had clear roads as we set off into the light rain - that rain was to haunt us until crossing the Pyrenees .

By the end of that first day the sun appeared for a couple of hours so we could the tents up and dry some gear before I headed off to the local supermarket for Vin rouge ! DSCF0003.jpg

The next morning I donned my 7 layers of clothes/oversuits etc and topped them off with plastic bags on my hands to try and keep them dry , that worked except for when they blew off when I took my hands off the bars ! Avoiding major roads we made steady progress through France but it rained all day and it was apparent that as most sensible people do not camp in April most campsites were closed too As evening began to draw in we were lucky enough to find a place that was open as it was being refurbed - spent the evening cooking under dripping trees and drinking more vin rouge ! DSCF0007.jpg Sorry about the pic quality but I think it shows how soggy it was - had to park the bike on tarmac or the stand would sink into the grass.....

After another day spent looking for fuel station we were now in the foot hills of the Pyrenees , no problems with either bike , though I had run out of fuel about 10 miles from the nearest town . The CB donated a litre or so but as Keith "sped" off I noticed a streak of something in the road and the CB died after a couple of backfires - he had not put the fuel pipe back on the tank tap !

Another soggy evening with campfire cooked food DSCF0012.jpg

By the next morning there were signs the weather was looking up - even small bits of sun to be seen...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by bojer; 02-20-2011 at 07:39 PM.

2. #2 Re: Quite a Long Way Down by Gy200 - sorry Ewan ! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Heading into the Pyrenees was good for our morale and we started to really feel we were making progress - the roads through the Pyrenees were great even on a 200 trail bike with loads of luggage and no rear damping in the shock ! Eventually we reached the snow just before the Spanish border DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0024.jpgDSCF0025.jpgsnow.jpgDSCF0030.jpg

Suddenly we were at the Spanish border at the tunnel mouth

3. #3 Re: Quite a Long Way Down by Gy200 - sorry Ewan ! 
    C-Moto Regular
    border.jpg

After going through the tunnel for a mile or so we popped out into blazing sunshine - we pulled into a layby near a lake and I removed 5 layers clothing and consigned a fair bit of it to the bin at the roadside - it was good to be in the warmth of Spain !DSCF0034.jpgDSCF0037.jpgDSCF0039.jpgDSCF0041.jpg The contrast was amazing , just covering a few miles had changed the scenery and most imprtantly the temperature out of all recognition ! We now pressed on as I had planned just one overnight in Spain as there seems fewer campsites than France .

We spent that night at a site near a fishing lake and finally all my clothes were dry !! And instead of sheltering from the rain the trees provided some much needed shade !

4. #4 Re: Quite a Long Way Down by Gy200 - sorry Ewan ! 
    C-Moto Regular
    DSCF0042.jpg

Now we just had to follow the N330 to Alicannte - even my navigation skills are up to that , lots of variety on the road , winding steep mountains to wide open "as far as you can see" straights , a lot more petrol stations about so that reduced the fueling stress but I would top up the GY at just about every station I came to .

Then late in the afternoon we were there - safe and sound but a bit "saddle sore"
    DSCF0049.jpg next day I gave the bike a well deserved wash and check over - looking good !DSCF0075.jpgDSCF0073.jpg
    the little GY had carried me and a big pile of camping gear etc with no problems at all , not even a blown bulb or used any oil . I kept the speed down to a comfortable 55mph which gave a fuel consumption of about 80mpg and a full to stopped range of about 100miles . Without luggage the speedo could creep up to about 70+mph but it did not feel comfy for me or the bike .

TBH at this point I cheated and after a few days in the sun got Easy jet to fly me home leaving the GY to spend its time in the sun . The following year I flew in and confidently rode the bike back to the UK . Despite sitting for over a year the willing little bike fired up first kick ! - the benifit of a warm climate maybe but impressive nevertheless.

After I got back I changed the oil and gave the bike a check over before selling it on Ebay for £50 less than I bought it for - good value I thought for a cheapie European tourer !
    Attached Images

5. #5 Re: Quite a Long Way Down by Gy200 - sorry Ewan ! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Great report - thanks!

A question:

Riding a 200cc Chinese bike must have attracted some "interesting" attention from the wannabe-adventure-GS-riders that apparently crowd the European asphalt. Would they talk to you?

6. #6 Re: Quite a Long Way Down by Gy200 - sorry Ewan ! 
    bojer,
    Good ride report and photos.
    Thanks
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

7. #7 Re: Quite a Long Way Down by Gy200 - sorry Ewan ! 
    Thanks a lot for posting this Bojer, impressive stuff! Good to see some people have faith in china motos! Sure they're not the best but still a lot of fun to be had on them!

What do you ride now?

8. #8 Re: Quite a Long Way Down by Gy200 - sorry Ewan ! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Bojer,

Great report. That takes some gumption to embark on a transcontinental ride with a 5 liter tank! I think you were right to flog that bike and step up to a 250. Good luck with the new bike, and keep us posted about your new adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    ...What do you ride now?
    Check out Bojer's earlier thread. Says he's just bought a CCM CXR230 aka Loncin LX250.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #9 Re: Quite a Long Way Down by Gy200 - sorry Ewan ! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Great report - thanks!

A question:

Riding a 200cc Chinese bike must have attracted some "interesting" attention from the wannabe-adventure-GS-riders that apparently crowd the European asphalt. Would they talk to you?
    Funny thing was we never saw any on the twisty little roads or even in the Pyrenees ! On the way back met some at the port - funnily enough we had done about twice the distance they had I have to admit they gave respect for having done it on a Chinese bike but TBH it was no hardhsip and even just going along at 55mph ish it has to rate as one of my best "fun" motorcycling in 30 odd years

10. #10 Re: Quite a Long Way Down by Gy200 - sorry Ewan ! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bojer View Post
    Funny thing was we never saw any on the twisty little roads or even in the Pyrenees ! On the way back met some at the port - funnily enough we had done about twice the distance they had I have to admit they gave respect for having done it on a Chinese bike but TBH it was no hardhsip and even just going along at 55mph ish it has to rate as one of my best "fun" motorcycling in 30 odd years
    Let the miles do the talking. Way to go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast